Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Lambman wrote: »
    Anybody any advice on what till do with a ewe panting away? Would remind u off a texel ram that had texel throat? She'd be a well bred texel first lamber she's in serious good condition but panting the whole time.

It's hard to give you advice without seeing her. It would help if you could distinguish whether it was the upper tract or the lungs that were in trouble.
    If it were the upper tract and she's no temperature then you should give her a new home. Abattoir.
    Upper and a temperature then it's talk to your vet for a ling course of antibiotics.

If it were the lungs then check temperature but it's most likely a job for antibiotics. Ewes often carry bad lung abscesses and would still be in good nick, but one could have broken down. Or it could be a new infection.

No matter which, given that it's Friday evening, your only choice looks like antibiotics. Maybe bring her into vet as you collect them?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

They were well bred ewes I bought and youd a heard them panting odd time in the fields and when they were being shifted but this ewe is at it all the time now. I have a thermometer there never took her temperature but gonna be running nthem in tomorrow nanyways till weigh rams so I'll do it then and leave her handy till see what vet says.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

They were well bred ewes I bought and youd a heard them panting odd time in the fields and when they were being shifted but this ewe is at it all the time now. I have a thermometer there never took her temperature but gonna be running nthem in tomorrow nanyways till weigh rams so I'll do it then and leave her handy till see what vet says.

take a video and post it to texel facebook page i'm sure they will know what it is :cool:
    breeding for fashion over function, big heads and no neck reduced lung capacity aka texel throat = bad husbandry

don't keep anything bred by them butcher the lot and cull the lot of them if you can. will be cheaper than paying the knacker to take them one at a time or thinking you can treat it with antibiotics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have a creep feeder out with lambs, the feeder feeds 16 lambs at a time but it seems its only the same lambs that get in first and eat the majority of the feed and this obvious due to there performance, would 2 feeders be needed or just add more feed to the current feeder so that it would last longer. 80 lambs in group

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

DJ98 wrote: »
    Have a creep feeder out with lambs, the feeder feeds 16 lambs at a time but it seems its only the same lambs that get in first and eat the majority of the feed and this obvious due to there performance, would 2 feeders be needed or just add more feed to the current feeder so that it would last longer. 80 lambs in group

Creep feeders have to have feed in them all the time, lambs will get hurt and killed even if you let it empty for a while causing a rush when it is filled.
    A creep feeder that holds 16 lambs is big enough for 80 lambs if there's feed in it all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

wrangler wrote: »

Creep feeders have to have feed in them all the time, lambs will get hurt and killed even if you let it empty for a while causing a rush when it is filled.
    A creep feeder that holds 16 lambs is big enough for 80 lambs if there's feed in it all the time

How much meal would you want it to keep it constantly full?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

However much it takes??

If its empty add more.......be sure no sheep getting heads into it though

Lambs would eat between .5 kg and 1kg per day so 80 lambs would be eating 40 to 80 kg/day.
    If you want to feed them less, you'd need to feed them in troughs where they can all eat at the same time

Done a few dry hoggets this morning for a man who buys lambs every year and runs them on till hoggets he works 2 weeks on 2 off opposite shifts till the brother. He wreckons breeding hoggets will be cheap this year and is going to run a ram with them and sell them scanned in lamb. Thoughts on this as I'd say that's a very very bad idea for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Done a few dry hoggets this morning for a man who buys lambs every year and runs them on till hoggets he works 2 weeks on 2 off opposite shifts till the brother. He wreckons breeding hoggets will be cheap this year and is going to run a ram with them and sell them scanned in lamb. Thoughts on this as I'd say that's a very very bad idea for them?

I would agree with your thoughts, men usually won’t pay anymore for them scanned in lamb as they like t have them bought and put to their own choice of ram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Sheepman2

Hard to know what way it will go, men who could have got stung selling hoggets last autumn may have killed most of theirs this march/april, which could mean less hoggets on the market and a better price this autumn.
    Or could be like myself and kept them on in hope that the theory above is true :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Can he not try sell them and if they dont make what he wants bring them home and let our the ram?
    Selling scanned in lamb could mean hed have to sell in separate lots, singles twins etc. and then what about the dry ones? Not to talk about the extra few months of feeding.

I would agree with your thoughts, men usually won’t pay anymore for them scanned in lamb as they like t have them bought and put to their own choice of ram.

As we have seen here some don't care what sort of a screw of a ram they put them with..... and as for required vaccinations, what's those

Clipped a few hoggets for a cousin yesterday evening found maggots on 4 a them a good few aswell... They had the skin cleaned but weren't into the flesh yet but I'd say even a couple days more they would made a good mess. They would be in fields beside the salt water which the wreckon is worse for flystrike? Would they be better cliked or spray dipped? He wouldn't have access till a Dipper tank. Just clipped so shower might not be much good what you wreckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭kk.man

Clipped a few hoggets for a cousin yesterday evening found maggots on 4 a them a good few aswell... They had the skin cleaned but weren't into the flesh yet but I'd say even a couple days more they would made a good mess. They would be in fields beside the salt water which the wreckon is worse for flystrike? Would they be better cliked or spray dipped? He wouldn't have access till a Dipper tank. Just clipped so shower might not be much good what you wreckon?

High ditches another issue and cattle grazed with sheep.

They won't get maggots for three or four weeks after shearing and then Clik them, problem solved for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

They won't get maggots for three or four weeks after shearing and then Clik them, problem solved for the year

This time every year, I threaten to go down the route of eaycare and forget about it after shearing. Some year I’m going to take the leap and try a batch of them at the least.

I'd say your right Wrangler. They weren't in the skin so the shears got rid a them for now. Pressure is well and truly on with the shearing weather was brutal for 2 weeks then 1 decent week now looks like rain for another week add in seeing maggots this early I may throw away my phone.

I'd say your right Wrangler. They weren't in the skin so the shears got rid a them for now. Pressure is well and truly on with the shearing weather was brutal for 2 weeks then 1 decent week now looks like rain for another week add in seeing maggots this early I may throw away my phone.

I've been there too.... at least then we didn't have mobile phones.
    You've probably more farmers prepared to put them in a shed now than we had,
    Farmers will just have to make the effort now for the shearer or wait for the weather to take up..... whenever that is

This time every year, I threaten to go down the route of eaycare and forget about it after shearing. Some year I’m going to take the leap and try a batch of them at the least.

I don't know, I bought some ''Pedigree'' Lleyn ewes last year and they're all losing their wool now...... some mess around the field, seems to be no proper registration for Lleyns, their could be anything in them.
    The graw is gone off me now for them,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

What's the process of getting a flock number when you already have a herd number lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What's the process of getting a flock number when you already have a herd number lads.

I think the herd number does the job for both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

I don't know, I bought some ''Pedigree'' Lleyn ewes last year and they're all losing their wool now...... some mess around the field, seems to be no proper registration for Lleyns, their could be anything in them.
    The graw is gone off me now for them,

Yep totally agree, but when you find good ones they are excellent. Will be still used here in maternal breeding plan but with significantly reduced influence maybe every 2nd generation and from much narrower source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yeah, as charolais said, one number does both.

You just have to notify the Dept to get a flock register and movement dockets and you too can do your penance before you pass on:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Yeah, as charolais said, one number does both.

You just have to notify the Dept to get a flock register and movement dockets and you too can do your penance before you pass on:p

Would this work other way too....if i was to buy odd calve etc

Would it work for poultry/pigs aswell??

Be wicked handy,if so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

_blaaz wrote: »

Be wicked handy,if so

I'm assuming it would, once the Dept were notified so the boxes could be ticked and the relevant paperwork is forwarded to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

_blaaz wrote: »

Be wicked handy,if so

You need a pig number anyways , don’t know about poultry

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Flock number won't do for cattle I don't think. You need a herd number. I could be wrong! Think it's to do with needing a crush for TB testing cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭orm0nd

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Flock number won't do for cattle I don't think. You need a herd number. I could be wrong! Think it's to do with needing a crush for TB testing cattle.

Correct it varies from dvo to dvo or even different inspectors. A crush and isolation shed for a sick animal are top requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Any good sheep events on this summer ?

Advertisement