Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hi All,

What is meant by 3rd and 4th crop ewes? seen some ads on DD advertising them and wondering what it means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Hi All,

What is meant by 3rd and 4th crop ewes? seen some ads on DD advertising them and wondering what it means.

They've lambed 3 and 4 times already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Bought duotech in local coop last week the withdrawal is 18 days as stated on the back off it. Anyways the guy behind the counter told me it's now upped till 35 or something like that. Anybody hear anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lambman wrote: »
    Bought duotech in local coop last week the withdrawal is 18 days as stated on the back off it. Anyways the guy behind the counter told me it's now upped till 35 or something like that. Anybody hear anything?

Yea, it's 42 days now, it's always good to check the HPRA websites for anything you might be using, The packaging can be out of date

http://www.hpra.ie/homepage/veterinary/safety-information/safety-notices/item?t=/duotech-oral-suspension-for-sheep-parafend-plus-oral-suspension---change-to-the-meat-withdrawal-period&id=a0600b26-9782-6eee-9b55-ff00008c97d0

When did it change? You'd think they would send out stickers till all suppliers till put on the older jars. What would happen if I sent lambs away after 18 days and they were tested in factory or how does that work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Lambman wrote: »
    When did it change? You'd think they would send out stickers till all suppliers till put on the older jars. What would happen if I sent lambs away after 18 days and they were tested in factory or how does that work?

It Changed last December. My bottle has the old date on it as well. Suppose in the factory, you’d have some questions to answer and probably involve a long process of proving your case. If you were caught, I’m told the factory would you on a black list of suppliers, so better safe then sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

What do people usually do with overweight lambs? Factory? Mart?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

If showing sheep for first time since the new electronic era for lambs came in can you continue to use and finish out the last Sheep Despatch book you had?

Or do you have to leave remainder of it blank and start using the ‘new’ one that arrived on the post recently?....

Appreciate any replies ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

If showing sheep for first time since the new electronic era for lambs came in can you continue to use and finish out the last Sheep Despatch book you had?

Or do you have to leave remainder of it blank and start using the ‘new’ one that arrived on the post recently?....

Appreciate any replies ASAP.

To best my knowledge you have to use the new book since june 1st

Theres a barcode or something on it,that can in theory be read

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Country lad

You have to use the new book as it has two Barcodes.on it as old books have only one

• Advertisement

You don't have till use the new book. I've 2 old books as well as one I was sent out but as long as there is 2 barcodes on them there fine.

Metheman I don't know but I've 60+ overweight lambs price has surely bottomed out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭arctictree

Saw some lads arguing in the Mart earlier. One of them had bought a pen of ewe lambs and a few of them had pig mouth (over shot jaw). Insisted the seller take the lambs back. Surely its buyer beware here? Apparantly not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

arctictree wrote: »
    Saw some lads arguing in the Mart earlier. One of them had bought a pen of ewe lambs and a few of them had pig mouth (over shot jaw). Insisted the seller take the lambs back. Surely its buyer beware here? Apparantly not.

All animals are sold as seen i taught in mart??

Unless stated as maiden and incalf etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Maybe in a mart, where most end up being bought by butcher or factory, it wouldn’t matter, but they’d be no good to someone wanting them as breeding stock. I got caught myself a few years back. I bought a pig mouthed ram at a pedigree society sale of a maternal breed. I never checked before hand, as saw the judges checking them and the ram was from the 1st placed pen of rams on the day and he had 5 stars. I was totally disgusted and I slaughtered him a few months later. Id view that society with disgust today and would never buy from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

_blaaz wrote: »
    All animals are sold as seen i taught in mart??

Unless stated as maiden and incalf etc??

If they were sold as breeding stock, then there might be some comeback?

The mart insisted that the seller take the lambs back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Were they getting breeding price?

ganmo wrote: »
    Were they getting breeding price?

A very small premium on factory price, if any.

A very small premium on factory price, if any.

I'd probably tell the mart to offer it to the underbidder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

Sorry for my ignorance but what harm is this so called 'pig mouth' anyway ?

Sami23 wrote: »
    Sorry for my ignorance but what harm is this so called 'pig mouth' anyway ?

They cant eat full mouthfuls of grass so they loose condition faster and are slower to put it back on

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

I’m sure there’s a sign in our local mart office that you have an hour after the hammer falls to throw back any animals with faults.

I don't know how we've managed it but one of our Suffolk rams has stayed clean all year. Its so strange to see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭kk.man

I don't know how we've managed it but one of our Suffolk rams has stayed clean all year. Its so strange to see

It's the weather...little lush grass about.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

a pigs mouth is undershot ie. lower jaw is shorter
    a fish mouth is overshot ie. lower jaw is longer

over shot very common, many don't know or care but buyer beware, always check before u bid

kk.man wrote: »
    It's the weather...little lush grass about.

Then why isn't the other Suffolk ram clean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Then why isn't the other Suffolk ram clean?

Could be breeding too - can you tell if the difference came through in the lambs?

Just got a payment for the sheep tag subsidy. 68 feckin euro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Just got a payment for the sheep tag subsidy. 68 feckin euro.

Don’t spend it all in the one sweet-shop!!!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement