Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

arctictree wrote: »
    Just got a payment for the sheep tag subsidy. 68 feckin euro.

You could start a dairy beef herd with that;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Can freshly sheared cull ewes be brought to the factory ? Or is there something about having to leave them a few weeks ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Can freshly sheared cull ewes be brought to the factory ? Or is there something about having to leave them a few weeks ?

I cant see why not???

Id imagine it would be more preferable....unless they are marked/cut??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

_blaaz wrote: »
    I cant see why not???

Id imagine it would be more preferable....unless they are marked/cut??

Some time factories act the pup if lambs are freshly shorn and penalise but never heard of ewes being penalised for it

wrangler wrote: »
    Some time factories act the pup if lambs are freshly shorn and penalise but never heard of ewes being penalised for it

Fair enough, I can work away pulling together a few culls for the factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hello All. Have lambs in reseeded field and grass is a big long. Few of them lame presumably scald. What would be the least langue intensive option for me. I heard that mixing blue stone in water and bathing them helps. Any ideas?

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Hello All. Have lambs in reseeded field and grass is a big long. Few of them lame presumably scald. What would be the least langue intensive option for me. I heard that mixing blue stone in water and bathing them helps. Any ideas?

Yea, that or zinc sulphate, we stand them in a footbath of Zinc sulphate regularly for 5mins as preventative but it cures as well. Bluestone (copper sulphate) works too but it rots Galvanise anywhere it splashes, it would destroy a handling unit
    You could also just use the blue foot spray on the lame ones, you'd get it at any agrimerchant, if you want one with an antibiotic in it you'd have to go to a vet
    What ever you put on their feet you need to leave them stand in a clean concrete yard to dry in for 30mins after to work effectively otherwise the grass will just take it off in the first few steps

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea, that or zinc sulphate, we stand them in a footbath of Zinc sulphate regularly for 5mins as preventative but it cures as well. Bluestone (copper sulphate) works too but it rots Galvanise anywhere it splashes, it would destroy a handling unit
    You could also just use the blue foot spray on the lame ones, you'd get it at any agrimerchant, if you want one with an antibiotic in it you'd have to go to a vet
    What ever you put on their feet you need to leave them stand in a clean concrete yard to dry in for 30mins after to work effectively otherwise the grass will just take it off in the first few steps

Thanks Wrangler. The spray sounds like a good idea. Thanks allot.

Anyone have sheep 6ft penning gates by O’Donnell engineering ? Wondering if their any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Anyone have sheep 6ft penning gates by O’Donnell engineering ? Wondering if their any good ?

their kit would be well constructed, however their designs leave a lot to desired in some places

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    their kit would be well constructed, however their designs leave a lot to desired in some places

You got any of their hurdles ormond ? It’s only hurdles I need to buy some over the next few days and Stanley are out of stock atm, so I was just thinking about O’Donnell’s. The lugs look good and solid on them( in the pics) anyway. Not to many places around left making their own and a lot of lads are just buying in the ones from China, so looking for something solid that won’t fall apart.

You got any of their hurdles ormond ? It’s only hurdles I need to buy some over the next few days and Stanley are out of stock atm, so I was just thinking about O’Donnell’s. The lugs look good and solid on them( in the pics) anyway. Not to many places around left making their own and a lot of lads are just buying in the ones from China, so looking for something solid that won’t fall apart.

No, have some of cow cubicles and very happy

Odonnells stuff is certainly well done

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I spilt some sheep dip in the boot of my car last week and the smell is still there.

Have washed with diluted bleach but didn’t make much difference.

Is there any quick tip to neutralise the smell? Or is it the case that it’ll just have to fade over time?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I spilt some sheep dip in the boot of my car last week and the smell is still there.

Have washed with diluted bleach but didn’t make much difference.

Is there any quick tip to neutralise the smell? Or is it the case that it’ll just have to fade over time?

That’s a tough smell to get rid off...

Can you take out the mat in the boot -might be the easiest option? Failing that, would baking soda do any good (not sure why I have it in my head, maybe I read somewhere that it’s good for smells?)

Try some dry coffee granules over the spill, they should get rid of it, also a cut onion in half absorbs fumes.

Thanks folks.

The carpet/mat in the boot is fixed under the backseat so I can't take it out.

I'll try all of the suggestions. Just hope herself doesn't miss the coffee, baking soda, and lemon from the kitchen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Happy with Gibney 8ft hurdles here

Thanks folks.

The carpet/mat in the boot is fixed under the backseat so I can't take it out.

I'll try all of the suggestions. Just hope herself doesn't miss the coffee, baking soda, and lemon from the kitchen!

Just to close this out - I tried the coffee first and it seems to have worked. Will hold the baking soda and lemon in reserve for now.

Thanks again for the help

Happy with Gibney 8ft hurdles here

They were on my list of places to try as well, as I like the ritchie stuff, but their closed for next two weeks on summer holidays.

Not to many places around left making their own and a lot of lads are just buying in the ones from China, so looking for something solid that won’t fall apart.

Was thinking of this post earlier when I was in a merchant's yard. Spotted some hurdles in the corner and went over for a look. Lightest yokes I have ever seen and how they stood the galvanising is a miracle.

• Advertisement

Was thinking of this post earlier when I was in a merchant's yard. Spotted some hurdles in the corner and went over for a look. Lightest yokes I have ever seen and how they stood the galvanising is a miracle.

That’s the trouble these days. Very hard to buy hurdles without seeing them in the flesh. You really cannt tell without lifting them and seeing the weight. I popped in to o’donnells and their hurdles were good and solid. They were out of the exact size I was looking for, but will be in stock soon again. To be honest o’donnells felt like a far superior gate to my cormac ones. I’d say a way heavier steel. Felt way stronger and noticeably heavier to lift.

That’s the trouble these days. Very hard to buy hurdles without seeing them in the flesh. You really cannt tell without lifting them and seeing the weight. I popped in to o’donnells and their hurdles were good and solid. They were out of the exact size I was looking for, but will be in stock soon again. To be honest o’donnells felt like a far superior gate to my cormac ones. I’d say a way heavier steel. Felt way stronger and noticeably heavier to lift.

https://www.donedeal.ie/sheep-for-sale/sheep-race-and-feeding-equipment/21775087
    local guy here used to make stuff, don't know anything about him,, might be in Tullamore show, don't know if he's still making stuff now or just selling it

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Hi folks just wondering here but what are yous mineral wise giving your ewes pre tupping ? Use to give drenches here but last year moved to boluses but found it made no difference just more expensive! So I’d ask and see what products you folks are using for ewes. Thanks to any responses

Young95 wrote: »
    Hi folks just wondering here but what are yous mineral wise giving your ewes pre tupping ? Use to give drenches here but last year moved to boluses but found it made no difference just more expensive! So I’d ask and see what products you folks are using for ewes. Thanks to any responses

Animax here but we need a lot of cobalt

Wouldn’t be a certain grain merchants yard ? If it’s the same yard, I saw some thrown in the left hand corner a few months ago. I went back to o’donnells and bought some gates yesterday. Was using them today. A really solid product. Hope to get years out of them.

Wouldn’t be a certain grain merchants yard ? If it’s the same yard, I saw some thrown in the left hand corner a few months ago. I went back to o’donnells and bought some gates yesterday. Was using them today. A really solid product. Hope to get years out of them.

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone planning on changing there breeding rams this year, as in changing breed, thinking of replacing the Suffolk rams here with something like a Hampshire down, any pros or cons?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

DJ98 wrote: »
    Anyone planning on changing there breeding rams this year, as in changing breed, thinking of replacing the Suffolk rams here with something like a Hampshire down, any pros or cons?

Bought a vendeen ram. We will see how it goes sure

DJ98 wrote: »

When you can breeding rams, is it for replacements or just for butchers stock ? The Suffolk ewes are always a good seller for replacements, but I ain’t heard much about hamsphires.

• Advertisement

Bought a vendeen ram. We will see how it goes sure

Who bred him

Advertisement