Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

DJ98 wrote: »
    Anyone planning on changing there breeding rams this year, as in changing breed, thinking of replacing the Suffolk rams here with something like a Hampshire down, any pros or cons?

Picked up two Chartex rams this morning. Will tell ya how they go when we’re selling the lambs next April

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Send me some pictures siamsa if u can... They look serious sheep. Friarstown charollais has some clinkers for the big boy ram sale. I sent u the pictures before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Picked up two Chartex rams this morning. Will tell ya how they go when we’re selling the lambs next April

Hoping to get one next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

For factory lambs the HD is hard to beat. Always first on the trailor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

_blaaz wrote:
    Sold 41kg (well 40.8) lambs earlier this week....made e99

If your on Facebook Wrangler look up friarstown charrlois he has some clinkers

• Advertisement

Lambman wrote: »
    If your on Facebook Wrangler look up friarstown charrlois he has some clinkers

I know, they're fine sheep, what about the blue texel, I'm doing the inspections at their premier sale on friday in tullamore, My nephew is using them and they seem to be quicker than texels. great conformation
    Don't need a ram this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Have a lot of lambs coughing the last week or two. It's like a pub beer garden on a Saturday night in the yard after running them in. Fluke I'm guessing? Mostly the heavier lambs, but the withdrawl on the dose we use is 42 days. Any dose ye know of that has shorter withdrawl?

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Have a lot of lambs coughing the last week or two. It's like a pub beer garden on a Saturday night in the yard after running them in. Fluke I'm guessing? Mostly the heavier lambs, but the withdrawl on the dose we use is 42 days. Any dose ye know of that has shorter withdrawl?

Unlikely to be fluke this young, we use a yellow worm dose (Levamisoles)if we've coughing as it covers lungworm

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

wrangler wrote: »
    Unlikely to be fluke this young, we use a yellow worm dose (Levamisoles)if we've coughing as it covers lungworm

They were doesed with parafend about 4 weeks ago. It covers lungworm. Maybe time for another dose. Only 10 day withdrawal on that.

MeTheMan wrote: »
    They were doesed with parafend about 4 weeks ago. It covers lungworm. Maybe time for another dose. Only 10 day withdrawal on that.

I'm not a vet but it works here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Anyone any experience of dealing with scrapie?

ganmo wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of dealing with scrapie?

Have you a case, it used to be a road to riches, now it's just a pain.
    It's a notifiable disease.

No, a ewe we sold years ago but its splashing back on us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

What would you be expecting to pay for 3/4 yr old mountain ewes? Would between 70 and 80 be reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Seen some on done deal today at €150

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

What would you be expecting to pay for 3/4 yr old mountain ewes? Would between 70 and 80 be reasonable?

Yes.

The alternative market for them is culling.

Say they’re 60kg and KO at 45%, giving 27kg dead-weight. Factories are paying 2.80-ish so that’s 75.60

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Murang

Any one in maam today for mule sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I was in Borris yesterday for the show sale. A great display of stock. You could safely bring home any pen of farmers sellers sheep. 150 to 250€

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Willfarman wrote: »
    I was in Borris yesterday for the show sale. A great display of stock. You could safely bring home any pen of farmers sellers sheep. 150 to 250€

Seen on farmers journal Snapchat, is their a premium on the whiter heads, it seemed that way to me

Seen on farmers journal Snapchat, is their a premium on the whiter heads, it seemed that way to me

Generally the speckled faces get a premium, definately as ewe lambs anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

It’s a combination of great power length, speckled head and a little sharpness to the features.

When would be the ideal time to shear March born ewe lambs?
    What are the advantages of shearing ewe lambs?

I hope to shear them this week, They're cleaner for lambing and they grow better

I hope to shear them this week, They're cleaner for lambing and they grow better

How does it effect growth rates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It increases it if anything. Shearing is better too if you're breeding ewe lambs as its easier for the ram to be on target.

Might be just imagination but my shearer has 1000 store lambs to shear so someone else thinks they grow better too. The ewe lambs are much cleaner for housing and lambing too
    I finally got mine in dry this evening so shearing at 8.30 in the morning, I shear all my sheep this time of the year so it's convenient to do the ewe lambs as well

Might be just imagination but my shearer has 1000 store lambs to shear so someone else thinks they grow better too. The ewe lambs are much cleaner for housing and lambing too
    I finally got mine in dry this evening so shearing at 8.30 in the morning, I shear all my sheep this time of the year so it's convenient to do the ewe lambs as well
    Would they have to be kept in for a while after shearing or would they be all right going straight back out?

Would they have to be kept in for a while after shearing or would they be all right going straight back out?

Mine go straight back out, but you have to watch for chills on a wet night, but I've ever only had one or two cases and you'll get that much with may/ june shearing

Mine go straight back out, but you have to watch for chills on a wet night, but I've ever only had one or two cases and you'll get that much with may/ june shearing
    Thanks wrangler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

The theory is they eat more to keep warm and as a consequence growth faster

Advertisement