Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Will he be for the freezer ? There seems to be a lot of lameness across flicks this year. Is there any specific reason for it ?

No I'd say . a good bit of LA.eness alright but nothing formalin didn't solve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

No I'd say . a good bit of LA.eness alright but nothing formalin didn't solve

Lmaeness is only a problem at 6 wks if you don't deal with it then, I often had to carry one into the yard and he'd be jumping around in two days after footbathing, lambs are born with soft feet and are easy scalded when they're young, especially if there's good grass after mild winterbut iits never an issue after first footbathing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

rangler1 wrote: »
    Lmaeness is only a problem at 6 wks if you don't deal with it then, I often had to carry one into the yard and he'd be jumping around in two days after footbathing, lambs are born with soft feet and are easy scalded when they're young, especially if there's good grass after mild winterbut iits never an issue after first footbathing

I tried foot bathing last weekend......had to call it off no lambs would go trough it, ewes turning back, lambs getting trampled and me getting vexed.

How do you do it??

roosky wrote: »
    I tried foot bathing last weekend......had to call it off no lambs would go trough it, ewes turning back, lambs getting trampled and me getting vexed.

How do you do it??

Was it in a cattle crush.
    put in a few ewes with the top of the race closed. Open the gate and start having the lambs following the ewes . the majority will go through but for the rest of them I'll just dip their feet in the foothbath

Was it in a cattle crush.
    put in a few ewes with the top of the race closed. Open the gate and start having the lambs following the ewes . the majority will go through but for the rest of them I'll just dip their feet in the foothbath

I tried to run approx 160 lambs and their mother through, ended up with all ewes and about 10 lambs gone through footbath,

What are you foot bathing with

• Advertisement

I tried to run approx 160 lambs and their mother through, ended up with all ewes and about 10 lambs gone through footbath,

What are you foot bathing with

Formalin. Smaller bunches of about 50 ewes tho

How do you do it??

I know what your going through.
    when I used the race for small lambs I found that lifting them manually in was the best, I'd have a pen beside the race the length of the race and pick up the lambs and put them over the side into the footbath....trying to get them in through the end is a waste of time they just turn and come back.
    After getting vexed a few times I eventually dug a hole and lined it with concrete and put some penning around it
    It measures about 12ft by 10 ft and I just rush them into it with the ewes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Stop vexed is tfe word. One tip that we do is run them trough it without any liquid in it first maybe 2 times. They're not as afraid if the race itself then

Stop vexed is tfe word. One tip that we do is run them trough it without any liquid in it first maybe 2 times. They're not as afraid if the race itself then

Just after talking to a neighbour that puts straw in the footbath and uses formalin, he says they run through no problem with the ewes......with formalin it's enough to just run through, no need for them to just stand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Just treated a ewe with very bad pneumonia. Gave her 2.5mls of Draxxin so we'll see how it works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Just after talking to a neighbour that puts straw in the footbath and uses formalin, he says they run through no problem with the ewes......with formalin it's enough to just run through, no need for them to just stand

Is there any water in it when he's doin that?
    Would the straw help clean the hooves too?

ganmo wrote: »
    Is there any water in it when he's doin that?
    Would the straw help clean the hooves too?

Yea, I think the proportion is only two percent formalin in the water and the straw is only to blind the water so they'd be less afraid of it, liquid would come up through the straw when they walk on it.
    I'm sure someone will be along to say what the concentration for farmalin is

Yea, I think the proportion is only two percent formalin in the water and the straw is only to blind the water so they'd be less afraid of it, liquid would come up through the straw when they walk on it.
    I'm sure someone will be along to say what the concentration for farmalin is
    Might try that!
    It'll help reduce slashes too

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

I lost two lambs 6 week old lambs last week got results back from lab.
    As suspected high worm burden (neamadrious) and some Coccidiosis.

I dosed everything with vecoxan and white drench just wonder how soon should I repeat white drench.

Vet suggested dosing again a week to 10 days after first dose. Is this to soon?

Does the organic matter k the stra not render the formalin useless after a oeiod of time. The concentration is 3-5%i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Does the organic matter k the stra not render the formalin useless after a oeiod of time. The concentration is 3-5%i think

I imagine evaporation us a bigger issue?

But I did read somewhere before that it weakens it (much like putting them straight onto grass after it)...

-yes I know this has been debunked by Ganmo!

I imagine evaporation us a bigger issue?

But I did read somewhere before that it weakens it (much like putting them straight onto grass after it)...

-yes I know this has been debunked by Ganmo!

Yea I always thought that formalin deteriorated very quick too,
    It's expensive to make up my footbath, I use Zinc sulphate and I can leave it for 2 or three weeks before i change it, I often used it effectively when it was like watery slurry and it still worked.....don't think that formalin would stay active that long.
    I use a hydrometer to test it and if it's near 10% zinc sulphate, I can work away

I think it I'd be risking the straw in the formalin if it's as easy as my friend says it was, have no reason to doubt him, he put 300 lambs with their ewes through it on tuesday evening

Yea I always thought that formalin deteriorated very quick too,
    It's expensive to make up my footbath, I use Zinc sulphate and I can leave it for 2 or three weeks before i change it, I often used it effectively when it was like watery slurry and it still worked.....don't think that formalin would stay active that long.
    I use a hydrometer to test it and if it's near 10% zinc sulphate, I can work away

I think it I'd be risking the straw in the formalin if it's as easy as my friend says it was, have no reason to doubt him, he put 300 lambs with their ewes through it on tuesday evening

What is the cost of zinc sulphate??

(Roughly)
    We do find the formalin very effective and suits as only part time and has tone be time effective...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

What is the cost of zinc sulphate??

(Roughly)
    We do find the formalin very effective and suits as only part time and has tone be time effective...

30- 32 euro for 25 kgs

find it very effective

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    30- 32 euro for 25 kgs

find it very effective

everything works if it only scalds that you're dealing with.....just to get around to doing it. I often got good results from formalin just by making a pen and race with footbaths in the field and letting them make their own way out of it, but the grass would have to be very dry. When I bought the cormac footbaths first there used to be 2 inch sponges in them,... same effect as the straw i suppose
    I'm asthmatic and formalin seems to be a trigger and sometimes can take weeks for my breathing to settle after an attack, so best to avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

30- 32 euro for 25 kgs

find it very effective

everything works if it only scalds that you're dealing with.....just to get around to doing it. I often got good results from formalin just by making a pen and race with footbaths in the field and letting them make their own way out of it, but the grass would have to be very dry. When I bought the cormac footbaths first there used to be 2 inch sponges in them,... same effect as the straw i suppose
    I'm asthmatic and formalin seems to be a trigger and sometimes can take weeks for my breathing to settle after an attack, so best to avoid
    Why & how much straw do you use?

Farrell wrote: »
    Why & how much straw do you use?

As i said it's my neighbour uses the straw so i wouldn't know.
    Id imagine that you'd use enough that they don't see the water but that when they walk on it the liquid oozes up through the straw,
    There seems to be a lot of lameness around due probably to the mild winter and lambs are going out on longer grass than usual

a mobile race is what we use both in the yard and outfarm & some rented

secret is to set it up so that the sheep think they are "escaping" we used to use straw but don't bother anymore

get a couple of aged ewes up front and the remainder usually follow

i have 4 pet lambs on ad lib cold milk they are drinking up to 2 liters each per day, but only eating about 150 g of meal how would i get them eating more meal without starving them of milk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Great idea ðŸ‘

serious pnuemonia outbreak in the breeding rams,

1 dead and the rest being pumped with antibotics

bank holiday my arse :(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

serious pnuemonia outbreak in the breeding rams,

1 dead and the rest being pumped with antibotics

bank holiday my arse :(:(:(:(

Would have thought they'd be ok this time of year, given they haven't been working for a few months and so should be well recovered from the autumn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Ran 1 lot off the ewes in today dosed them for worms with intention on doing lambs aswell but ended up leaving it as there are none dirty and some lambs are only a few weeks old oldest is 6 weeks roughly... wats the youngest you'd dose a lamb as everyone's lambing is roughly 3-4 weeks long so that's the gap in the age off the lambs and recommend dose lambs at 6 weeks but that means the youngest might only be 2 weeks...

• Advertisement

Would have thought they'd be ok this time of year, given they haven't been working for a few months and so should be well recovered from the autumn?

I wondered this too

As I went to buy a hogged ram before,but your man wouldn't sell him to me as it had pneumonia the year before and he couldn't gaunentee it

Any ever get rams fertility tested

Advertisement