Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Previous history of prolapse, we cull anything that prolapse here and their lambs too as there's a genetic link to it as well.

Thankfully haven't had a prolapse in years now.

Again Texels here would be prone to it, much more than than pedigree vendeens that'd be prolific ,they'd be carrying a lot of lambs and usually overfat all of which you'd expect to cause prolapse.
    We reckon here at about 1 -2% prolapse and since we started using harnesses we never got much trouble so it's not too onerous

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

wrangler wrote: »
    Again Texels here would be prone to it, much more than than pedigree vendeens that'd be prolific ,they'd be carrying a lot of lambs and usually overfat all of which you'd expect to cause prolapse.
    We reckon here at about 1 -2% prolapse and since we started using harnesses we never got much trouble so it's not too onerous

It was a Texel- cross ewe here. I was taking a ewe that lambed out of the group pen on Thursday and forgot to close the little gate. A few of the others got out and found a bag of meal that was open.

I’m wondering now if the prolapse ewe gorged on it and that set her off. Would that be likely to have been a factor?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Homemade harness and the prolapse itself are still in place this evening so that seems to have worked - thanks everyone for the advice and instructions.

Next issue now is preventing twin-lamb disease. She hadn’t been eating properly for the last 2 days while we were trying to get the prolapse sorted. Have been giving her Chanatol and calcium into the muscle, plus ivy to eat so fingers crossed it’s not another painful lesson.

It’s approx. 10ml calcium per 20kg isn’t it? So 40ml for an 80kg ewe via 10ml at 4 different muscle locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Sami23 wrote: »
    Anyone know what actually causes Ewes to prolapse ?

I gave up trying to find out about 40 years ago, just tie them up & move on,

we don't cull unless they're are chronic pushers ( probably frowned by seasoned shepherds but i reckon if a ewe is capable of rearing 2 lambs for another year or more,a minute spent putting on rope is well spent)

Homemade harness and the prolapse itself are still in place this evening so that seems to have worked - thanks everyone for the advice and instructions.

Next issue now is preventing twin-lamb disease. She hadn’t been eating properly for the last 2 days while we were trying to get the prolapse sorted. Have been giving her Chanatol and calcium into the muscle, plus ivy to eat so fingers crossed it’s not another painful lesson.

It’s approx. 10ml calcium per 20kg isn’t it? So 40ml for an 80kg ewe via 10ml at 4 different muscle locations?

That's about what we give too, can she walk, we'd often try to get her on grass, she was obviously sickened with the meal. I've often forgot to shut the gate after taking out a lambed ewe then meet the rest of them all over the place when you come back

• Advertisement

That's about what we give too, can she walk, we'd often try to get her on grass, she was obviously sickened with the meal. I've often forgot to shut the gate after taking out a lambed ewe then meet the rest of them all over the place when you come back

I’ll be checking them in a while again so will see how she is at that stage. She was standing earlier anyway so I’m hopeful she’ll be able to walk out of the shed.

I’ll be checking them in a while again so will see how she is at that stage. She was standing earlier anyway so I’m hopeful she’ll be able to walk out of the shed.

Is she eating ivy, that's a cold night she might be better where she is

Is she eating ivy, that's a cold night she might be better where she is

She wasn’t after picking much of the ivy so not looking good for her. I left her out though and she’s lively enough walking and trotting over to a bunch of lambs from last year that are in a field close to the shed.

The morning will reveal all I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Ewe lambed yesterday morning with a single and a good bag of milk with her, would it be pure daft to try get her to take a second lamb?

She wasn’t after picking much of the ivy so not looking good for her. I left her out though and she’s lively enough walking and trotting over to a bunch of lambs from last year that are in a field close to the shed.

The morning will reveal all I suppose

sounds hopeful, even that much exercise should help

• Advertisement

390kid wrote: »
    Ewe lambed yesterday morning with a single and a good bag of milk with her, would it be pure daft to try get her to take a second lamb?

It has to be worth a try anyway, have you a fostering crate.

Some posters on here use a bucket on their head to fool them
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=344523&d=1428524586

Have to admit it looks too easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

If she has twin lamb disease its glucose she needs to be getting. Lectade or electrolytes for scour should be given to her pretty quickly.

If she has twin lamb disease its glucose she needs to be getting. Lectade or electrolytes for scour should be given to her pretty quickly.

is chanatol not electrolytes

''Chanatol Oral Dose - Is an oral dose aimed at treating Acetonaemia (Ketosis) in cattle and Pregnancy Toxemia in ewes. Both diseases are a result of a lack of energy due to an increase of demand on the animal. Chanatol Oral Dose is a glucose precurser providing the animal with a source of replacement carbohydrate. ''

is chanatol not electrolytes

''Chanatol Oral Dose - Is an oral dose aimed at treating Acetonaemia (Ketosis) in cattle and Pregnancy Toxemia in ewes. Both diseases are a result of a lack of energy due to an increase of demand on the animal. Chanatol Oral Dose is a glucose precurser providing the animal with a source of replacement carbohydrate. ''

Cheers, never heard of it before. I'm still old school so.

I was thinking he was getting twin lamb and milk fever treatments mixed up.

Cheers, never heard of it before. I'm still old school so.

I was thinking he was getting twin lamb and milk fever treatments mixed up.

Never heard of it ether, it's down to what a glucose precursor is as to whether it's adequate or not.
    A mixture of Glycerine and lectade is what i use and give them 50ml anytime I pass them, but sure you wouldn't save the half of them, the ones I'd have wouldn't run off down the field so Siamsas ewe mightn't be too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

It has to be worth a try anyway, have you a fostering crate.

Some posters on here use a bucket on their head to fool them
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=344523&d=1428524586

Have to admit it looks too easy

I tried the bucket last year after hearing a few on about it didn’t work for me but worked for the uncle so there ya. No I haven’t a crate but I might just bite the bullet tomorrow and buy one for this job

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

I don’t know if it matters that much as it’s probably still absorbed to some extent but Calcium should be given under the skin, it could be quite painful given into muscle and likely to cause muscle damage in the injected area.

Ewe is picking at grass this morning but didn't eat the meal. Will keep an eye on her and see what she does during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Just doing up a list here at the minute of the lambing essentials I require...... stomach tube, castration rings, marking spray, iodine, colostrum, bottles for orphans, syringes and needles, along with pencilion and oxytocin from vets, anything else that would be required?

Ewe is picking at grass this morning but didn't eat the meal. Will keep an eye on her and see what she does during the day

Keep the chanatol into her until you're sure she's eating enough,
    If she hasn't twin lamb disease it'll prevent it anyway
    She's like yourself now after a feed of drink, the last thing she wants now is more of what sickened her :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

DJ98 wrote: »
    Just doing up a list here at the minute of the lambing essentials I require...... stomach tube, castration rings, marking spray, iodine, colostrum, bottles for orphans, syringes and needles, along with pencilion and oxytocin from vets, anything else that would be required?

Teats, gloves, redbull, lime for the pens

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Neacafe

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Sami23 wrote: »
    Anyone know what actually causes Ewes to prolapse ?

they reckon if a ewes tail was docked too short as a lamb, it will prolapse alot easier aswell. Something to do with the nerves.

Very pleasant surprise this evening in the attached. That prolapse ewe had a lamb drinking her. Second lamb was dead but tis a great outcome considering all the messing since Saturday morning.

Bloody sheep - they’d break your heart and make you smile all at the same time!

Very pleasant surprise this evening in the attached. That prolapse ewe had a lamb drinking her. Second lamb was dead but tis a great outcome considering all the messing since Saturday morning.

That's a good result:)

Two out of three saved, Good result, Has she milk

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

orm0nd wrote: »
    I gave up trying to find out about 40 years ago, just tie them up & move on,

we don't cull unless they're are chronic pushers ( probably frowned by seasoned shepherds but i reckon if a ewe is capable of rearing 2 lambs for another year or more, a minute spent putting on rope is well spent)

:(seasoned shepherd.:(:(:(:(
    I don't know what causes prolapse but I do know good husbandry helps reduce it and I am 100% sure that hard culling is part of that.

so called top breeders selling the offspring of prolapsed ewes for breeding and rebreeding the ewe is selfish, irresponsible, cruel and I don't care how much the ewe is supposed to be worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

How much water would a ewe drink in a day, one of the drinkers stopped working in a pen in the shed, was working this morning but not this evening, anyway when I got it going again there was a rush for water, which got me thinking about how much water sheep actually drink in a day

Two out of three saved, Good result, Has she milk

She has - the live lamb is full. Tis freezing here again so put her in the shed with hay, ivy, Chanatol, and another few jabs of calcium (under the skin this time). Took off the harness and spoon too so hopefully that'll make her a little more comfortable as well.

Thanks again for all the advice - you probably saved the ewe's life

• Advertisement

She has - the live lamb is full. Tis freezing here again so put her in the shed with hay, ivy, Chanatol, and another few jabs of calcium (under the skin this time). Took off the harness and spoon too so hopefully that'll make her a little more comfortable as well.

Thanks again for all the advice - you probably saved the ewe's life

Very few problems in sheep that I haven't come across, they don't all work out either, sheep will educate you but it's all relatively simple stuff.
    Did she lamb through the harness and spoon, the last one here that lambed through the harness, the lambs back leg got caught in the harness so she was spinning around trying to lick the lamb like a dog chasing his tail when I came on her.... lamb survived

Advertisement