Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

roosky wrote: »
    I have sheep on rented land for the last few winters , I have this land on a yearly rental basis.....take silage in the summer off it and graze sheep on it in the winter...I have a neighbor that set hedging along the boundary of their house now i have it sheep wired and it’s stock proof but the pricks put their heads through the wire and ate the hedging......again this year !! The neighbor is fit to be tied, what are my options I was thinking chicken wire bit it will cost me €200 to do that so that’s not an attractive option !

Chicken wire is probably the cheapest if you haven't electric fence near..
    I used to use electric fence with outriggers or even insulators on 2inch timber and screwed to every second or third post......anything to keep it out from the sheep wire, Rabbits destroy young whitethorns so you mightn't solve all his problems by stopping the sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

For me...their hedge their problem, if they want to put up chicken wire or the green scaffolding wind break stuff let them at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

ganmo wrote: »
    For me...their hedge their problem, if they want to put up chicken wire or the green scaffolding wind break stuff let them at it.

Don't think the law works that way

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

What kind of shed would you be using spaced sheeting on?

In a lean-to with a low roof and high numbers, there should be enough airflow to reduce the rain coming in the spaces but I wouldn't be keen on it in a shed with a large airspace and low numbers. I don't think there would be enough upwards pressure to minimise rain coming in.

It would be OK with sheep slats, I imagine, but not so much with straw bedding?

im straw bedded and a high roof not a bother. it is a bit weird if there is heavy rain and not many in the shed but they dry out quick enough.for a low roof a very good option ..have housed wet sheep and they dried out in a couple of days with no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

ganmo wrote: »

That’s kinda my opinion well I am thinking its their boundary no matter who is renting the land so I would feel they would fence it to protect their hedging, it’s just a balls paying money to fence a boundary you don’t own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

I'd get something done about the sheep eating te hedges anyways for your own good seen a cousin a mines keeps few sheep lambs them in his shed and out till back garden till grass then had 2 ewes eat a piece a hedge and near die after lambing canna mind name a hedge but it's a common hedge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Not really sheep related, but just wondering what do people feed there working dogs?

DJ98 wrote: »
    Not really sheep related, but just wondering what do people feed there working dogs?

Pedro Gold, also pedro muesli
    we give them .5ltr each once a day and it seems to keep them right

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

How have lads mid season ewes scanned this year so ? Scanned my own today and a good scan at 2.1 compare to last year which was 1.6 ! Just trying to figure out why such a jump in scanning rate ?

Young95 wrote: »
    How have lads mid season ewes scanned this year so ? Scanned my own today and a good scan at 2.1 compare to last year which was 1.6 ! Just trying to figure out why such a jump in scanning rate ?

We had a good scan as well, hard to understand as they spent the mating month standing under the ditch out of the rain.
    But they were in good condition beforehand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

If I was to let hoggets mix with ram, would I be having June lambs or is the season over?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

If I was to let hoggets mix with ram, would I be having June lambs or is the season over?

A few of them might come in lamb. I had 2 ewes lamb in first week of July here last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I had ewes in 18 and 19 lamb in early November! Completely out of season. Rams won’t run with them at all this year bar mating time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

National Sheep conference notes can be found in the tweet below.
    https://twitter.com/teagasc/status/1222256824000438272?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭therunaround

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    im straw bedded and a high roof not a bother. it is a bit weird if there is heavy rain and not many in the shed but they dry out quick enough.for a low roof a very good option ..have housed wet sheep and they dried out in a couple of days with no problems

Thanks for replies lads, ya mixed opinions from others I spoke to.. Shed will be fairly high alright and mightnt always be full.. The pens are narrow and over 20 foot deep so an open apex would be over the pens and straw would get wet in heavy rain according to shed man. Which is why he suggested enquiring about spaced sheeting for sheep with a few lads who might have it.

Thanks for yere replies, food for thought..
    Scanned at 1.92 here tonight, scanner said he was picking up good scanning numbers for lads who let Rams out in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Horrible weather here this past few weeks trying till get a few dry days till get the sheep inside. Should be feeding them ration but there in 2 big off flocks till start feeding outside. Still eating all the silage then can eat didn't test it but very good quality stuff and went against my own rules and give them mineral buckets simply because I dont wanna feed ration outside.

If anyone wants a reference to help design a sheep yard.
    https://twitter.com/EOEGAN/status/1223187146405793793?s=19

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Probably splitting hairs here but was wondering if the time of day matters when you feed sheep.

We’ve ewes and their lambs outside and 30-odd replacement ewe lambs in the shed finishing off hay (and saving grass).

Both groups are getting meal once a day.

The options are to feed them at 7.30am or 5.30pm, so I can work around the off-farm job a few days a week. But I’d like to keep the routine the same for on-farm days too.

Does it make any difference?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭sandman30

Probably splitting hairs here but was wondering if the time of day matters when you feed sheep.

We’ve ewes and their lambs outside and 30-odd replacement ewe lambs in the shed finishing off hay (and saving grass).

Both groups are getting meal once a day.

The options are to feed them at 7.30am or 5.30pm, so I can work around the off-farm job a few days a week. But I’d like to keep the routine the same for on-farm days too.

Does it make any difference?

Heard a theory that it is better to feed them early, because they tend not to eat that much at night, and start eating at dawn. So if you feed them after they have had their fill of grass/hay then give them meal they will eat the meal too, which may overfill them and make more prone to prolapse, so better to feed early before they have their fill of forage.

Don't know how true this is, lots of theories about prolapse, don't know how true any of them are.

I'd always feed last thing in the evening and feed silage in the afternoon. I haven't had a prolapse in many years, thankfully.

The theory in cows is feeding around 6 in the evening will disturb the calving process in the early stages and there will be few cows calving in the middle of the night. The ones already in the late stages of calving will continue and should be calved by midnight.

I wouldn't have many lambed overnight but maybe I'm lucky.

• Advertisement

Was anyone at the sheep conference in Kilkenny on thurday.
    I thought John O'Connells figures were very good, way ahead of anything he'd get from suckling

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/from-milking-cows-to-chasing-sheep-switching-it-up-to-suit-the-land-type/

wrangler wrote: »
    Was anyone at the sheep conference in Kilkenny on thurday.
    I thought John O'Connells figures were very good, way ahead of anything he'd get from suckling

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/from-milking-cows-to-chasing-sheep-switching-it-up-to-suit-the-land-type/

I saw some coverage on Twitter during the week alright. Would I be right saying he went from producing 9 lambs/Ha to 20 lambs/Ha?

I saw some coverage on Twitter during the week alright. Would I be right saying he went from producing 9 lambs/Ha to 20 lambs/Ha?

Yea, it's hard to pin his stocking rate, but he has 40 dairy calves and 40 dairy yearlings plus 220 ewes on 34ha.
    40 yearlings are there for a full year and the calves come in April so it's about 40 livestock units and the ewes would be about another 40 lu, so 80 lu on 34ha

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

The article wont load for me but id believe it as hes an exceptional farmer. He also rears a lot of heifers for teagasc in athenry.

The article wont load for me but id believe it as hes an exceptional farmer. He also rears a lot of heifers for teagasc in athenry.

try this

https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2020/Sheep-Conferences-2020-Web-Version.pdf

Hi all, has anyone here had a shee welfare scheme inspection I have one this week and I just want to know what level I need to go to as in is it just for 2019 or for 2017,2018 and 2019

And do they look at registrar and remedies like the Bord Bia inspections

roosky wrote: »
    Hi all, has anyone here had a shee welfare scheme inspection I have one this week and I just want to know what level I need to go to as in is it just for 2019 or for 2017,2018 and 2019

And do they look at registrar and remedies like the Bord Bia inspections

Had one here 2 weeks ago. We're doing the lameness and scanning actions. The inspector just wanted to see the SWS booklet with the details filled in on the required pages. No mention of remedies info or anything like that.

He just took pictures of 2019 but I had 2018 and 2017 ready as well. If you have one year written up, it only takes 10 minutes to follow the same format for the other years and have them done.

Had one here 2 weeks ago. We're doing the lameness and scanning actions. The inspector just wanted to see the SWS booklet with the details filled in on the required pages. No mention of remedies info or anything like that.

He just took pictures of 2019 but I had 2018 and 2017 ready as well. If you have one year written up, it only takes 10 minutes to follow the same format for the other years and have them done.

Did he need the receipt for scanning I can’t find the actual receipt although I have the docket with the breakdown of singles twin trips etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Had inspection few weeks ago for scanning & minerals post tipping. Scanned 30 ewes ear tags and took pictures of 2019 booklet. Pretty simple but

Have been over and back since

Scanning docket said delivery docket so that had to be changed to invoice. Herd number had to be on it as well and stamped paid

• Advertisement

razor8 wrote: »
    Had inspection few weeks ago for scanning & minerals post tipping. Scanned 30 ewes ear tags and took pictures of 2019 booklet. Pretty simple but

Have been over and back since

Scanning docket said delivery docket so that had to be changed to invoice. Herd number had to be on it as well and stamped paid

Thanks so it’s just 2019 book he will want ....I made a mistake in that my 2017 scanning happened in January 2018 and I scanned again in feb 2019 so I technically never scanned the ewes in the 2018 scheme period of 01/02/18 to 31/01/19

Advertisement