Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

arctictree wrote: »
    She's not eating so I'm worried she'll just go downhill. Vet was out yesterday, checked her over and advised to continue what I was doing. I think she's a good few days from lambing as we are not due to start until Saturday and she's showing no signs of it. Might have to get a C section done if she gets much worse. Maybe the lambs are dead in her and its making her sick. Prolapse was really bad the other day. I had real difficulty getting it back in...

A neighbor told me down through the years he took lambs from a sick/dying sheep a few days before they were due but the lambs inevitably ended up dying most times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

For ewes carrying twins?

yea, with good silage/forage

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

She's not eating so I'm worried she'll just go downhill. Vet was out yesterday, checked her over and advised to continue what I was doing. I think she's a good few days from lambing as we are not due to start until Saturday and she's showing no signs of it. Might have to get a C section done if she gets much worse. Maybe the lambs are dead in her and its making her sick. Prolapse was really bad the other day. I had real difficulty getting it back in...

You could induce her with 8ml of colvasone, she should start to lamb after 36 hours, it will only work if she’s 137days plus. You might want to handle her after 24/30 hours as she’s sick she might not be able to push the lambs up and you might need to take them but wait until she’s open

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Anyone know if a 12 month 5 in 1 bolus can be got?. Someone told me recently that they do ewes once a year with a 12 month 5 in 1 bolus by mayo healthcare. I use the 6 month bolus twice a year, and have never heard of a 12 month bolus. Had a quick search online and only found 12 month boluses than are 3 in 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Anybody selling good sheepdog pups? My wee pup got hit by car this morning was coming along brilliantly aswell. Need a pup as want it used till the kids. 1 off them days makes u question what it's all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Anyone know if a 12 month 5 in 1 bolus can be got?. Someone told me recently that they do ewes once a year with a 12 month 5 in 1 bolus by mayo healthcare. I use the 6 month bolus twice a year, and have never heard of a 12 month bolus. Had a quick search online and only found 12 month boluses than are 3 in 1.

i did bloods on a random 10 ewes after 3 months after giving the 6 month bolus and the trace element levels had returned to the level pre bolus..biggest waste of 1.30 per ewe i ever spent

i did bloods on a random 10 ewes after 3 months after giving the 6 month bolus and the trace element levels had returned to the level pre bolus..biggest waste of 1.30 per ewe i ever spent

How do you supplement ewes for trace elements?... we always gave licks here until last year, but we were lacking in copper. Haven't got bloods tested since we started bolusing though, could be interesting to get it done.

How do you supplement ewes for trace elements?... we always gave licks here until last year, but we were lacking in copper. Haven't got bloods tested since we started bolusing though, could be interesting to get it done.

We test the liver ,supposed to be more accurate , vets in the factory takes the samples

Was it animax you were using

i dont worry about trace elements in the ewes much...body condition is more what i look at..cobalt the lambs here every 2-3 week post weaning and a SMALL shot of copper sulfate mix with water to the none texel sheep to prevent dirty back ends..

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    We test the liver ,supposed to be more accurate , vets in the factory takes the samples

You sure they do this anymore?...we used to get them to check for fluke in lambs, but I asked them last year and they more or less told me they have better things to be at than looking for fluke.

You sure they do this anymore?...we used to get them to check for fluke in lambs, but I asked them last year and they more or less told me they have better things to be at than looking for fluke.

Camoin vets are reporting, even supposed to have a place on the docket, I haven't seen it yet myself..... maybe some one else has

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

yea, with good silage/forage

We're feeding. 6kg to couples, really good silage albeit, ewes in good condition and milking welland good lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭kk.man

Camoin vets are reporting, even supposed to have a place on the docket, I haven't seen it yet myself..... maybe some one else has
    Just got docket and cheque today from ICM and not on mine either.

We're feeding. 6kg to couples, really good silage albeit, ewes in good condition and milking welland good lambs

doctors differ and patients die .........would you recommend .6kg to everyone not knowing conditions . extra half pound is good insurance. nothing worse than small lambs short of milk

Was it animax you were using

no the mayo ones..has put me off all bolus's after that..had a neibour ran short by 20 bolus's so he marked the 20 ewes to compare to the rest of the bolused ewes at scanning and lambing and noticed no difference..they were either animax or agrimin iirc..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

doctors differ and patients die .........would you recommend .6kg to everyone not knowing conditions . extra half pound is good insurance. nothing worse than small lambs short of milk

Very true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The Hill sheep conference notes can be found in the tweet below.
    https://twitter.com/teagasc/status/1230477318000431104?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Has anyone ever heard of a ewe lambing twice a few days apart.....::I’m dealing with a farmer who claims a ewe Lambed on the 17th cleaned and then lambed again on the 20th......he is adamant it’s not a mistake on his part for various reasons, next option is to genotype all the lambs but just wondering did Any of ye ever hear of this happening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

roosky wrote: »
    Has anyone ever heard of a ewe lambing twice a few days apart.....::I’m dealing with a farmer who claims a ewe Lambed on the 17th cleaned and then lambed again on the 20th......he is adamant it’s not a mistake on his part for various reasons, next option is to genotype all the lambs but just wondering did Any of ye ever hear of this happening

Happened years ago here. Ewe Lambed a healthy lamb then another a few days later. A lot of head scratching but there was no mix up

Seen a post on Facebook yesterday on it too where a ewe ended up with 5

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/ewe-miracles-lambs-born-three-2636726.amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Has anyone killed a ewe for the freezer?
    Would there be a strong taste of the meat compared to lamb?
    Would the cuts be more mince and stew meat instead of chops?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Very bad start to lambing here. One live lamb from 7 lambs.

One ewe that had a prolapse had a dead lamb on the floor. Pulled two more dead ones out of her. Shes very sick now.

Another pro lapsed ewe, scanned for triplets. Only bag out. Pulled 3 dead and one live one out of her. On the plus side, ewe and lamb are doing well.

Can only go up from here I suppose...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

One ewe that had a prolapse had a dead lamb on the floor. Pulled two more dead ones out of her. Shes very sick now.

Another pro lapsed ewe, scanned for triplets. Only bag out. Pulled 3 dead and one live one out of her. On the plus side, ewe and lamb are doing well.

It’ll average out as ever but you’d be downhearted all the same. Offer it up for your sins and concentrate on the good ones that’ll have 2 lambs up and drinking while you’re not looking

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

Has anyone killed a ewe for the freezer?
    Would there be a strong taste of the meat compared to lamb?
    Would the cuts be more mince and stew meat instead of chops?

depends on how old, young sheep not overfat is good eating lots of cassaroles, curries, tajines and slow cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

that is very hard to deal with ,been there ,
    It is why I have no sympathy for 'top' breeders excuses as to why they don't cull ruthlessly ."ah she just had a small bit showing last year"
    cull the ewe and cull her spawn (if they are alive)
    (a simple notch in the ear never falls out) and when I say cull I mean up by their heels not brought to the mart for smart arses to chance a chaep shaep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    It is why I have no sympathy for 'top' breeders excuses as to why they don't cull ruthlessly ."ah she just had a small bit showing last year"
    (a simple notch in the ear never falls out) and when I say cull I mean up by their heels not brought to the mart for smart arses to chance a chaep shaep.
    That’s dirty play alright. But regarding bad luck, I had a ewe scanned for two and lost one due to my daily fault, didn’t see her in time. Another one today marked for two had 3 whopping big lambs. I was thinking maybe god felt sorry for me!!

Lano Lynn wrote: »

I'd never be worried about prolapses, I'd call it 5% hereditary, more likely to be
    because of triplets/ big doubles/overfat. I'd never be culling her daughters because of it anyway ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'd never be worried about prolapses, I'd call it 5% hereditary, more likely to be
    because of triplets/ big doubles/overfat. I'd never be culling her daughters because of it anyway ,

Well, I split my flock into a group with triplets and quads. Fed them more. Circa 15% of them prolapsed. None of the singles/twins did who were on less feed. One ewe was so big with quads that she couldnt walk. 3 died and the fourth barely survived. She was back up walking when all that weight was off her. Doing well now with the single lamb. Makes you think....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A nice, simple way to reduce silage waste when the ewes are indoors, a 2x2 mesh placed over the silage which allows the ewes eat the silage without dragging it into the pens. It can be folded up for feeding meal and left back down again when the meal is finished.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/how-to-manage-your-ewes-and-lambs-during-difficult-weather-conditions/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

An elderly neighbour approached me to help him sort out his hoggetts,to dose them and replace missing tags.....he buys around 50 ewe lambs in small lots in mart each Sept for last few years and sells them as year olds the following September.

He said some of them ‘are missing tags’....as in have lost tags since he bought them last September.Just want to check can I put some of his new electronic tags into them if they are missing both tags or do we need to read them all to figure out who is missing tags iykwim?.....and then go and order them.

Also are the tags that were put in them for selling in mart by original owner ok to leave in them for their lifetime now?....I glanced at them and most have the small loop tag in one ear and electronic tag in other ear.

Thanks for any replies.

Advertisement