Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

I know that dipping will cure them, but these are store lambs I bought in November and they are fit to kill now.
    If they had it when you bought them you should have noticed it long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭kk.man

MIKEKC wrote: »

Not necessarily he could have picked it up from neighbours sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Yarrumkram09

MIKEKC wrote: »

Neighbours ram broke in about a month ago, and last week I noticed he was loosing wool so I dropped him back to the neighbour. It was only yesterday when going through the lambs I seen that 5 or 6 of them had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

Any of ye with Triplets let the 3 lambs run with their mother or would ye always foster (if possible), bottle feed 1 or sell 1 on DoneDeal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Sami23 wrote: »
    Any of ye with Triplets let the 3 lambs run with their mother or would ye always foster (if possible), bottle feed 1 or sell 1 on DoneDeal ?

Let 2 ewes run with the 3 last year they reared them but yad pick them out today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

God help anyone with ewes lambing out these few days or having to put out recently born lambs cos sheds are full.
    Only 2 degrees on car there now and heavy hail showers that would freeze a young lamb.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Left a great ewe rear 3 last year and she’s culled now. She put everything into the lambs and never recovered. Got maggots first, then mastitis, and finally scanned empty.

If you had enough ewes with triplets to treat as a separate bunch, and fed them extra while they were rearing the lambs, then you might manage it.

I’d try foster first and then put on the bucket with other pets if that didn’t work

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

kk.man wrote: »
    Not necessarily he could have picked it up from neighbours sheep.
    Must have picked it up that way. If they had it since he bought them he would have seen it.

See on DoneDeal a lad looking for 22 ewes stolen in Longford. Hard enough with out that sh1te happening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Sell the smallest one as a pet. You'll have 2 good lambs instead of 3 mediocre lambs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'd take the biggest and bottle that one. There's rarely a good result from a ewe rearing 3 unless you're able to run a mini flock with the triplets with ration for the ewes and creep for the lambs.

Better 2 good lambs and 1 poor than 3 poor lambs, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

God help anyone with ewes lambing out these few days or having to put out recently born lambs cos sheds are full.
    Only 2 degrees on car there now and heavy hail showers that would freeze a young lamb.

And not let up this side of Paddy's day - I know early lamb prices are stronger this year but folk will be taking a hit on housing and extra compound feeding etc.:(

I don't know what you are talking about Re flock register and animal register being one book.

If he only has a few tags missing he should bring in the sheep and go through each one. Then keep the ones with no tag aside and go through the purchase dockets and put new eid tags on those. There is a column for old tags and replacement tags in the register.

Thanks for reply,I glanced at his Flock Register and didn’t see anything in back of it.

Where are you meant to note doses or injections given to sheep?
    Or is that only necessary if people are in likes of Bord Bia quality Assurance.
    I know with Cattle that there’s area in back of Register for listing medicines given to animals.

Cheers for any replies....hope to go through the neighbours hoggetts if get a dry evening later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭kk.man

Thanks for reply,I glanced at his Flock Register and didn’t see anything in back of it.

Where are you meant to note doses or injections given to sheep?
    Or is that only necessary if people are in likes of Bord Bia quality Assurance.
    I know with Cattle that there’s area in back of Register for listing medicines given to animals.

Cheers for any replies....hope to go through the neighbours hoggetts if get a dry evening later in the week.

No problem.

Yes medicines etc to be noted in Bord bia book. I am Bord bia assured so I am not aware of any requirement for non assured persons Re sheep.

No problem.

Yes medicines etc to be noted in Bord bia book. I am Bord bia assured so I am not aware of any requirement for non assured persons Re sheep.

Thanks for reply.....wouldn’t be huge man at paperwork either and the neighbour definitely isn’t from what I can see!

General question to all looking in if not in Bord Bia certified scheme is it necessary to keep paper track of injections/doses to match up to medicines bought from vets or agri Stores?....and if so where do you record them?

Thanks for any feedback.

Does anyone on here get mobile plunge dipping done and do they find it good value compared to the showers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Thanks for reply.....wouldn’t be huge man at paperwork either and the neighbour definitely isn’t from what I can see!

General question to all looking in if not in Bord Bia certified scheme is it necessary to keep paper track of injections/doses to match up to medicines bought from vets or agri Stores?....and if so where do you record them?

Thanks for any feedback.

Ya you have to keep a track of the animals that got treatments and their withdrawal times. thats why so many ppl do BB, cause you're meant to be doing most of it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

390kid wrote: »
    Does anyone on here get mobile plunge dipping done and do they find it good value compared to the showers?

It's not about the value really, showering is just not as effective as dipping.
    You're just not comparing like with like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Lambing due to begin here march 1st, what are the chances some will drop beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

DJ98 wrote: »
    Lambing due to begin here march 1st, what are the chances some will drop beforehand?

I'd put money on Saturday

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    Ya you have to keep a track of the animals that got treatments and their withdrawal times. thats why so many ppl do BB, cause you're meant to be doing most of it anyway

Thanks.....sending you a pm Ganmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Lambing has started here weather still brutal. Hadnt 1 ewe prolapse yet outta 140+ ewes. Got silage outside and housed 1 week before due till lamb only fed nuts 4 weeks out from lambing any ewes that are lambed seem till have plenty a milk makes u think over feeding thinking your doing the right thing might be bringing on more problems than saving them.

Lambman wrote: »
    Lambing has started here weather still brutal. Hadnt 1 ewe prolapse yet outta 140+ ewes. Got silage outside and housed 1 week before due till lamb only fed nuts 4 weeks out from lambing any ewes that are lambed seem till have plenty a milk makes u think over feeding thinking your doing the right thing might be bringing on more problems than saving them.

Where's the problem, I have one prolapse in 86 ewes, I have 4 rams on 1 acre and they're in ****, so you can imagine the mess 86 would make on 10 acres.
    Triplet ewes here are on up to 3.3 pounds with no problems. ewe lambs with 2s and 3s are getting 3lbs, again no problems.
    We're doing that for over 20 years.
    If you feed a pound extra to a ewe for month it costs €4/ewe, go figure.
    Bigger lambs,more colostrum and better condition on the ewe

I'm just saying I would usually fed the ewes earlier and would usually have 3 or so prolapse. A big thing could be that I sold all triplet ewes in lamb after scanning. Lands a mess here grass is growing but even walking the land ur leaving a mess behind you. No urea out and wont be with shape lands in. Might have till get the aul fella fired up on the fiddle 😂

On the mobile plunge dipper I used it this year on out farm for some ewes and it's a mighty job very professional ewes all counted dip all measured and topped up after so many ewes. The only down fall is I'd till cart 3 IBC tanks till him. They empty tank every time they move they kinda have till the way its setup. Wasnt that expensive either going by amount a dip he was putting in and it had till be drawn by tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

wrangler wrote: »
    Where's the problem, I have one prolapse in 86 ewes, I have 4 rams on 1 acre and they're in ****, so you can imagine the mess 86 would make on 10 acres.
    Triplet ewes here are on up to 3.3 pounds with no problems. ewe lambs with 2s and 3s are getting 3lbs, again no problems.
    We're doing that for over 20 years.
    If you feed a pound extra to a ewe for month it costs €4/ewe, go figure.
    Bigger lambs,more colostrum and better condition on the ewe

You feed straw as forage isn’t it wrangler? I think I’d agree with you though. As I posted here earlier, I was short of milk at the start of lambing, got my figures mixed up. Started feeding later than normal and not as much. I upped the feed when I noticed a problem and thankfully it helped a lot. The lambs born first were very small, and will lag behind for a long time I reckon. With this weather, big strong lambs would make like that bit easier, along with plenty of milk from the ewe. I didn’t have a ewe prolapse for years, feeding couples 2lbs, but had one this year. Not bad, just stuck on a harness and she seems fine again. I’m rambling, but my conclusion would be that going forward, I’ll start feeding a small bit earlier, and build up to correct amount. I’d definitely side with a bit extra feed rather than less.
    Wrangler-if feeding good silage, thst was tested at 14 % protein, would you alter your concentrate feeding then?

You feed straw as forage isn’t it wrangler? I think I’d agree with you though. As I posted here earlier, I was short of milk at the start of lambing, got my figures mixed up. Started feeding later than normal and not as much. I upped the feed when I noticed a problem and thankfully it helped a lot. The lambs born first were very small, and will lag behind for a long time I reckon. With this weather, big strong lambs would make like that bit easier, along with plenty of milk from the ewe. I didn’t have a ewe prolapse for years, feeding couples 2lbs, but had one this year. Not bad, just stuck on a harness and she seems fine again. I’m rambling, but my conclusion would be that going forward, I’ll start feeding a small bit earlier, and build up to correct amount. I’d definitely side with a bit extra feed rather than less.
    Wrangler-if feeding good silage, thst was tested at 14 % protein, would you alter your concentrate feeding then?

Yea, we count the first pound of meal as replacing the silage, silage plus 2 lbs of meal would be a good feed for them ..........
    I don't know what you'd need to be feeding them after lambing this year to keep them milking, ewes will milk off their backs in bad conditions if they're in good condition themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have a horned ewe here, one of her horns is growing very close to her eye, what would the safest way to remove it be? Would a vet be required to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea, we count the first pound of meal as replacing the silage, silage plus 2 lbs of meal would be a good feed for them ..........
    I don't know what you'd need to be feeding them after lambing this year to keep them milking, ewes will milk off their backs in bad conditions if they're in good condition themselves

Did you do the sums on the straw vs silage? They’re would be a lot of positives feeding straw I’d imagine. You are based in Leinster I believe? Plenty of good straw around, different in the West

• Advertisement

Did you do the sums on the straw vs silage? They’re would be a lot of positives feeding straw I’d imagine. You are based in Leinster I believe? Plenty of good straw around, different in the West

Feeding straw is a lifestyle choice here, much cleaner and easier.
    The pound of meal replaces the silage so for 120 days it costs €16, plus about about €7 for straw which they'd have to be bedded anyway feeding silage.
    So it's costing about €20/ewe to replace the silage

Advertisement