Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

My next door neighbour has a blue texal ram. He reckons they're not hard lambed and grow like stink. He has nearly all his march born lambs sold( blue texals and dorsets) off grass. But he said a good few of the ewes has one white and one completely black lamb with made it hard to mother them up when they're young as you can't spray mark the black lambs!
    That's some going running texels and charrlois (hogget ewes) rams here end off March lambing flock trying till finish off grass and most are only ready for weaning now never mind factory ready. Anybody recommend any good blue texel breeders?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Lambman wrote: »
    Anybody any experience with blue texels? Heard there easier lambed and slightly more prolific?

I looked into them a few years back and was very surprised to learn that they are genetically the same as a normal texel its just a color thing so there were always blue texels but they didn't meet breed standards.

Its the same concept as white shorthorn cattle, if you put a herd of white shorthorns together and kept breeding them you would still have shorthorns!

Yea I knew that... they still throw predominantly white lambs... the colour is a genetic thing that's all but people wreckon they also have a slightly differ in other genetics which makes them easier lambed and slightly more prolific?

Lambman wrote: »
    Yea I knew that... they still throw predominantly white lambs... the colour is a genetic thing that's all but people wreckon they also have a slightly differ in other genetics which makes them easier lambed and slightly more prolific?

to me they look closer to the dutch texel, where as we here in Ireland are used to the British texel type ewe.

They could indeed have a better performance but just no a breed of their own

Went till a purebred farmer yesterday trying till source my next ram lamb... seen a few nice ones all top bloodlines mostly English.... thing is he's looking €250 now for the ram lambs only born in March and just started being creeped last week wile still on the ewes... fine sheep but surely 2 expensive as there will be a lot off feeding needed till get them till a size for working in October... buying now and them not off the ewes they'll likely be stunted for a few weeks aswell... dono what till do I'd kick myself round the Mart if I seen one a them being sold in September for 4 or 5 hundred!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

if from top bloodline he's totally undervaluing his stock, if i was selling the pick of lambs now id want €500 minimum. if he's after investing in top genetics he's well entitled to it.

a grass fed ram lamb should easily be 55kg plus come October without any meal if on decent grass

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Agreed I'd go back and get a few of them at that price. You're getting the first pick and can see what they're like straight off the ewes before they get pumped to the gills for the sales in Aug-Sep where they will make €400-500.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Is it not very late for pedigree lambs to be still on the ewe?
    Spend the 250 on him and 50 on meal and you'll still be getting a good ram

This fella lambs mid March 2 and wouldn't sell ram lambs usually holds the on till hoggets... his stock ram outta llyfni usain bolt cost him over 2k... the lambs wouldn't be that heavy yet but I won't need them till 22nd October... what weight would they need till be till service ewes? I know they say a ewe lamb had till be 50kg+ but for a ram? 55-60kg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

A 40kg ram lamb will do plenty of damage if you didn't want him to!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Willfarman wrote: »
    A 40kg ram lamb will do plenty of damage if you didn't want him to!

Agreed I have ewe hoggets with lambs st foot to prove it. 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

no amount of feed will change how a ram will breed but overfeeding may effect IF he breeds and for how long

http://www.pedigreesheep.com/ianmcdougall.pdf

250 seems like good value
    on the other hand the rate at which texels are developing breathing problems etc and dying.. might have to buy two to have one:mad:

Just after reading it there aswell ganmo there pretty sure they caught it before it went into the food chain.... started in Donegal 2... by sounds a it there is no way a testing your lambs only way till tell is post mortem... Will the farmers lose the value off the lambs or I'll it be subsidised?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I don't think there's any need for concern generally. The parasite has a very specific pair of hosts, final and intermediate, similar to tapeworms. The risk to humans is from the tissue cysts it forms in the intermediate host, the sheep, in the muscles. The bodies response to it ends up causing multiple, small abscesses there. The abscesses are found on post mortem examination.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Are any of the wormers effective? Did the factory have to skip the entire chill room?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Sarcocystosis:

T0756E106.jpg

Sarcocystosis is caused by species of Sarcocystis, an intracellular protozoan parasite in the phylum Apicomplexa. These parasites have an indirect life cycle, cycling between a definitive and an intermediate host. Intestinal infections occur in the definitive host, and tissue invasion is seen in the intermediate host. More than a hundred species of Sarcocystis are parasites of domestic and wild animals. Many of these infections are asymptomatic, particularly in the definitive host.

Sarcocystis spp. have an indirect life cycle, and must develop in both an intermediate and a definitive host. In many cases, a Sarcocystis species cycles through a specific predator or scavenger, and its prey. Most species have a single intermediate host; however, S. neuronais less host-specific.

The definitive host becomes infected when it ingests encysted parasites (sarcocysts) in muscle tissues. Sarcocysts are oval, whitish cysts that vary in size from microscopic to visible. They are filled with hundreds to thousands of bradyzoites. The bradyzoites are released in the intestine of the definitive host, where they enter the lamina propria and immediately undergo gametogony to form oocysts. There is no asexual replication in the definitive host. The oocysts mature in the host’s cells, then are shedin the feces. These oocysts already contain two sporocysts, each with four sporozoites. The oocysts may disintegrate, and sporocysts may be found in the feces.

Intermediate hosts become infected when they ingest oocysts or sporocysts. The sporozoites are released in the intestines and cross into the bloodstream. In many cases, they multiply asexually in the walls of small blood vessels before invading the skeletal or cardiac muscles or neural tissues, where they form the sarcocyst wall and multiply as merozoites for several generations. The merozoites eventually develop into bradyzoites within the sarcocysts. Only the bradyzoite stage is infectious.

Amprolium has been used prophylactically to decrease the clinical signs in experimental infections in cattle. Amprolium and salinomycin have been used in experimentally infected sheep.

Therapeutic treatment of cattle and sheep has, to date, been ineffective.

For more read: http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets/pdfs/sarcocystosis.pdf

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

The disease is believed to develop in the host for between one and two weeks after it ingests muscle tissue that contains Sarcocystis cysts, the final host will then begin to shed the infective parasites in its faeces; shedding continues for several months.

I don't think the author of that report really understood what he was reporting. While what is written is true it gives the impression, having being talking about sheep, that sheep are the 'Final host'. In this case sheep were the intermediate host, the final host being something that might eat sheep meat, a dog perhaps. The sheep won't be shedding infection themselves, they only become a problem once dead. The cysts in the meat, under attack from the bodies defences, are basically small abscesses.
    Livestock become infected by sporocysts from the feces of carnivores. Because most adult cattle, sheep, and many pigs harbor cysts in their muscles, dogs and other carnivores should not be allowed to eat raw meat, offal, or dead animals. Supplies of grain and feed should be kept covered; dogs and cats should not be allowed in buildings used to store feed or house animals. Amprolium (100 mg/kg/day for 30 days), fed prophylactically, reduced illness in cattle inoculated with S cruzi. Prophylactic administration of amprolium or salinomycin also protected experimentally infected sheep. Therapeutic treatment of the chronic stage (tissue cysts) has been ineffective. Vaccines are not available. Experimental work demonstrated that infected pork and beef could be made safe for consumption by cooking at 70°C (158°F) for 15 min or by freezing at –4°C (24.8°F) for 2 days or –20°C (-4°F) for 1 day.

http://www.msdvetmanual.com/musculoskeletal-system/sarcocystosis/overview-of-sarcocystosis

Both links I've used seem to be America-orientated. This disease is not by any means common in Ireland. I've never heard of it here before so I wouldn't be panicking about it.

It's an unfortunate situation for all involved as the factory suppliers couldn't have known about the problem and the factory is left with unsaleable meat. So who carries the can....?

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    I don't think the author of that report really understood what he was reporting. While what is written is true it gives the impression, having being talking about sheep, that sheep are the 'Final host'. In this case sheep were the intermediate host, the final host being something that might eat sheep meat, a dog perhaps. The sheep won't be shedding infection themselves, they only become a problem once dead. The cysts in the meat, under attack from the bodies defences, are basically small abscesses.

http://www.msdvetmanual.com/musculoskeletal-system/sarcocystosis/overview-of-sarcocystosis

Both links I've used seem to be America-orientated. This disease is not by any means common in Ireland. I've never heard of it here before so I wouldn't be panicking about it.

It's an unfortunate situation for all involved as the factory suppliers couldn't have known about the problem and the factory is left with unsaleable meat. So who carries the can....?

I wonder would the factory's product liability insurance cover them for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

Quick question When ye use click on ewes do ye apply 35 ml for 50 kilos or do ye increase the dose more to allow for ewes being 70-80 kilos.

My ewes would be 70 kilos roughly.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

cattle man wrote: »
    Quick question When ye use click on ewes do ye apply 35 ml for 50 kilos or do ye increase the dose more to allow for ewes being 70-80 kilos.

Thanks

Do you shear late in the year, that you're putting clik on the ewes now?

Or does everyone put clik on the ewes a few weeks after they're shorn? We never used to here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I would put on around 40ml

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

Do you shear late in the year, that you're putting clik on the ewes now?

Or does everyone put clik on the ewes a few weeks after they're shorn? We never used to here...

Sheared a month now. And had maggots in one today up on her back perfectly clean sheep

sending ewes and lambs to factory tomorrow , do the ewes need to be on a seperate dispatch document to the lambs ???

More so due to the section that asks about the residency from birth as some ewes were bought in,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Lump them all on the one docket,in the residency from birth tick no as some sheep are but not all are.

i always use seperate dockets, easier when filling out flock register too

razor8 wrote: »
    i always use seperate dockets, easier when filling out flock register too

Ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

cattle man wrote: »

Thanks
    We never use more than 35ml, on a full fleece in may......like that our ewes would be 70+, never had a breakdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Bought a ewe a week or 2 ago in the mart,she has a long tail,hate them on ewes,anyway I can remove it as painless as possible before the ram goes out in August?Could I use a rubber band

• Advertisement

Definitely not

Advertisement