Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Would any of ye have an idea what ewes with lambs at foot are making ? From 8 weeks old back to a week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Would any of ye have an idea what ewes with lambs at foot are making ? From 8 weeks old back to a week.

Depends on several factors: what type of ewes are they? How old? Are the lambs starting to show much shape/muscle? Have you then in even bunches or selling in 1s and 2s?

Anything from 200+ back to 140-ish for aged ewes with single lambs?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

wrangler wrote: »
    I'd consider the NZ suffolk a poor sheep, the holstein of sheep breeding

have not seen many nz suffolks I liked until this year a fine ram at Tullamore show and another 50% in kelso but to say Holstein of sheep breeding is just nonsense have you ever seen a East freisland .
    but my point was not that we should import nz sheep but that we adopt more nz breeding principles eg. cull harder and run more commercial stud flock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Time till get lambs out I doubt lost another this morning with ewe lying on it and another ewe lay on her 2 yesterday morning. I'll be taking my chances with them out. Gonna purchase the rain coats soon as merchants open so I'll not be able till blame myself as much if I have losses outside. Hard getting them till 2/3 days old and finding them suffocated. 6x5 pens roughly doubles are in old cow byre so a 6ft hurdle across a 2 cow stand. Pens in middle of shed are 6x5 all hurdles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lambman wrote: »
    Time till get lambs out I doubt lost another this morning with ewe lying on it and another ewe lay on her 2 yesterday morning. I'll be taking my chances with them out. Gonna purchase the rain coats soon as merchants open so I'll not be able till blame myself as much if I have losses outside. Hard getting them till 2/3 days old and finding them suffocated. 6x5 pens roughly doubles are in old cow byre so a 6ft hurdle across a 2 cow stand. Pens in middle of shed are 6x5 all hurdles.

Are you sure they were lay on while the lambs were alive, pens here are 5 by 5 and no problem, no matter how long they're in them if the ewe is healthy

• Advertisement

Pretty sure by way lambs were lying tucked up. Ewes are all healthy anything that is outside is flying it even with this piss poor weather.

Pretty sure by way lambs were lying tucked up. Ewes are all healthy anything that is outside is flying it even with this piss poor weather.

Mine are all texel cross ewes, just shows they don't deserve the bad press .
    A five yr old has just given birth naturally to triplets, all over 5kg.
    It's all down to the management

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

A ewe will generally only lie on the lambs if shes lame or unsteady after a hard lambing or if the lambs are hungry

A ewe will generally only lie on the lambs if shes lame or unsteady after a hard lambing or if the lambs are hungry

That's why I asked about the lambs.
    it's very rare especially in a 6 by 5 pen

Mine are all texel cross ewes, just shows they don't deserve the bad press .
    A five yr old has just given birth naturally to triplets, all over 5kg.
    It's all down to the management

I guess that ewe screws 30+years and thousands of ewes of my experience.
    yes to management right from the pedigree breeders.
    like I said before if texel breeders won't use their own ewes(even crossbreds) there has to be something wrong.

Denial served shorthorns well :D guess it should have the same result for texels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Lost a ewe with a week old lamb today, what's the best way of keeping the lamb alive now without a mother, drank small drop from bottle tonight but not much since morning. No Foster ewe available at the moment

DJ98 wrote: »
    Lost a ewe with a week old lamb today, what's the best way of keeping the lamb alive now without a mother, drank small drop from bottle tonight but not much since morning. No Foster ewe available at the moment

If he was mine I'd take his temperature to ensure he wasn,t sick or cold, then offer him a bottle four times a day, if he didn't take it I''d tube him with 100 ml of milk, if he's healthy he'll get going.
    IF the ewe was neglecting him his stomach has shrunk and it'll take a while to get an appetite.
    It's not advisable to tube a lamb thats under 36 degrees centigrade, warm him up first

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    I guess that ewe screws 30+years and thousands of ewes of my experience.
    yes to management right from the pedigree breeders.
    like I said before if texel breeders won't use their own ewes(even crossbreds) there has to be something wrong.

Denial served shorthorns well :D guess it should have the same result for texels

There's no point in cursing the dark if you're not prepared to turn on the light,
    texel breeders won't change, they're doing very well ,so you have to.
    Introduce belclare/lleyn etc into your breeding to neutralise the texel problems a bit...... problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Someone was asking about a ewe giving birth a second time in the same season?
    https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1238470445474754562?s=19

Someone was asking about a ewe giving birth a second time in the same season?
    https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1238470445474754562?s=19

Wouldn't be the first ewe that took another ewes lambs and then had her own a fortnight later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Wouldn't be the first ewe that took another ewes lambs and then had her own a fortnight later.

They seem pretty adamant that it's the one ewe, wrangler. A commercial ewe and I'd be thinking along the same lines but this is a pedigree ewe so I imagine the supervision would have been good enough to spot a ewe stealing triplets?

There's no point in cursing the dark if you're not prepared to turn on the light,
    texel breeders won't change, they're doing very well ,so you have to.
    Introduce belclare/lleyn etc into your breeding to neutralise the texel problems a bit...... problem solved

I don't have a problem with them cos I got out of them several generations ago and am just observing that others are doing the same.
    I am lamenting the destruction of a good genetic resource by selfish short term greed and lack of responsibility and denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Currently at 68 lambed 122 lambs and 12 deaths. Not the best year for deaths but have to say lambs are looking great. About 15 left to lamb. Mostly singles, they have all held on to the end. Have a few 'dry' ones I need to check, might just be late. Weather is meant to pick up mid week so with some luck shed will be more or less empty this day week.

I'd be more than happy with that. Things have improved alot here all the same and sheds well emptied out again and anything that is outside are flying so hopefully what's left til lamb wont be any bother. I'm the opposite as it's nearly all doubles I've left singles seemed till come 1st this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

• Advertisement

Rang local smyths feed man today till order more meal was told probably be friday if there still open hes there 35 years and said office has never been as busy and most off there smaller suppliers are moreless already sold out. Is it panic buying? I know some ingredients in meal is imported is that the reason why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Rang local smyths feed man today till order more meal was told probably be friday if there still open hes there 35 years and said office has never been as busy and most off there smaller suppliers are moreless already sold out. Is it panic buying? I know some ingredients in meal is imported is that the reason why?
    Ya a mixture of panic buying and the weather.
    We've the most of a pallet left and I'm considering ordering more and a pallet of fertiliser.

Have some ewes year that scanned empty but were run with a cast ram for a few weeks after scanning and now could be in lamb, could these ewes be sold in the mart or would issues rise if they turned out in lamb. Would be sold as cast ewes.

Have some ewes year that scanned empty but were run with a cast ram for a few weeks after scanning and now could be in lamb, could these ewes be sold in the mart or would issues rise if they turned out in lamb. Would be sold as cast ewes.

Get em scanned,even a vet to know if in lamb

Get em scanned,even a vet to know if in lamb

Only have 6,scanner won't come for that amount, 8f they were in lamb they wouldn't be due until end of June, was only with ram for 2 weeks

Only have 6,scanner won't come for that amount, 8f they were in lamb they wouldn't be due until end of June, was only with ram for 2 weeks

Up to yourself,i wouldnt chance selling em,i know alot would,
    but find it unethical,same with selling faulty sheep which are ok,but who should be culled (excessive lame,poor milk supply etc)

Would you not get a vet out to scan em,wont tell you numbers,but will know if in lamb or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Ring the mart, there is a scanner at a lot of sales this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I've heard ewes been sold as 'ran with a ram from x date'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

JOINT ILL :

Have a lamb and possible other one in field with joint ill. im giving the lambs 1.5 ml of Betamox and 0.5 ml of Tolfine as an antiinflamotary. anyone got thoughts? is Noroclav better as an antibiotic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Put them in a trailer and bring them to wherever the scanner man is that say

Advertisement