Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Quick fire advice needed lads ewe here I found her with water bag out wasnt bust left her a wile no punching eating away at straw put hand in her opened at back but not inside can feel the head but cant get working till get feet. How long would u leave her? Thinking a letting her go till half 3 and trying her again

Gave her 100ml a calcium aswell. Ewe is 6 years old looks happy but no notion a pushing. Cant really do anything but wait I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lambman wrote: »
    Quick fire advice needed lads ewe here I found her with water bag out wasnt bust left her a wile no punching eating away at straw put hand in her opened at back but not inside can feel the head but cant get working till get feet. How long would u leave her? Thinking a letting her go till half 3 and trying her again

Some of our ewes are very slow as well, one here before lunch today took three hours from putting out the water bag.
    Oxytocin might help if she's not progressing, give her 2ml intra muscular and wait 20 mins, handle her gently then

Id be wary,if its just the head

Keep close eye

Id be wary,if its just the head

Keep close eye

Sometimes even coming headfirst, they don't open up because the nose is pointing down and the forehead coming first.
    Or she could be ringed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Gently massage her, put your gingers in first until you can make a fist and gently bring it in and out, usually opens them up enough to get the legs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

how did it go?

Took them from her after 4.5 hours a me seeing water bag out 2 living lambs got legs up got first out 2nd was comin in a ball think that's why she couldn't push. Will try put pic up tomorrow 2 massive lambs. 2 more sets since 1 after I came home and was just outta shower.

Thought when I seen how much blood was on 1st lamb the 2 would be dead. Bitta good luck for once

Question lads I have 6 ewes here all scanned with singles but all empty no sort off a bag at all. All hoggets bred myself any hoggets thatvscanned with doubles all lambed ok. Would you be blaming the scanner or is it something more sinister? Same scanner for a lifetime never far away 99% I'd say.

• Advertisement

Question lads I have 6 ewes here all scanned with singles but all empty no sort off a bag at all. All hoggets bred myself any hoggets thatvscanned with doubles all lambed ok. Would you be blaming the scanner or is it something more sinister? Same scanner for a lifetime never far away 99% I'd say.

It's unlikely to be the scanner, there's a big difference between a pregnant and barren ewe on the screen. it might be a good idea to blood test them for Enzootic or campylobacter abortion,
    Were the singles in a batch on their own since scanning,

No all together after tupping till scanning then singles pulled away and barren ewes sold.

No all together after tupping till scanning then singles pulled away and barren ewes sold.

It looks like something infectious since scanning, it happened here in one pen in the shed years ago , it was diagnosed as campylobacter after. No vaccine available for that.
    Are you doing any vaccinations for abortion

I'm not wrangler no was advised not till unless I had a problem. Which maybe I now have. Never heard a that disease u mentioned. It's another kick in the stones in an already bad year. Edit. Just read about it definitely not that as it says abortion in late pregnancy these ewes elders are as dry as b4 they went till ram and hoggets are still like a lambs.

I'm not wrangler no was advised not till unless I had a problem. Which maybe I now have. Never heard a that disease u mentioned. It's another kick in the stones in an already bad year. Edit. Just read about it definitely not that as it says abortion in late pregnancy these ewes elders are as dry as b4 they went till ram and hoggets are still like a lambs.

You should do a blood test any way, campylobacter isn't very common but there's a lot of enzootic and toxoplasmosis abortion about.
    Bring them to the vet, it'll be cheaper than a call out, It'd be what I'd do but ask your vet for advice, six is too many.
    When we're scanning I'd be standing eight or ten foot from the screen and I can see on the screen whether a ewe is pregnant or not. so the scanner is unlikely to be wrong

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Anyone ever try a homeopathy treatment for orf in lambs? There seems to be a few tablets on the market but I’m wondering if they’re any good.

No cases here yet but we usually get it in the lambs so I’m trying to plan ahead

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Is promox la the new name for betamox or a cheaper version off it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Anyone ever try a homeopathy treatment for orf in lambs? There seems to be a few tablets on the market but I’m wondering if they’re any good.

No cases here yet but we usually get it in the lambs so I’m trying to plan ahead

It’s viral and one of the reasons so many products on the market is Because it’s viral it gets better itself and whatever farmer has given it gets the credit

Antibiotics will help with secondary infections if it’s bad

The only guaranteed prevention is scabivax. Using it last 10 years & orf is no longer a issue

Use the buckets here never no bother with orf. Just bought 3 today.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks for the replies.

We use Alamycin blue spray on them and it clears up itself after a few days. But tis a pain bringing them in to treat a few, so I was wondering if I could prevent it in the first place.

If you start using Scabivax, do you have to do it every year then?

Re buckets: we’re mixing in a seaweed mineral with the meal and that might be helping too. If nothing else, it’s driving the lambs to eat more meal - they’re mad about it, licking the troughs and everything

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Thanks for the replies.

We use Alamycin blue spray on them and it clears up itself after a few days. But tis a pain bringing them in to treat a few, so I was wondering if I could prevent it in the first place.

If you start using Scabivax, do you have to do it every year then?

Re buckets: we’re mixing in a seaweed mineral with the meal and that might be helping too. If nothing else, it’s driving the lambs to eat more meal - they’re mad about it, licking the troughs and everything

Yes once theres orf in land it will never leave, havr to do them every year

Buauest day lambing since they started today all went well for a change. Hopefully be into single figures after the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

We would have scabivaxed all through the 90's. Stopped doing early 00's and had no orf until 3 years ago. We think we bought it in. Could it really lay dormant for over 12 years on the land.

Two left to lamb here. Got a great burst out over the last few days. About 12 in the shed still mostly trips and the few latest lambers. 79 lambed 130 lambs but 18 deaths. Very high losses.

I found orf to be an issue on the rougher parts here....i always put it down to sheep picking at thorny stuff such as furze/thistle/black thorns etc

Found when we started topping heavily,thistles etc in summer that it ended it in lambs

Now this could all be pure coincidence,

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Thistles have gotten a good hold on the land the last few years. That could be a big one for spreading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

MeTheMan wrote: »
    We would have scabivaxed all through the 90's. Stopped doing early 00's and had no orf until 3 years ago. We think we bought it in. Could it really lay dormant for over 12 years on the land.

Two left to lamb here. Got a great burst out over the last few days. About 12 in the shed still mostly trips and the few latest lambers. 79 lambed 130 lambs but 18 deaths. Very high losses.

Very high losses here too. Man and weather problems, me being the man! It was tough work this spring

Worst year I ever had lambing sheep. Stupid stuff that never happened here b4 like ewes pitched early as never bagged up and ewes lying on lambs. Lost couple ewes aswell thankfully it's nearly over. Last load a nuts came on friday hopefully all I'm buying from here on is fertiliser. Have some real good lambs but not enough. Scared till work out my % outbid say mortality is around 15% with 14 still till lamb only 2 singles in that so if I can save all them would make a good difference on that mortality rate. Tempted till buy in springers after my ewes finish as sheds are all setup and I've about 10 fat ewes till go.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Down to single figures now, 96% lambed at 21 days, 8.2% mortality at lambing excluding aborted lambs, 1.72/ewe to the ram hope to sell 1.7, lost few sheep and didn't bother with adoptions so have 20 pets

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Had a ewe in the garden of the house that looks like she ate holly and ended up croaking. Fecking sheep!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A bit about control of watery mouth from Tommy the vet.
    https://twitter.com/tommythevet/status/1241672133228584962?s=19

Advertisement