Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

wrangler wrote: »
    She must have very poor milk supply. crows wouldn't get two healthy lambs.

Brought her in and she took back her lamb no problem. Not sure what the story is with her as the lamb is full of milk now?. Will keep a close watch on her over the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

390kid wrote: »
    When you apply for a flock number do you need the shed and the pen?

If you’ve a herd number already, just contact the DVO and say you’re getting a few sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Just a holding pen I wired off a pen inside a gate off a 16+ acre field and hung a gate on it and inspector looked over main gate says that's a good long term job not like these boys sticking up a few pallets and that was moreless it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Was giving a cousin a hand lambing yesterday and he’s feeding a mix of oats, barley, and soya to the ewes pre-lambing.

He reckons the ewes don’t get as fat and the lambs are hardier too giving them this mix compared to just meal.

It works out a nice bit cheaper as well.

Anyone on here ever try it?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Was giving a cousin a hand lambing yesterday and he’s feeding a mix of oats, barley, and soya to the ewes pre-lambing.

He reckons the ewes don’t get as fat and the lambs are hardier too giving them this mix compared to just meal.

That's what's in the rations too, I'd like to include a mineral mix as well.
    Provided the ewes get adequate energy, good quality protein and minerals, there won't be much difference, mightn't be much difference in the cost either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hi all. Looking for recommendations on these automatic adjustable vaccination guns to speed up the job instead of what I do presently which is a normal syringe and refill from the bottle after every shot

For injecting not dosing

Asking for trouble if not including minerals surely?

They are what makes the meal dearer afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

That's what's in the rations too, I'd like to include a mineral mix as well.
    Provided the ewes get adequate energy, good quality protein and minerals, there won't be much difference, mightn't be much difference in the cost either

Most meals at €300 a tonne are stuffed with cheap fillers. If you can get the minerals and protein into them another way, all the better.

Most meals at €300 a tonne are stuffed with cheap fillers. If you can get the minerals and protein into them another way, all the better.

Not all suppliers put in rubbish, they'll have a ration for those that don't care alright and you get what you pay for.

Was over with him again today. About €60/ton he reckons he saves. And he does add minerals too - I just don’t cop that yesterday.

Not sure tis worth the hassle to be honest if you’re not feeding too many tons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Not all suppliers put in rubbish, they'll have a ration for those that don't care alright and you get what you pay for.

That's the problem down here. Your paying €300 a tonne and still not getting the top ingredients. I know you mentioned who you got your stuff off before and the ingredients and they were better then what's available down here, but your suppliers too far away from me. Sheep are scarce around here, so the merchants concentrate on the dairy instead.

Was over with him again today. About €60/ton he reckons he saves. And he does add minerals too - I just don’t cop that yesterday.

Not sure tis worth the hassle to be honest if you’re not feeding too many tons

I used to mix all my own here when I grew barley ,a lot of hassle and i even had a little electric one ton mixer.
    Unless you buy the ingredients in bulk, it's difficult to get it att a good price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Had a ewe with twins first came ok lambed herself 2nd was every way but the right way got it from her all ok everything grand for 5 days then she prolapses and stopped milking I've harness on her and let her out till field with it still on. Anyways question is it's been 4 days now and shes grand but I'm selling her on monday should I chance her with it off or stick a stitch in her even at this stage being sold as fat ewe till a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Sounds like she got an infection after been handled. Had you injected her?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

If you’ve a herd number already, just contact the DVO and say you’re getting a few sheep

No I have neither meself. Think it’s high time for branching out

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Lambman wrote: »
    Just a holding pen I wired off a pen inside a gate off a 16+ acre field and hung a gate on it and inspector looked over main gate says that's a good long term job not like these boys sticking up a few pallets and that was moreless it.

Ah right not so bad. Wouldn’t have much comfort working around a few pallets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

At what age do people start creep feeding lambs? Have month old lambs here and no grass, currently feeding ewes meal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

DJ98 wrote: »
    At what age do people start creep feeding lambs? Have month old lambs here and no grass, currently feeding ewes meal

Ya theyd start eating it no bother

Ya theyd start eating it no bother

I read on here someplace last year that it's apparently worth creep feeding Jan and Feb lambs to get them out the gate faster while prices are still high, but no point in creeping March and April lambs because getting them out the gate faster doesn't translate into a higher price.

I guess it's to do with the graph of price drops and price rises not being equal.

Having said that, our Jan-born lambs started picking at the meal with their mothers when they were just a week old and they continued on it since then. Grass is very scarce here so it's handy to have them on the meal properly, as well as the ewes (though tis costing enough!) They're out of good CharTex rams and have good shape/muscle but the creep has obviously helped too.

So, contradicting myself, I'd probably creep feed March lambs as well even though it might cut into the margin a bit. It seems to keep any nutritional stress at bay and leads to less lameness and mucky arse issues.

Might be an idea to set up a little pen in the field just for the lambs and give them a cooked loose ration and mix in flaked maize to get them started. Throw some straw on the ground in there too as it encourages them to go in and lie down there. They like a soft, dry place to lie down - like us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Im creep feeding lambs this three weeks its only this week there in the creep and getting through meal. i used to be of the opinion that id give them creep til a bit of grass came then stop and just finish on grass but im abandoning that idea, im going to keep them on creep all summer and finsh as many as i can before weaning , they melt after weaning and take a good month to get back on track if not on meal already. so going to push them on creep all summer , get numbers down and ewes off land quick and make way for stores in late july.makes sense for an animal to get from birth to slaughter in the quickest time and bring in the next batch

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Im creep feeding lambs this three weeks its only this week there in the creep and getting through meal. i used to be of the opinion that id give them creep til a bit of grass came then stop and just finish on grass but im abandoning that idea, im going to keep them on creep all summer and finsh as many as i can before weaning , they melt after weaning and take a good month to get back on track if not on meal already. so going to push them on creep all summer , get numbers down and ewes off land quick and make way for stores in late july.makes sense for an animal to get from birth to slaughter in the quickest time and bring in the next batch

I found this to be most profitable way of doing things

Aim for less than 100 days and max 115 here anyway most years(unlikely to hit 100 days this year,only have circa 8 to 10 days max good cover left now though,still hoping all gone by 12th july at absolute latest)

Looking like il feed course mix to ewes this year aswell,first time in years to need feed ewes post lambing.....hope lamb prices are reasonable this year to compensate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Unfortunately I think realistically we are all going to take a fair hit in price for lambs given the Covid 19 crisis.

As a matter of interest are the factories still killing at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Unfortunately I think realistically we are all going to take a fair hit in price for lambs given the Covid 19 crisis.

As a matter of interest are the factories still killing at the moment?

Why?
    When people are shopping at the minute they arent looking at the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

ganmo wrote: »
    Why?
    When people are shopping at the minute they arent looking at the prices.

Factories will use any excuse to pull prices - probably feel emboldened after the car crash that is beef:mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Factories will use any excuse to pull prices - probably feel emboldened after the car crash that is beef:mad::(

Sure they are at it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Would month old lambs that are on a bottle take to a Foster ewe at this stage or would it be a waste of time?

Birdnuts wrote: »

Factories gave up fighting farmers decades ago. The factory men put on their suits and took the fight to Govt offices. Politicians listened to them and little changes were made to various policies and legislation over the years, and here we are now with just three main beef players and six factories that kill sheep. But apparently this is more efficient (for who?) and is definitely, absolutely not a cartel. It's just coincidence they all quote the same prices, honestly.

Add in the retailers who have led people to believe food (low margin) is free, but phones, TVs, and various luxuries (high-margin) are necessities, and it's a wonder any of us are still operating.

I'm not trying to be negative or complain. This is the reality across much of Europe for farmers. Unless we can "add some value" ourselves to what we produce, then we have to keep taking the factories medicine.

DJ98 wrote: »
    Would month old lambs that are on a bottle take to a Foster ewe at this stage or would it be a waste of time?

I'd say they'd love her!

Bigger question though is will she love them?

Try it sure and see from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭kk.man

Factories gave up fighting farmers decades ago. The factory men put on their suits and took the fight to Govt offices. Politicians listened to them and little changes were made to various policies and legislation over the years, and here we are now with just three main beef players and six factories that kill sheep. But apparently this is more efficient (for who?) and is definitely, absolutely not a cartel. It's just coincidence they all quote the same prices, honestly.

Add in the retailers who have led people to believe food (low margin) is free, but phones, TVs, and various luxuries (high-margin) are necessities, and it's a wonder any of us are still operating.

I'm not trying to be negative or complain. This is the reality across much of Europe for farmers. Unless we can "add some value" ourselves to what we produce, then we have to keep taking the factories medicine.

Excellent post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yeah ICM killing away , went with the last 11 store lambs from Kerry yesterday, 5:50

Advertisement