Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Had a ewe today that was lambing outside in the middle of the field and at the peak of the heat today. Anyways i left her be when I seen the water bag and a head and two legs for a good hour as she was trying to lamb . As I returned no progress had been made so i caught her and pulled the lamb out but discovered he never took a breath and was dead ? Anyone ever see this before? Fine big lamb ! No swollen head everything was positions right as that’s why I let her be .. would the sun and heat had anything to do with it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Young95 wrote: »
    Had a ewe today that was lambing outside in the middle of the field and at the peak of the heat today. Anyways i left her be when I seen the water bag and a head and two legs for a good hour as she was trying to lamb . As I returned no progress had been made so i caught her and pulled the lamb out but discovered he never took a breath and was dead ? Anyone ever see this before? Fine big lamb ! No swollen head everything was positions right as that’s why I let her be .. would the sun and heat had anything to do with it ??

Had the same last week. Dad was watching her lamb from a far but never cleared the bag off lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

just in after taking 2 dead lambs from a yearling, she had bad ring womb both had water bellies and there was a blast of toxic gas after the second one that was vile,

she had started losing bits of wool for last couple of days & most likely it was from the toxins

besides that all the yearling have doubles bar 1 single and she fecking lid on him and smothered him.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

orm0nd wrote: »
    just in after taking 2 dead lambs from a yearling, she had bad ring womb both had water bellies and there was a blast of toxic gas after the second one that was vile,

she had started losing bits of wool for last couple of days & most likely it was from the toxins

besides that all the yearling have doubles bar 1 single and she fecking lid on him and smothered him.

These things happen. Hopefully your hogget will be ok and not too sick from the toxins. Give her plenty of pen strep and fingers crossed she’ll be grand. I find lambing hoggets more enjoyable in some ways. You know to leave them alone and handle them as little as possible. They are generally great little mothers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Just seems like alot off stuff till put on it I'd imagine shes fair black. Hopefully get rain soon. Its not really needed for 3-4 weeks anyways so I'll keep an eye on it maybe fire a locka singles out I 2 weeks time. It was free yea but I had till pay half off contractors charge off €200 so I'm happy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Young95 wrote: »

Look at my post from yesterday morning. Same thing happened here. The sun dried out the bag and suffocated your lamb.

Had a ewe start lambing outside in the last 20 minutes as I passed by. She got tired midway and stood up. But what I noticed was the even though she wasn't there long, the minute the lambs head was out and two legs still half back, the bag was drying and going hard from the sun. I burst the bag but if it had been another minute the lamb would have suffocated. Someone was asking last week, why the bags were hard, the answer in my case anyway, was the sun was drying it out.

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Look at my post from yesterday morning. Same thing happened here. The sun dried out the bag and suffocated your lamb.

Yes thanks see it now ! It was some sickner but look she has one live lamb anyways and all I can do is learn and move on .

id a bottle of wormer thta i mislaid last year but found yesterday. Its out of date on the bottle but never opened etc. Would it be safe to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

id a bottle of wormer thta i mislaid last year but found yesterday. Its out of date on the bottle but never opened etc. Would it be safe to use?

it would be safe, but I'd use it fairly fast after opening, it might not be 100% effective, but if it was mine I'd use it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Tileman

Lambman wrote: »
    Just seems like alot off stuff till put on it I'd imagine shes fair black. Hopefully get rain soon. Its not really needed for 3-4 weeks anyways so I'll keep an eye on it maybe fire a locka singles out I 2 weeks time. It was free yea but I had till pay half off contractors charge off €200 so I'm happy enough.

Jeez not sure I would have half paid contractors charge. Sur u were doing them a favour by facilitating land to spread on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Exactly I’m just doing things on a slightly different scale. When you’re set up right it’s as easy to have 1000 sheep as it is 10. I still gotta get up and put my boots on and go do it like everyone else but instead of having a ewe lambing I might have a dozen. If I’m organised right ie good set up and sheep who do their job I’ll be done before the fella chasing around after a sheep or sucking/tubing lambs.
    Same with pet lambs I don’t want the fookers but I have the machine soI just make sure it has plenty of powder and they have creep and leave them to it. I find some of the pets are fit before lambs with their mothers most years provided you never let them outside.

I only let mine out yesterday 🙈 but in last night and out again this morning. they were thriving well inside to be fair but we’re powering through the milk. I have them dosed already for cocdi as thought they getting a bit dirty in shed. I’ll wean them completely (bar one lad that got joint I’ll and 3 younger ones) in a couple of days. I’m very happy how they have done so far and may be a mistake letting them out, I don’t know. No pot bellies at all yet and lovely and fat. One thing I noticed this year is they do mad for fresh straw everyday. They have a nice pic of grass and creep outside too so fingers crossed I’m not doing wrong.

Tileman wrote: »
    Jeez not sure I would have half paid contractors charge. Sur u were doing them a favour by facilitating land to spread on

Jeez you’re a lovely fella!! What would you have done told him to piss off I suppose!! €100 to fertilise an out farm. Even if it wasn’t the contractor I would normally use I’d have paid it gladly. Might come a day when you need baling or something done in a hurry and you’re own man is busy and you gotta ring that man to come!! Little apples...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Yea I was doing them a favour but I would off had till still bag it myself shortly anyways. I'd get on well with the contractor even though he wudn do alot off my work it was more a favour till him instead off a long cart somewhere else. Its €100 by time I'd have sower put on tractor drive out sow it and get back best partvoff my day be gone. I wasn't giving out about the money just thought it sounded like a very heavy dose. Looked at it yesterday its heavy alright. Was gonna spray it for rushes as this is 3rd year since it was done and there coming back again would I need leave it till slurry is washed in? I'd imagine so?

I know its early, but this weather has me thinking, what are lads going to do this year for shearing the sheep ? I normally labour with the Shearer. Cannt see it happening this year. Will lads be keen on letting a shearer inside the gate, if this thing hasn't settled down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I know its early, but this weather has me thinking, what are lads going to do this year for shearing the sheep ? I normally labour with the Shearer. Cannt see it happening this year. Will lads be keen on letting a shearer inside the gate, if this thing hasn't settled down ?

There'll be no New Zealanders or Aussies either
    Itll have to ge done though, maybe lads who arent working might pick up the shears.

For us itll be a case of keeping the sheep to the Shearer and the wool away. The keeping the sheep to him wont be a problem, keeping the wool away would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

getting paid for the wool we be the biggest problem! i would love to look into getting an irish wool board set up, or doing something to get wool prices better for farmers. dunno where to start though

Dickie10 wrote: »
    getting paid for the wool we be the biggest problem! i would love to look into getting an irish wool board set up, or doing something to get wool prices better for farmers. dunno where to start though

Dont think anyone expects any money from the wool at all. Its a pure hindrance

Dont think anyone expects any money from the wool at all. Its a pure hindrance

It's a mugs game and we're dependent on china buying it from us. Introduced a easycare ram into the flock in the autumn for replacements. We'll see how his lambs turn out.

Dickie10 wrote: »

Wool isn’t treated the same here as in oz or nz. There it’s graded all the dags taken off and rolled properly before packing it. Here It’s just picked up shiite and all and shoved into a pack. Imagine having to try sort out that. No wonder it’s worthless but then again if we were getting a decent price for it I’m sure we would make more of an effort.
    Thankfully all ours except the ewe hoggets are winter shorn after scanning and I’ll do them myself at my own pace so don’t have to worry about it for a while. Our shearer packs and takes away the wool so most of it’s outta our hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Wool isn’t treated the same here as in oz or nz. There it’s graded all the dags taken off and rolled properly before packing it. Here It’s just picked up shiite and all and shoved into a pack. Imagine having to try sort out that. No wonder it’s worthless but then again if we were getting a decent price for it I’m sure we would make more of an effort.
    Thankfully all ours except the ewe hoggets are winter shorn after scanning and I’ll do them myself at my own pace so don’t have to worry about it for a while. Our shearer packs and takes away the wool so most of it’s outta our hair.

You know with winter shearing, do they have a very heavy fleece again around July/August when it’s usually very warm? Heard my father say alright beck when he was young and the wool was valuable, people took great care handling it. And all fleeces were rolled, he’s deadly at it but I make a hames of it so it’s just in the bad loose now.

Jeez you’re a lovely fella!! What would you have done told him to piss off I suppose!! €100 to fertilise an out farm. Even if it wasn’t the contractor I would normally use I’d have paid it gladly. Might come a day when you need baling or something done in a hurry and you’re own man is busy and you gotta ring that man to come!! Little apples...

If I read it right the owner of the shed wanted it empty. The person renting the land couldn’t take it. If the person wanted the sheds empty then it’s up to her/ him to pay the contractor.

They used sort wool/open some sacks one time to spot check them.for sh1te/dirt and refuse to take poor quality wool

So,we learned proper way growing up,or ould.lad would kill us here :pac:.....but ive heard tales of lads putting dead lambs into the wool and all sorts of scams nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

ganmo wrote: »
    Itll have to ge done though, maybe lads who arent working might pick up the shears.

For us itll be a case of keeping the sheep to the Shearer and the wool away. The keeping the sheep to him wont be a problem, keeping the wool away would be.

:D:D:D:D

So,we learned proper way growing up,or ould.lad would kill us here :pac:.....but ive heard tales of lads putting dead lambs into the wool and all sorts of scams nowadays
    I learned those lessons early myself. My 2uncles used to do all the local shearing around here. So I’d have to catch, turn over and drag big Suffolk and Cheviot sheep to them both. And clean, roll, tie and pack the wool properly. They rarely had a pen built and no one thought to tell me about twisting their necks to knock them down. Some hardship. I was 14 and got 20p a sheep, delighted I was but when I look back. Well I can only laugh

ganmo wrote: »

A good few lads around here put down plastic in the corner of the shed build a big pen on top and just fire the wool into the pen pile it up like. Then just pick it up with a silage grab into a grain/silage trailer. Bring it to merchants tip it out and off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

A good few lads around here put down plastic in the corner of the shed build a big pen on top and just fire the wool into the pen pile it up like. Then just pick it up with a silage grab into a grain/silage trailer. Bring it to merchants tip it out and off you go.

Would imagine you would need a lot of ewes to make that worth doing,would imagine man shearing would have to watch for too much dirt/dags going into the open pile as Wool Merchant would be able to spot them easily when wool tipped out:)

Would imagine you would need a lot of ewes to make that worth doing,would imagine man shearing would have to watch for too much dirt/dags going into the open pile as Wool Merchant would be able to spot them easily when wool tipped out:)

It’s easier than packing it. It wouldn’t be my way of doing things but it’s what’s happening. You would need to keep it clean all right but that’s what we should be doing anyway

Tileman wrote: »
    If I read it right the owner of the shed wanted it empty. The person renting the land couldn’t take it. If the person wanted the sheds empty then it’s up to her/ him to pay the contractor.
    So what your saying in that situation you would say I didn’t ask you to fertilise my out farm. I was gonna buy my own fertiliser or spend a day agitating and drawing slurry but it’s done now for me. I’m not paying you €100 to save me the time and hassle

• Advertisement

So what your saying in that situation you would say I didn’t ask you to fertilise my out farm. I was gonna buy my own fertiliser or spend a day agitating and drawing slurry but it’s done now for me. I’m not paying you €100 to save me the time and hassle

I’d say it’s more than 100 euro if it’s half the charge for 35k gallons. And yes If someone wanted to empty their tank around here and are looking for land to spread it the lad receiving it doesn’t pay.

Advertisement