Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The only way you can remove a tail is to put the ring on them inside 1 week of age.

If you really really hate the sight of it a vet might cut it off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

One long tail won't do any harm. The ram will no exactly what he is at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

IH784man wrote: »
    Bought a ewe a week or 2 ago in the mart,she has a long tail,hate them on ewes,anyway I can remove it as painless as possible before the ram goes out in August?Could I use a rubber band

No that can only be used when they are under a week old. That would cause unnecessary suffering. Sur the ram will work away just keep the tail clipped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

It doesn't bother me that much would just prefer it off,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

IH784man wrote: »
    It doesn't bother me that much would just prefer it off,thanks
    Seen men do it with the squeezers they use for castrating calfs.. it's fast and very little blood... but it wouldn bother me having a ewe with a long tail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I haven't docked tails for more than 20 years and only one ewe died of twin lamb in that time. A quarter of a ewes fat reserves are held in the tail so I am very uneasy about tailing lambs I may be keeping for breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Never mind the vet we used to cut the tails off all our lambs with a knife up until about 3 years ago. We still cut the tails off 5 or 6 lambs every year that we forget to put rings on. There is a fair bit of blood afterwards but none of the lambs ever got an infection and none of them started losing weight or anything like that. Now we use the rings. It's a lot less painful on the lamb and is probably the best option but if you have the odd one or two with tails, don't be afraid to cut them off.

This is a public forum, what you're advocating there is not on. Please don't be encouraging anyone else to carry on like that.

Never mind the vet we used to cut the tails off all our lambs with a knife up until about 3 years ago. We still cut the tails off 5 or 6 lambs every year that we forget to put rings on. There is a fair bit of blood afterwards but none of the lambs ever got an infection and none of them started losing weight or anything like that. Now we use the rings. It's a lot less painful on the lamb and is probably the best option but if you have the odd one or two with tails, don't be afraid to cut them off.

I know it can be done but it shouldn't and you shouldn't admit that you did it either

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/crosscompliance/farmadvisorysystem/2012fastrainingpresentations/FASWELFARE12.pdf
    Page 20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Going to buy some clik online. Who's reliable and straightforward to order off ? Agridirect ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Going to buy some clik online. Who's reliable and straightforward to order off ? Agridirect ????

Deal with agridirect weekly,

and never had a complaint about them, and any issue i had was sorted quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Came across first maggot strike today during the first batch of shearing here. The smell would floor you:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Came across first maggot strike today during the first batch of shearing here. The smell would floor you:(

Noticed my dry hoggets coughing allot the past two weeks. Dosed them all last week with worm dose but see some still at it this evening. Would be fairly bad if they were running into next field etc. Would they need S other dose or what would ye revommend. 3 different batches of bought in ewe lambs in wintertime do hard to know their history

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

sea12 wrote: »
    Noticed my dry hoggets coughing allot the past two weeks. Dosed them all last week with worm dose but see some still at it this evening. Would be fairly bad if they were running into next field etc. Would they need S other dose or what would ye revommend. 3 different batches of bought in ewe lambs in wintertime do hard to know their history

What was the product you used?

Dung samples only way if u don't know there history...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Were they on a ewe or a dry hogget?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Were they on a ewe or a dry hogget?

Just weighing today and was gonna wean them but might let it go for a week.... I remember a thread on people having alot off ram lambs this year and I seen it on a few farms but I'm around 70% ewe lambs wonder is it just nature or what's the reasoning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Would ye dose lambs for worms the same day ye wean them or is it a bit much?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Would ye dose lambs for worms the same day ye wean them or is it a bit much?

I wouldn't think it is a bit much. I dipped and weaned the lambs on the same day last week. It didn't seem to affect their performance. They seem to have thrived fairly well since then.

Have a few ewes that are 3yr olds now, didnt go im lamb last year but didnt bother to sell them as had plenty of grass, would these be better sold and buy hoggets or is there a chance they will go in lamb this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

DJ98 wrote: »
    Have a few ewes that are 3yr olds now, didnt go im lamb last year but didnt bother to sell them as had plenty of grass, would these be better sold and buy hoggets or is there a chance they will go in lamb this year.

How long was the Rams with them for? You could keep them and they would more than likely go in-lamb. However, when you have ewes not getting in lamb after three cycles ( guessing the Ram was out at least 6 weeks) you have to ask yourself is this ewe really worth keeping. Also Ewes prices were 2.90 last week and I'm sure the won't be any less than 2.80 this week. You won't get prices like that very often. If it was me I would cull them. We cull any ewes not in lamb at scanning. It helps keep our lambing spread tight.

The ram was out with them from October to end of January so they had plenty of cycles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I'd be worried they'd be too fat for the ram, kept ewes before that didn't go in lamb the year before and they got as far as fools over the winter...

I would be of the opinion as well that ewes not in lamb should be sold off at scanning. Esp if they are with the ram for 3 months...

Are hoggets or 3-4 yr old ewes a better option for replacements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Are hoggets or 3-4 yr old ewes a better option for replacements?

Given you have the ewes I'd chance em away.

When will you put em with the ram? Do you raddle the ram? Do you have a teaser ram or use the ram effect?

Would you have time to give your ewes one or two cycles with the ram - if no raddle then see if you can sell and get hoggets then?

The price of the ewes won't buy a hogget.
    If any of them aren't in lamb at scanning time give them gate but I wouldn't be pushed till then

Maybe absorbed embryo's before scanning, if good ewes I'd chance them but would never keep any replacements from them

As for buying older ewes is generally avoid it unless you know why there been sold. You don't want to end up with others problems

razor8 wrote: »
    Maybe absorbed embryo's before scanning, if good ewes I'd chance them but would never keep any replacements from them

As for buying older ewes is generally avoid it unless you know why there been sold. You don't want to end up with others problems

What causes embyros to be absorbed?

Usually toxo but can be enzootic as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Not a hope I would keep them. Cull all empties at scanning here and would sell a few scanned with singles and replace them with horneys scanned with twins for less money.Ewes are €2.90 and they should be fat doing nothing up to now. Why take the risk with them when they've lost u money all summer.

Advertisement