Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Lambman wrote: »
    Looking at lambs I heptavaced on Wednesday last and I see swelling at the site I give it till them like fluid build up. Will it go away or do I need drain it? Only about less than 5% was same automatic syringe done them all.

Did the needle get dirty at any stage?
    If the lumps grow it might be an infection but I've often seen a lump stay around after injecting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Looking at lambs I heptavaced on Wednesday last and I see swelling at the site I give it till them like fluid build up. Will it go away or do I need drain it? Only about less than 5% was same automatic syringe done them all.

Would you have injected into the skin rather than under the skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Did you disinfect or change the syringe at all. I put it in a small sponge wet with disinfectant and never have any problem.

390kid wrote: »
    Has anyone on here done a shearing course? I wouldn’t mind picking up the proper technique of it other than the rooting I do be at

The uncles used to change hands half way around and could never get the hang of it. So I did a coarse a long long time ago with George Graham. Excellent teacher. I’m decent enough 20 or so an hour but still can’t manage the first step of putting ewes leg between my leg :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

The uncles used to change hands half way around and could never get the hang of it. So I did a coarse a long long time ago with George Graham. Excellent teacher. I’m decent enough 20 or so an hour but still can’t manage the first step of putting ewes leg between my leg :-)

Yeah! I have the same problem myself and getting the very last bit around the tail. Wonder is he still doing the courses? If I could do near 20 a hour and then nice and tasty looking I’d be quite happy

• Advertisement

Yeah! I have the same problem myself and getting the very last bit around the tail. Wonder is he still doing the courses? If I could do near 20 a hour and then nice and tasty looking I’d be quite happy

When you clean the belly do a stroke both sides of the tail. Then when doing the long blows along the back make sure to do an extra blow along the far side of the spine. Take your time, do every sheep the exact same then it’ll become 2nd nature and you can increase your speed then. Good luck won’t be a bother on ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

There's a video from george, he'll probably hold courses this year again if he's allowed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2mH-PM5S4E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

What are people giving lambs for their 1st dose at about 6-8 weeks and would ye give a shot of cobalt or are they too young ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

No never changed needle or disinfected it. Says not till use disinfectant on the package. Also says immunisation may cause swelling at injection site that could last up till 4 months and be hot till touch for up to 14 days after being injected.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Sami23 wrote: »
    What are people giving lambs for their 1st dose at about 6-8 weeks and would ye give a shot of cobalt or are they too young ?

When we lambed in mid-March we gave a white drench with cobalt powder mixed in when they were around 8 weeks. They're getting as much from the grass as their mother's milk at that stage so that's when the worm burden can increase.

Wrangler explained the mixing ratio on here, and I think it's 15 grams of cobalt sulphate powder to 1 litre of dose. Mix well and sieve it to make sure it doesn't clog the dosing gun.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

I follow vaccination programme with Heptavac….gave the ewes Hep P Plus a month before lambing,most of lambs 3 weeks to a month of age now,getting tight on grass where they all are,would it be ok to give some lambs that are a fortnight of age their Hep P plus shot now as well?

Could do with moving them all to an outfarm to fresh grass so would prefer to inject all together.

appreciate any thoughts.

I done that western promise done the lot from 2 weeks + till near 7. Everything looks grand was this day last week I done them. Except for the lumps were I injected some a them looks like not bothering them. Just feard it would bust and get infected.. into big bother then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭kk.man

I done that western promise done the lot from 2 weeks + till near 7. Everything looks grand was this day last week I done them. Except for the lumps were I injected some a them looks like not bothering them. Just feard it would bust and get infected.. into big bother then.
    I buy surgical spirits from the vets. Always sterilise niddldes and seriinges in it.

Deos he do courses for beginners??

I had lad here last year and was bit disappointed with finish (blunt combs???),ended up having to tidy half of em by hand the following weekend (also had more than 1,with mark on doug)

Same lad wants e3 ewes/hoggets and e4 for rams this year,thinking of going doing em myself.....i havnt any dreams of being a world beater etc,but i just want em done tidy

kk.man wrote: »
    I buy surgical spirits from the vets. Always sterilise niddldes and seriinges in it.

I do something similar. Got 2 sponges left over from bolus container. Get top off a spray can. Cut sponges to fit. Put dettol etc in and put your syringe in every time you finish a line while you’re filling the race. Never had any problem

I try and keep a spare needle with me rather than disinfect it.
    If you're doing a good number I've noticed the needle going slightly dull and when ya swap them the sheep dont seem to react as much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭kk.man

I do something similar. Got 2 sponges left over from bolus container. Get top off a spray can. Cut sponges to fit. Put dettol etc in and put your syringe in every time you finish a line while you’re filling the race. Never had any problem

I never leave them in it cause of rust but I use the 3 rinse rule.. Fill seringe 3 times and empty.

Was automatic gun never break the needles in them when using the size for under skin so never changed it. Saying that it never got dirty and always clean stuff filling outta bottle because its automatic. Looking today there again 1 small lamb very bad others seem be going down noticeably.not affecting them 1 bit. Made decision till creep best a the singles that's rams fairly sure if they take till the creep quick I'll have them all gone before end a may hopefully prices hold till then.

kk.man wrote: »
    I never leave them in it cause of rust but I use the 3 rinse rule.. Fill seringe 3 times and empty.

Oh no I only do that while doing the job. If I’m doing a lot of sheep I’ll change the needle a few times. When I’m finished I’ll throw away the needle and rince the gun in warm soapy water and put it away

Was automatic gun never break the needles in them when using the size for under skin so never changed it. Saying that it never got dirty and always clean stuff filling outta bottle because its automatic. Looking today there again 1 small lamb very bad others seem be going down noticeably.not affecting them 1 bit. Made decision till creep best a the singles that's rams fairly sure if they take till the creep quick I'll have them all gone before end a may hopefully prices hold till then.

We’re creeping all the March singles and all the February born lambs since they were born. They’re doing well last few weeks. Some nearly fit already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

https://www.gibsonsonline.ie/product/philips-20ml-automatic-drencher

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/nj-philips-20ml-auto-drencher?gclid=CjwKCAjw1v_0BRAkEiwALFkj5jy4jTcFrJ1LO9n595SN_qGwyH2pasoCs5zw9d3_5e8e5-JINBmlrhoCP1YQAvD_BwE

Was looking for a new dosing gun and decided to give a look around online, seems ro be a considerable piece difference for the same type of gun or is there a difference between the 2 that im missing?

DJ98 wrote: »
    https://www.gibsonsonline.ie/product/philips-20ml-automatic-drencher

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/nj-philips-20ml-auto-drencher?gclid=CjwKCAjw1v_0BRAkEiwALFkj5jy4jTcFrJ1LO9n595SN_qGwyH2pasoCs5zw9d3_5e8e5-JINBmlrhoCP1YQAvD_BwE

Was looking for a new dosing gun and decided to give a look around online, seems ro be a considerable piece difference for the same type of gun or is there a difference between the 2 that im missing?

No difference that I can see

My lambs slow on the uptake here. I dont even own a creep feeder so setup hurdles around the trough leaving a gap just big enuf for lambs till go in seen 6 in today when I was out so hopefully rest will follow. Tried till buy 2 8ft feeding barriers with the up and down bars so I could turn it upside down and would let lambs in between bars but the man says hes 2 lorry load a stuff there waiting be galvanized and cant get it galvanized with the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

Oh no I only do that while doing the job. If I’m doing a lot of sheep I’ll change the needle a few times. When I’m finished I’ll throw away the needle and rince the gun in warm soapy water and put it away

use windscreen wash to protect rubber seals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

lost a lovely big ewe lamb this evening was only dead about half an hour still warm , about 30 kg id say. had froth coming from the mouth, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Dickie10 wrote: »
    lost a lovely big ewe lamb this evening was only dead about half an hour still warm , about 30 kg id say. had froth coming from the mouth, any ideas?

Something clostridial ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

about 7 weeks old , ewes were vaccinated before lambing about 5 weeks before, is it just one of those you can lose from not vaccinating lambs at 5weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

about 7 weeks old , ewes were vaccinated before lambing about 5 weeks before, is it just one of those you can lose from not vaccinating lambs at 5weeks?

Unfortunately, where you've livestock, you'll also have deadstock, no matter how hard you try.

Decision made!! I was in two minds whether to vaccinate the February lambs or chance them as a good few of them are close to fit but tomorrow I’m going to do them. One dead lamb would pay for a lot of vaccine. There’s nothing as annoying as losing a lamb that age suddenly when you think the hard work is over they’re nearly fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Thanks am going doing them at the weekend....also thinking of giving the ewes a Fluke and worm dose.

Advertisement