Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

ill chance them i have low enough numbers. if i lose anymore i might. are you going to have to give two shots 4 weeks apart? or would that be a one off booster because they already got it from colostrum of the ewe.?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

Dickie10 wrote: »
    lost a lovely big ewe lamb this evening was only dead about half an hour still warm , about 30 kg id say. had froth coming from the mouth, any ideas?

pasturella.

blood stained froth a fair indicator.

lambs doing well are really susceptible and when we get a change in the weather it will result in a flush of grass and and could lead to a lot of losses.

in the past we didn't vaccinate lambs in the past and one year had the singles on a newly rented field that had no sheep on it for several generations there was serious growthy weather and lambs powering on and then they started dropping like flies every morning a lamb that ya would be admiring the evening before was stretched . Ewes had been vaccinated but not for pasturella so had to do lambs and the problem stopped.been doing them since still get the occasional one but nothing like that year.

i vaccinated with heptavac p plus, so that be ok for pasteurella?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

serfspup wrote: »
    pasturella.

blood stained froth a fair indicator.

lambs doing well are really susceptible and when we get a change in the weather it will result in a flush of grass and and could lead to a lot of losses.

in the past we didn't vaccinate lambs in the past and one year had the singles on a newly rented field that had no sheep on it for several generations there was serious growthy weather and lambs powering on and then they started dropping like flies every morning a lamb that ya would be admiring the evening before was stretched . Ewes had been vaccinated but not for pasturella so had to do lambs and the problem stopped.been doing them since still get the occasional one but nothing like that year.

Tis why I never understand folk who want to maintain heavy covers of ryegrass for sheep - it rarely ends well in terms of thrive, most lambs will develope bad scours at the minimum:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

i vaccinated with heptavac p plus, so that be ok for pasteurella?

Yeah, fairly sure it covers pasturella. Changed here from Tribovax10 to Heptavec P after losing 3 ewes to suspected pasturella a few years ago. No loses since then

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭kk.man

Anyone starting shearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

kk.man wrote: »

Just after catching a ewe that was hiding in the corner of the field here with dirty dags. She had two patches of maggots around the tail. Getting earlier and earlier each year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Shearing this past 3 weeks unfortunately. Haver over 350 sucked ewes over 70 replacements and 6 rams dine for a man. Hard work with the sucked ewes they were going over on there back more till do with itch than anything told him I wasnt doing them till they were cleared up think he used dectomax itch stopped by time I went back 10 odd days later still a nightmare till clip. Mostly just dry hoggets and rams then for few other people. Sheep still not ready even dry hoggets its coming off them ok but no oil in the wool sore on blades and just not as easy clipped as they should be. Good weather but not warm enough yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »

Yes, my nephew has started ..... he's mad

https://www.facebook.com/Midlands103/videos/233396817928724/?v=233396817928724

wrangler wrote: »

It's always the end of may here before ewes are anyway fit for shearing, but the maggots dont seem to be listening to that rule. I'm trialing a switch over to easycare here , but its going to be a few years before they filter through. In the meantime , must get out the credit card for Clik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

What's ths safest way for a handler to dose lambs that have orf to avoid contacting it and also would it spread to other lambs through a dosing gun? Would oramec be a suitable first dose for lambs?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Had a ewe this evening, crippled with mastitis. Suckin 3 week old twin ram lambs. All looked fine yesterday. Very frustrating when you get them this far. What would be the cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

DJ98 wrote: »
    What's ths safest way for a handler to dose lambs that have orf to avoid contacting it and also would it spread to other lambs through a dosing gun? Would oramec be a suitable first dose for lambs?

This might help a bit, he has a good few bits on sheep on his website.
    https://twitter.com/tommythevet/status/1253996025985073153?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

DJ98 wrote: »

Be careful yourself anyhow. I was wearing gloves giving a tablet to a ewe that had orf a few years ago. Her tooth nicked through the glove and scratched my finger and I ended up getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Had a ewe this evening, crippled with mastitis. Suckin 3 week old twin ram lambs. All looked fine yesterday. Very frustrating when you get them this far. What would be the cause?

3 hoggets killed with it this year:mad:

happened me a few years ago until i started getting ewes out of pens within 48 hrs of lambing and getting OTT on lambing pen cleanliness, bedding like mad cleaning out after 3 max and disenfact and liming again. began to cut it down big time. i think all else being equal its infection of bacteria up through the spin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Ard_MC wrote: »

Had ewes in for dosing yday,came on a ewe with bad smell from her end,turned her up and one side of udder a green/ black colour and teat only drawing blood.
    Has 3 week old twins that are doing well....so she must have great milk in one side.
    Gave her Alamycin LA and keeping her close to home.
    Have a feeling Synulox is a good injection for mastitis?
    Appreciate any thoughts.
    Will ring vets tomorrow as don’t want to lose the ewe.

happened me a few years ago until i started getting ewes out of pens within 48 hrs of lambing and getting OTT on lambing pen cleanliness, bedding like mad cleaning out after 3 max and disenfact and liming again. began to cut it down big time. i think all else being equal its infection of bacteria up through the spin

All mine are lambed outside. Hits them so quick,was grand the eve before and wouldn't come for the dog yesterday.

Had ewes in for dosing yday,came on a ewe with bad smell from her end,turned her up and one side of udder a green/ black colour and teat only drawing blood.
    Has 3 week old twins that are doing well....so she must have great milk in one side.
    Gave her Alamycin LA and keeping her close to home.
    Have a feeling Synulox is a good injection for mastitis?
    Appreciate any thoughts.
    Will ring vets tomorrow as don’t want to lose the ewe.

Give mine the same, was thinking of trying to track down a vet today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

A month afte lambing it hit:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have a horny pet lamb who keeps getting caught in the sheep wire.

Can you cut the horns on sheep?

Have a horny pet lamb who keeps getting caught in the sheep wire.

Can you cut the horns on sheep?

Done it to older sheep to stop going into eyes before

Id imagine there be alot of blood in a lamb??,and personally i wouldnt??

A month afte lambing it hit:(

Had another ewe today. Same story sucking twins.

jesus, sorry pal. my bro in law had three in the last 2 weeks too, have they good supply of milk ordinarily? sometimes if ewes are lacking milk the lambs are at them continuosly and they get sore teats which develop mastitis? have they plnety of grass?

jesus, sorry pal. my bro in law had three in the last 2 weeks too, have they good supply of milk ordinarily? sometimes if ewes are lacking milk the lambs are at them continuosly and they get sore teats which develop mastitis? have they plnety of grass?

They are on good grass and was still getting nuts as I am trying to stretch the grass a bit. Plenty water and ewes usually plenty milk.

But your right, they dropped for some reason as the teats are chapped. Could it be the serious drying, we had lately? Cause I really am stumped on this one.

Could be too much milk/not being drank out enough

I used have this issue,and as fencing/paddocking got better it cleared itself,

I let lambs creep-graze ahead of ewes from month/6 weeks and keep ewes back abit as the milk requirement drops off

Its easy build up ewes again,when dries off,so long as they dont go too extreme/into rags.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Do many of ye guys use Clik or similar?.We had a terrible yr last yr with Maggots so i dont want a repeat. Also is there any way to buy small quanities as ive only small numbers.

yeah clik is the only job , messed around with cheaper versions there a disaster. clickzin for 7 day meat withdrawl for spring lambs , click the ewes after shearing.

yeah clik is the only job , messed around with cheaper versions there a disaster. clickzin for 7 day meat withdrawl for spring lambs , click the ewes after shearing.

Going putting some clik extra on them here now. Will push shearing back to August. Lambs will be weaned then, so easier shearing without them in the way. Will also allow me to get rid of any culls without shearing at that stage as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Lads have a ewe lamb here that put out her lambing bed round 6 days ago and follow day had a very hard lambing. I’ve been giving her 5 ml of synolux for last 6 days since the time she put her bed out . I’ve still the hardness on her but took it off for few hours today and came back to her trying to force her bed out again. So put harness back on . Anything else I can do ? Or just stay injecting her and hope for the best ? Would stichen her be a better job ? Thanks for any reply’s .

Advertisement