Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Young95 wrote: »
    Lads have a ewe lamb here that put out her lambing bed round 6 days ago and follow day had a very hard lambing. I’ve been giving her 5 ml of synolux for last 6 days since the time she put her bed out . I’ve still the hardness on her but took it off for few hours today and came back to her trying to force her bed out again. So put harness back on . Anything else I can do ? Or just stay injecting her and hope for the best ? Would stichen her be a better job ? Thanks for any reply’s .

Would she have another lamb in her, the harness should work, if she's comfortable with it leave it on. it does help to stop them forcing.
    I've seen ewes burst out stitches too.
    We always inject them with something for pain and inflamation after a hard lambing, she's probably very sore inside, it'd help her a lot. It really helps them also stops them from lying on their lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

It’s a pity clikzin isn’t more reasonably priced. If lambs are done 1st may then it only covers until 1st July, and any remaining ones would want another application of it. Clik then has too long of a withdrawal period for doing lambs around now. There’s barely any difference in the price between both like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Tileman

It’s a pity clikzin isn’t more reasonably priced. If lambs are done 1st may then it only covers until 1st July, and any remaining ones would want another application of it. Clik then has too long of a withdrawal period for doing lambs around now. There’s barely any difference in the price between both like

Have a tams application gone in for a shed and put in for a dipping tank also. You can’t beat the dipping . Much handier in the long run in my view

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

Dickie10 wrote: »
    yeah clik is the only job , messed around with cheaper versions there a disaster. clickzin for 7 day meat withdrawl for spring lambs , click the ewes after shearing.

clik has a 16week prevention so assuming shearing second week of may putting clik on 'off shears' it will have worn off well before September which is one of the worst months for fly strike on ewes.

ewes wont get fly strike for a good month or more after shearing so don't waste ur time doing them until then.

people getting very excited about shearing ….it is only 27 of april
    the same geniuses that were roaring to get sheep shorn early last year are now complaining about ewes on their backs.
    HINT leave shearing as long as possible .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

wrangler wrote: »
    Would she have another lamb in her, the harness should work, if she's comfortable with it leave it on. it does help to stop them forcing.
    I've seen ewes burst out stitches too.
    We always inject them with something for pain and inflamation after a hard lambing, she's probably very sore inside, it'd help her a lot. It really helps them also stops them from lying on their lambs

We had 1 similar and had to put a spoon in her as well as the harmless left the spoon for 10 days and the harness for another few days.

We don't normally cull for prolapse but she got a red tag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

5 ltr clik extra €259 from animal farmacy, anybody any better price?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

oh yeah i mean a month at least after shearing when there a enough wool ob them to grip. i usually shear around first week in June and put click on them around late July when im letting them off to flush them on good grass. i didnt either click or dip ewes last year and was some hardship getting ewes in with big nests of maggots up there back and round their sides well into October. 16 weeks click will do so you wouldnt want to be doing them any earlier than mid july , because we seem to get maggots up to mid october now.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

If done mid June they would be covered till mid October

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

how much clik is needed per ewe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

If done mid June they would be covered till mid October

Their selling clik extra for the same price as ordinary clik now. Does 19 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

A big unknown for maggots is the weather and related climate/environment conditions - or whatever it is affects fly lifecycles, breeding, numbers of them, etc.

We had several cases last year, even into October, despite the ewes being dipped in July. Never got around to dipping them in 2018 (year of the drought) and as far as I remember, we only had 2 lambs with minor cases that whole year.

I'm not saying don't treat them. We'll be dipping them in July again this year. But equally, treating them in June vs treating them in August is not the be-all and end-all either, given how different years are good and bad for maggots.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭kk.man

A big unknown for maggots is the weather and related climate/environment conditions - or whatever it is affects fly lifecycles, breeding, numbers of them, etc.

We had several cases last year, even into October, despite the ewes being dipped in July. Never got around to dipping them in 2018 (year of the drought) and as far as I remember, we only had 2 lambs with minor cases that whole year.

I'm not saying don't treat them. We'll be dipping them in July again this year. But equally, treating them in June vs treating them in August is not the be-all and end-all either, given how different years are good and bad for maggots.

It's the rain that drives the maggots and sometimes heavy dew. When rain and dew occur after a hot spell that's when they strike hard. High ditches also don't help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

kk.man wrote: »
    It's the rain that drives the maggots and sometimes heavy dew. When rain and dew occur after a hot spell that's when they strike hard. High ditches also don't help.

Seems like flys/maggots thrive in moist humid weather so. That's interesting about the high ditches too - another reason to get proper fencing done here and keep sheep away from the ditches.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

orm0nd wrote: »
    5 ltr clik extra €259 from animal farmacy, anybody any better price?

Good man yourself, you saved me a tenner or so. I only priced around last night but didn’t come across that site.
    On a different note I want to order a dose for lambs. Looking at endospec. There is 2.5 and 10%. Both have the same dosage rate, 5 ml per kg. What’s the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

DJ98 wrote: »
    https://www.gibsonsonline.ie/product/philips-20ml-automatic-drencher

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/nj-philips-20ml-auto-drencher?gclid=CjwKCAjw1v_0BRAkEiwALFkj5jy4jTcFrJ1LO9n595SN_qGwyH2pasoCs5zw9d3_5e8e5-JINBmlrhoCP1YQAvD_BwE

Was looking for a new dosing gun and decided to give a look around online, seems ro be a considerable piece difference for the same type of gun or is there a difference between the 2 that im missing?

Purchased the dosing gun from Gibsons after along with a few other bits, ordered yesterday morning and delivered early today, excellent service and great value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Good man yourself, you saved me a tenner or so. I only priced around last night but didn’t come across that site.
    On a different note I want to order a dose for lambs. Looking at endospec. There is 2.5 and 10%. Both have the same dosage rate, 5 ml per kg. What’s the difference?

The 10% is for cattle, the 2.5% is for sheep.

The 10% is for cattle, the 2.5% is for sheep.

It says sheep there on the label though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It says sheep there on the label though

Yeah, but look at the dose rate. 2.5mls/50kgs. So a 30kg lamb would be getting only 1.5mls.

That's a very small volume of a dose, even dosing a 50kg lamb, so the risk of over dosing and being caught with residues in the carcass is high.

And then the equal risk of underdosing and encouaging resistance to the dose.

It's the exact same product but the 2.5% is meant to be used for sheep for those reasons. I'm a bit surprised they have done the regulatory paperwork to get approval for sheep in the 10%, tbh.

Either way, great product for sheep. The short withdrawal makes it ideal. Nothing worse with something 30 or 40 day waiting period. They took the good out of duotech with the extended withdrawal

You must be reading that wrong........... 100ml for a 20kg lamb

• Advertisement

You must be reading that wrong........... 100ml for a 20kg lamb

Sorry ya, my stupidity I was reading the volume of the active product. 10% one is 10ml/50kg and 2.5% is 2.5ml/50kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Finally a bit of rain here today!!

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Finally a bit of rain here today!!

and bloody cold here in NW might chill the shearing calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Sorry ya, my stupidity I was reading the volume of the active product. 10% one is 10ml/50kg and 2.5% is 2.5ml/50kg.

Are you sure.

I think the 10% is 4 times stronger.

Wrong again, better read the instructions

https://www.bimeda.ie/media/k2/attachments/1END002_Data_Sheet.pdf

https://www.bimeda.ie/media/k2/attachments/1END009_Data_Sheet.pdf

Now do ye rate the cobalt content ?

I'd an interesting casualty yesterday, a very good ewe lamb ,5 weeks old.
    I found her alive with a swollen head, the brain was so swollen it had the eye pushed out of the socket.
    She died within an hour...... was only admiring her in the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 22 manno

I found her alive with a swollen head, the brain was so swollen it had the eye pushed out of the socket.

You didn't give her 100mls of Endospec did ya?:D:D

a sure way to put a curse on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Farm365

What are people using for first dose for lambs 6wks old? I was thinking of using Albex.

Advertisement