Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Wormed the little lads pet lamb yesterday. 2ml of albex and she has fairly bad scour this morning. Any ideas on what will clear it up?

Probably electrolytes to replace the fluids he's losing and penicillin.

Hopefully it was the 2.5% Albex you used

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

wrangler wrote: »
    Probably electrolytes to replace the fluids he's losing and penicillin.

Hopefully it was the 2.5% Albex you used

seems to have come right again and is roaring for milk again lol. The other 2 i did were fine so i dont think it was the dose that did it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

ganmo wrote: »
    I never saw a lamb receiver the use of their back legs after going down

Yep, brought it to Vet and she gave it some injections. Lamb is still down. Not sure what to do with it now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

hope this isn't against the charter,

there's a young pedigree breeder (on twitter) raffling 2 suffolk ewe lambs
    with all the takings going to The Irish Cancer Society

https://twitter.com/IvybrookSuffolk/status/1259227760142290944

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I see there, the merchants are speculating wool might be only worth 20 cent a kilo this year. Think we've hit rock bottom on it. Pretty much worthless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

why in all the talk of clmate change and the greens getting power, has wool not been cheerleaded to the hilt for its renewable qualities in clothing and building soultions. i think we need a new irsih wool board, (is there actually one at the minute?) to drive this. you would imagine the first port of call would be someone like Kingspan for insulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Dickie10 wrote: »
    why in all the talk of clmate change and the greens getting power, has wool not been cheerleaded to the hilt for its renewable qualities in clothing and building soultions. i think we need a new irsih wool board, (is there actually one at the minute?) to drive this. you would imagine the first port of call would be someone like Kingspan for insulation?

Cannt believe how worthless it has become. You hear stories from generations gone past of wool paying to buy farms and creating riches, to where it is today. Will take 5 fleeces to pay the cost of shearing 1 sheep .

Cannt believe how worthless it has become. You hear stories from generations gone past of wool paying to buy farms and creating riches, to where it is today. Will take 5 fleeces to pay the cost of shearing 1 sheep .

Father told me,he used get a pound a pound for wool back in the 70/80s

And the price of wool,used pay for rental of land every year,and in some cases fertilize it too,leaving lamb as near profit

Deffo gonna have to learn shear now,was bad enough break even,but of losing hundreds every year,soon make a shearing machine cheap

Lost a ewe over the weekend as id put out a good amount of meal with them and she gorged herself. Was having trouble with the tractor airlocking all day saturday so i hadnt checked them again except when going through the field. Went up yesterday morning and she was dead and another looking rough with bloat. Couldnt even eat the dinner yesterday i was that sick from it. Hopefully the other one be all right now. shes shook but over 30 hrs since eating nuts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'd a lamb with pneumonia this morning, probably due to change in weather, I doubt I'd have noticed him sick only he didn't react to the dogs .

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    I'd a lamb with pneumonia this morning, probably due to change in weather, I doubt I'd have noticed him sick only he didn't react to the dogs .

yesterday was bitter cold here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

yesterday was bitter cold here.

Same here, and today isn’t much better. There is a cutting wind out

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Going giving lambs there first worm dose end of the week . What white wormers are lads using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Young95 wrote: »
    Going giving lambs there first worm dose end of the week . What white wormers are lads using ?

Dosed mine on Saturday morning and used Tramazole.

Strange weekend that was.

Had 3 ewes that were scanned for singles that hadn't lambed by last Wednesday so brought them in and put my hand below them and none of them were in lamb. Said I'd take them to market this wednesday so moved them to another field with the other ewes that were to be culled. One lying dead yesterday and she was skipping through the field the day before.

Also lost my good Lanark ram lamb, he was very bare of the wool anyway and had started losing a lot of what he had during the warm weather so i suspect he got pneumonia and it killed him. Hadn't been checking the rams every day so didn't see him for a couple of days, so can't say for sure what got him.

Also one of the freezers I keep the boxed lamb in went down and I've now four full lamb boxes of rotten meat.

On a positive note, I've started digging out for the sheep house. Although the sister is not speaking to me as she says it's going to spoil her view from her kitchen. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Tileman

I remember you talking about planning your shed Antrim glen. What size did you go after. Waiting on tams approval for mine.

95 x 50. Going 4" wall panels rather than blocks, similar to this one. Price is £13,900 for steel, tin and timbers supplied.

95 x 50. Going 4" wall panels rather than blocks, similar to this one. Price is £13,900 for steel, tin and timbers supplied.

Savage setup. What are the panels?

Savage setup. What are the panels?

Precast wall panels, get them made to fit each bay. All set in on the one day between the uprights, saves time building and plastering 2000 six inch blocks.

Precast wall panels, get them made to fit each bay. All set in on the one day between the uprights, saves time building and plastering 2000 six inch blocks.

Looks a fine shed and very reasonable priced too,well wear with it

What price are the pre-cast wall sections vs a tradional pour/shuttering effort?

Looks a fine shed and very reasonable priced too,well wear with it

What price are the pre-cast wall sections vs a traditional pour/shuttering effort?

Didn't price getting it shuttered as I don't think it would require that much steel reinforcing as its not a retaining wall or any heavy loads going against it. 4" x 6ft pre-cast panels were £265 per 16ft bay, which was very competitive compared to blocks and plastering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

that is great value...

no doubt steel will be on the floor with oil price so low and cement will be given away …...according to the free marketeer clever boys:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Fine shed there AG. What width are the pens, passage and work area across? How many ewes are you planning on fitting in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Fine shed there AG. What width are the pens, passage and work area across? How many ewes are you planning on fitting in it?

That’s a neighbours shed, his pens on one side are 16x25, passage is 12ft and pens on other side are 10x25 and he has 5 ft at the rear wall and 3 ft at the front as a walk round/feed space with walk through troughs on the bigger pens. There is 6 ft clear area along one wall for a moveable handling unit or lambing pens. He keeps about 165 ewes in it comfortably enough.
    I still haven’t finalised the layout of mine internally as the site is about 8ft off the level so I may change access around a bit to a yard and small paddock.

That’s a neighbours shed, his pens on one side are 16x25, passage is 12ft and pens on other side are 10x25 and he has 5 ft at the rear wall and 3 ft at the front as a walk round/feed space with walk through troughs on the bigger pens. There is 6 ft clear area along one wall for a moveable handling unit or lambing pens. He keeps about 165 ewes in it comfortably enough.
    I still haven’t finalised the layout of mine internally as the site is about 8ft off the level so I may change access around a bit to a yard and small paddock.

How many square ft needed per ewe?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Is albex 2.5% okay to give lambs for there first worm drench ? I can’t remember if it’s a white wormer or not ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Young95 wrote: »
    Is albex 2.5% okay to give lambs for there first worm drench ? I can’t remember if it’s a white wormer or not ?

It's a white wormer alright.

orm0nd wrote: »
    hope this isn't against the charter,

there's a young pedigree breeder (on twitter) raffling 2 suffolk ewe lambs
    with all the takings going to The Irish Cancer Society

https://twitter.com/IvybrookSuffolk/status/1259227760142290944

ALL TICKETS SOLD IN 6 HOURS.

orm0nd wrote: »
    ALL TICKETS SOLD IN 6 HOURS.

bought two myself

• Advertisement

bought two myself

Good luck. Don't think I have ever won anything in a draw/raffle. Must have supported hundreds over the years.

Advertisement