Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

orm0nd wrote: »
    Good luck. Don't think I have ever won anything in a draw/raffle. Must have supported hundreds over the years.

same, i wouldnt win against a one legged man in an arse kicking contest :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Wonder what infestation rates are like this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Wonder what infestation rates are like this year?

If you had sheep on the same land last year, you probably need to dose your lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

wrangler wrote: »
    If you had sheep on the same land last year, you probably need to dose your lambs

Been busy this year and only got around to nemo dose the other day. Probably didn’t need it. Any that were dirty a week ago had dried up again

My conclusion was that because of the very dry spell there was never a massive hatch of eggs and it appears lambs have managed to build up an natural immunity by themselves

razor8 wrote: »
    Been busy this year and only got around to nemo dose the other day. Probably didn’t need it. Any that were dirty a week ago had dried up again

My conclusion was that because of the very dry spell there was never a massive hatch of eggs and it appears lambs have managed to build up an natural immunity by themselves

I thought it was too cold for a hatch,But the dept. and teagasc flagged the hatch but i wanted to be sure so we waited for it in the FEC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I thought it was too cold for a hatch,But the dept. and teagasc flagged the hatch but i wanted to be sure so we waited for it in the FEC

I thought nemo was the one worm burden they say not to use fec for?

I thought nemo was the one worm burden they say not to use fec for?

It's late when it's in the FEC, but the weather was cold and the lambs were clean and thriving so like Razor I wasn't concerned.
    Normally if you get three or four warm days end of April, there'll be a hatch and you dose a week later without the need for testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Gona go with a mineral dose here for lambs in two weeks time . Just curious to what are others using this year ? Thinking of going with the mayo healthcare bolus as it has 8 weeks cover and has all trace elements.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

First maggots of the year here this morning. Typically, it was in a Suffolk-x ram lamb who has balls, a long tail, and a sh*tty arse!

I bought him along with his mother and 5 other ewes with lambs at foot back in March from a neighbour who was getting out of his small flock.

In fairness, the rest are doing well and we’ve another 6 going to local butcher Monday morning. All 6 are 44-45kg.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Young95 wrote: »
    Gona go with a mineral dose here for lambs in two weeks time . Just curious to what are others using this year ? Thinking of going with the mayo healthcare bolus as it has 8 weeks cover and has all trace elements.

I used growvite

I found lambs done well on it....put a shine on them in less than a week after doing them

• Advertisement

Anyone know,if new ross mart is open again?

(Or what way is it working for selling?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I used growvite

I found lambs done well on it....put a shine on them in less than a week after doing them

I make up a cobalt and copper one. 4 ounces of cobalt sulphate and 1 ounce of copper sulfate made up to 2L. Give 10ml per lamb.
    If you have any texel in your lambs dont add the copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Getting tight on grass here. At what age would people start weaning lambs at??

joe35 wrote: »
    Getting tight on grass here. At what age would people start weaning lambs at??

10 - 14 weeks,
    younger if you like if they're on meal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Anyone know,if new ross mart is open again?

(Or what way is it working for selling?)

Saw a post from New Ross mart on Facebook saying they’re open again. Not sure what way they’re operating thou

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Young95 wrote: »

We drafting lambs every 7 to 10 days and use cobalt b12 with selenium, usually every second draft. Time consuming yes but have tried the bolus etc, and didn't get the same results.

Head a bit melted here lads,helping a neighbour that’s getting on here dosing and retagging any ewes or hoggetts missing tags,he has around 30 ewes with lambs,50 or 60 hoggetts,which are made up of his ewe lambs kept from last year and remainder he bought iykwim.
    Dosing was grand but retagging proving hard to do as the man I’m helping usually gets another man to tag and dose for him but he’s not around this week to help him.
    From what I can see the other man tagging made a mistake and tagged the hoggetts that were born on farm as lambs last year with wrong bag of tags from tag supplier....he skipped a full bag of them! .....which was 40 tags.So for eg there could be a hoggett here that was tagged no 01500 or 01501 that was tagged with new big electronic tags last back end but there is a bag of 40 same new tags here that goes from 01460 to 01499
    Sorry for length of post.....I’m going back and using the tags he skipped to tag anything missing a tag today and will put a note in register for my neighbour that tags were not put in in correct order.But that it was a genuine mistake.
    Shouldn’t that note in register cover my neighbour satisfactorily if he ever had an inspection?

Thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Head a bit melted here lads,helping a neighbour that’s getting on here dosing and retagging any ewes or hoggetts missing tags,he has around 30 ewes with lambs,50 or 60 hoggetts,which are made up of his ewe lambs kept from last year and remainder he bought iykwim.
    Dosing was grand but retagging proving hard to do as the man I’m helping usually gets another man to tag and dose for him but he’s not around this week to help him.
    From what I can see the other man tagging made a mistake and tagged the hoggetts that were born on farm as lambs last year with wrong bag of tags from tag supplier....he skipped a full bag of them! .....which was 40 tags.So for eg there could be a hoggett here that was tagged no 01500 or 01501 that was tagged with new big electronic tags last back end but there is a bag of 40 same new tags here that goes from 01460 to 01499
    Sorry for length of post.....I’m going back and using the tags he skipped to tag anything missing a tag today and will put a note in register for my neighbour that tags were not put in in correct order.But that it was a genuine mistake.
    Shouldn’t that note in register cover my neighbour satisfactorily if he ever had an inspection?

Thanks for any replies.

It’s no big issue at all. They will all end up being accounted for anyhow through sales or deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Thanks for any replies.
    Didn’t think it made a difference as long as the correct numbers were put in the flock register I’m sure you can go back and use the earlier tags. Oul fella has a habit of putting leftover tags in a box some could be 1000 behind the most recent number. I just used them on lambs going to factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

We have a go of the old white ones here that will never be used.
    My ould lad hates throwing stuff away so I wont get away with throwing them out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thefareast

Thanks for any replies.
    It makes no difference, mine are all over the place and when I had an inspection, he was getting upset that the tags weren't all nice and linear, I just shrugged and said when I tag them I just grab whatever tags are nearest me which was the truth and he left it at that. As long as the tags match what's in the register it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

How long does it take for Albee 10% to clear worms?

Thanks for replies lads,was a bit worried regarding fact wrong sequence going into neighbours Register.
    He gets his tags from Agritags Monaghan.....noticed in bottom of his tags box...(big old box with all lumped into it) that he had around 30 of the smaller electronic tags in it.....he said they were the EID tags he would of used up to this year but that he thought they could not be used now.
    I only saw them when I was finished up tagging.....can he use these up say on his ram lambs going to mart?
    I don’t use Agritags stuff.....these are smaller yellow tag sets than the ones I was putting in yday which were big yellow tag sets.....but they have both an electronic and ordinary tag in the set iykwim.
    Ye will be killed reading my essays:)......none of the tags are those narrow strip sets....all the wide easy to read type.
    Would they be ok for him to use up?

MIKEKC wrote: »
    How long does it take for Albee 10% to clear worms?

A week, you're supposed to test a week after dosing if you want to test if the dose was effective

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

A week, you're supposed to test a week after dosing if you want to test if the dose was effective

Thanks. I made a mistake in spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Thanks for any replies.

Don't think the order of tags really matter. More important that they actually have tags

Grass is tight here. Anyone reccomend anything to supplement ewes?.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Grass is tight here. Anyone reccomend anything to supplement ewes?.

One of the ewe rations if they're milking, 18% protein.
    Are you feeding the lambs, I'd be more concerned about them

One of the ewe rations if they're milking, 18% protein.
    Are you feeding the lambs, I'd be more concerned about them

Creeping the lambs ad lib and the ewes get 500g of lamb & hogget finisher every evening. I thought might be a bit better than ewe & lamb. Would beet pulp be any addition?

• Advertisement

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Creeping the lambs ad lib and the ewes get 500g of lamb & hogget finisher every evening. I thought might be a bit better than ewe & lamb. Would beet pulp be any addition?

if you are trying to get the ewes to up milk output I would think a good ewe and lamb nut would be best option.

Advertisement