Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,177 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Creeping the lambs ad lib and the ewes get 500g of lamb & hogget finisher every evening. I thought might be a bit better than ewe & lamb. Would beet pulp be any addition?

Are the lambs march born.
    If they are, there's not much more you can do until the grass grows .
    Ewes will be milking less and lambs will be eating more creep from now on.
    If they're april born you'd be trying to keep the ewes milking and be using a ewe ration.
    It goes without saying that you wouldn't need any of that if grass was growing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

What are peoples thoughts on texel x ewes? Bought a ram off a neighbour 2 years ago and kept 30 ewe lambs from him which will be going to the ram for the first time this autumn. Was talking to him the other day and he told me that he kept 10 from the same ram and they lambed this year for him, he said theu were the worst ewes he had on the farm, very bad mothers and that he kept them from the best ewes he had on the farm. I checked the stars on this ram and he's 1 star maternal. Would I be best to sell these Hoggets and replace them with a more maternal type such as lleyn or belclare.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

DJ98 wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on texel x ewes? Bought a ram off a neighbour 2 years ago and kept 30 ewe lambs from him which will be going to the ram for the first time this autumn. Was talking to him the other day and he told me that he kept 10 from the same ram and they lambed this year for him, he said theu were the worst ewes he had on the farm, very bad mothers and that he kept them from the best ewes he had on the farm. I checked the stars on this ram and he's 1 star maternal. Would I be best to sell these Hoggets and replace them with a more maternal type such as lleyn or belclare.

I’d chance them . They deserve one chance anyways at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I was talking to a guy today after his discussion group meeting on Zoom. It wasn't very hopeful, tbh.

They were told to sell as much as they can as early as they can and to cut right back on creep for the lambs.
    Concentrate on grass for the ewes and lambs.
    Cancel any capital spending and ride out the storm.

The reckoning is with restaurants and hotels closed, there will be little demand for the expensive cuts which will have to be sold at a reduced rate and bring down the price of cheaper cuts as well.

And budget for 3.50/kg by mid to late summer. Any more than that and look at it as a bonus. Not pretty reading and hopefully won't come to that but it might be well to keep it in mind all the same.

I was talking to a guy today after his discussion group meeting on Zoom. It wasn't very hopeful, tbh.

They were told to sell as much as they can as early as they can and to cut right back on creep for the lambs.

The reckoning is with restaurants and hotels closed, there will be little demand for the expensive cuts which will have to be sold at a reduced rate and bring down the price of cheaper cuts as well.

And budget for 3.50/kg by mid to late summer. Any more than that and look at it as a bonus. Not pretty reading and hopefully won't come to that but it might be well to keep it in mind all the same.

Time to pull plug on feeding,and aim for selling.next jan/feb??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Not sure I agree with that.
    People working from home have much more disposable income at the moment and with all restaurants closed there will be more family dinners at the weekends so more roasts.

Mmm would love to be cutting into a bit of roast lamb yummy

ganmo wrote: »
    People working from home have much more disposable income at the moment and with all restaurants closed there will be more family dinners at the weekends so more roasts.

I hope you're right. You'd imagine that people would still be eating the same amount of food wherever it came from but that doesn't seem to be happening.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I hope you're right. You'd imagine that people would still be eating the same amount of food wherever it came from but that doesn't seem to be happening.

I had the same thought when I read that the closure of restaurants would reduce demand. I understand that people may not buy the expensive cuts in a supermarket that they might order in a restaurant, but overall they'll have to eat the same amount - wherever it comes from.

Is there more waste in the "food service outlets" compared to supermarkets and butchers? And reducing that waste means less demand overall?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

ganmo wrote: »

Dont know what to expect, as it always does the opposite to what you think. Supermarket trade has be booming atm and everyone cooking from home. In my house , we're on the same tank of diesal in the family car for the last few months, no bus or car parking to be paid. Dont mind spending the extra on groceries atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

Dont know what to expect, as it always does the opposite to what you think. Supermarket trade has be booming atm and everyone cooking from home. In my house , we're on the same tank of diesal in the family car for the last few months, no bus or car parking to be paid. Dont mind spending the extra on groceries atm.

Same here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

I would think the factories will definitely use this as an excuse to pull their prices. It won't matter what the demand for lamb is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Credit due to the independent butchers and small shops for selling at realistic prices.

Local family run grocery selling trays of chops for 3 euro, or 4 trays for a tenner.

I Guess they aren't over big but at least the customer is getting value.

Lads have a mineral dose here that is past its expiry date by 10 months . Would it still be okay to give to lambs this week or is it a waste of time ?

Minerals will be ok, vitamins will be gone out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I'm hearing some mixed reviews about how fit sheep are for shearing, has anyone sheared yet, how were they.

I have a group of dry hoggets to shear would they be fit sooner or later ??

Planning the last weekend of this month , opinions ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

roosky wrote: »
    I'm hearing some mixed reviews about how fit sheep are for shearing, has anyone sheared yet, how were they.

I have a group of dry hoggets to shear would they be fit sooner or later ??

Planning the last weekend of this month , opinions ??

Sheared here almost 3 weeks back.. All dry hoggets but in great condition.

hoggets and dry ewes shorn here too.
    Only one was hard shorn and she had lost her lambs so understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Tileman

You might remember that I had a ewe lambed on the first of November last year which was her second time lambing last years . She also had a lamb back in March. Well I had her and her lamb with a ram with a sore foot all winter getting a few nuts and 6 months later she had another two lambs this morning.

So she has lamb es 3 times in 14 months. Great ewe

Hadn’t even weaned her old lamb off her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Tileman wrote: »
    You might remember that I had a ewe lambed on the first of November last year which was her second time lambing last years . She also had a lamb back in March. Well I had her and her lamb with a ram with a sore foot all winter getting a few nuts and 6 months later she had another two lambs this morning.

Shes a keeper anyway.

Now that's a good foundation ewe for a no sponge early lambing flock:)

• Advertisement

I have a few dung samples off lambs today around dinner time was thinking of sending them to lab in morning? Would they still get an accurate result or is it too late ?

Young95 wrote: »
    I have a few dung samples off lambs today around dinner time was thinking of sending them to lab in morning? Would they still get an accurate result or is it too late ?

Probably won't be right, it'll be in the post three days till monday.
    To do it right, take marble size samples from ten lambs early in the week, get it in the post the same day so the lab has it the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

many people getting maggots ? had 3 ewes with maggots so far, my shearer cant come til week after next. bought dip today when i have them in next i will spray a bit on them with knpsack might keep flies off. anyone doing thier lambs with clickzin yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Keep a ram with her at all times ha ha what breed is she btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Tileman

Keep a ram with her at all times ha ha what breed is she btw

Lleyn x Texal but obviously a bit of belclare in her blood lines. Bought in a bunch of them as ewe lambs a few years ago.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    many people getting maggots ? had 3 ewes with maggots so far, my shearer cant come til week after next. bought dip today when i have them in next i will spray a bit on them with knpsack might keep flies off. anyone doing thier lambs with clickzin yet?

Check the label, some dips say not to handle for a while after dipping.

How are lads finding it as a year so far for lambs with worms ?? I’ve after walking a field there with 200 plus lambs in it and no lambs are dirty and all seem to be thriving. All end of March early April born and still haven’t been dosed ? The odd pot belly one who’s obviously not getting a good due of milk but nothing dirty ! Just said I’d ask how are others getting on ? Low stocking rate ground also .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

How are lads finding it as a year so far for lambs with worms ?? I’ve after walking a field there with 200 plus lambs in it and no lambs are dirty and all seem to be thriving. All end of March early April born and still haven’t been dosed ? The odd pot belly one who’s obviously not getting a good due of milk but nothing dirty ! Just said I’d ask how are others getting on ? Low stocking rate ground also .

Some of mine are dirty enough tbh. Late February born. Got a 2nd dose of Zerofen today to try and dry them up. Runny backsides they have. Not getting meal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

All that helps - I'm moved away from routine dosing a couple of years ago due to the growing resistance problems with many wormers, I also turn lambs out on our driest field next to the coast here in North Mayo which also has a good cover of natural herbal plants like plaintain, yarrow etc. which naturally suppress worm burdens in stock.

• Advertisement

Sami23 wrote: »
    Some of mine are dirty enough tbh. Late February born. Got a 2nd dose of Zerofen today to try and dry them up. Runny backsides they have. Not getting meal

It could be coccidiocis if the first worm dose didn't stop them scouring, were they scouring when you first dosed them, how long are they dosed

Advertisement