Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

roosky wrote: »
    I'm hearing some mixed reviews about how fit sheep are for shearing, has anyone sheared yet, how were they.

I have a group of dry hoggets to shear would they be fit sooner or later ??

Planning the last weekend of this month , opinions ??

shearing the past fortnight well done dry hoggets mostly ok
    but ewes very variable febuary lambed crossbreds just ok
    but texels suffolks and esp lleyns very sticky
    mules are easy

wouldn't face into april lambed ewes for a few weeks yet and if they are on tight grazing probably a month.

there are a lot of sheep shorn over here in the west it is not going to be pretty when they are riddled with maggots in july

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    mules are easy

wouldn't face into april lambed ewes for a few weeks yet and if they are on tight grazing probably a month.

there are a lot of sheep shorn over here in the west it is not going to be pretty when they are riddled with maggots in july

Sheared here but will click soon, does everyone not click them? Dipping doesn't last too long so I winter dip before or after breeding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

wrangler wrote: »
    It could be coccidiocis if the first worm dose didn't stop them scouring, were they scouring when you first dosed them, how long are they dosed

Dosed about 5 weeks and no they weren't too bad prior to first dose. About 10 dirty out of 50 lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,177 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sami23 wrote: »
    Dosed about 5 weeks and no they weren't too bad prior to first dose. About 10 dirty out of 50 lambs.

Might have dosed before nematodirus was there. hopefully you control them with this dose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i had maggots riddling ewes in october last year and in store lambs. plan this year is shear next week, then 3 weeks later click them or maybe dip in early july then click before breeding. what would u do

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i had maggots riddling ewes in october last year and in store lambs. plan this year is shear next week, then 3 weeks later click them or maybe dip in early july then click before breeding. what would u do

If you shear next week you shouldn't Clik the ewes until you have to.
    If you Clik them end of June they should be alright until end of October, If you even sprayed them with sheep dip end of june and Clik them 12th july to ensure cover right into November. It's better not to be disturbing them during mating
    With the lambs use Clik on the light ones and a short withdrawal product on the heavy lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

If you use clik extra it has a protection period of 19 weeks. So if you clik 3 weeks after shearing next, that’s you covered until end of October

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    mules are easy

You would imagine if they are clean it’s unlikely they would get maggots?....dangerous alright if they are not looked at every few days.

Even putting a good strong knapsack of dip on them a week after shearing when there’s a bit of wool regrowth will keep them alright for up to a fortnight.

You would imagine if they are clean it’s unlikely they would get maggots?....dangerous alright if they are not looked at every few days.

Even putting a good strong knapsack of dip on them a week after shearing when there’s a bit of wool regrowth will keep them alright for up to a fortnight.

tried this over the years dosent work, flies lay in mid way around back and neck on cleanest of sheep 3 weeks after dipping. click is only job here. might shear in 10 days hopefully shearer come then and dip 3-4 weeks later after i wean them . i think i will click them before letting out to ram around mid august

If you use clik extra it has a protection period of 19 weeks. So if you clik 3 weeks after shearing next, that’s you covered until end of October

I've had breakdowns in both products, Clik and Clik Extra, That's the reason I'd only be depending on 16 weeks in Clik Extra. Pain in the a..e chasing maggots during mating
    We clik the ewes now. Lambs never get maggots when they're with Clik'd ewes, Then Clik the lambs after weaning july 1st
    We shear ewes mid august

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

I've had breakdowns in both products, Clik and Clik Extra, That's the reason I'd only be depending on 16 weeks in Clik Extra. Pain in the a..e chasing maggots during mating
    We clik the ewes now. Lambs never get maggots when they're with Clik'd ewes, Then Clik the lambs after weaning july 1st
    We shear ewes mid august

Do many go on there backs with fleeces of wool over the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

tried this over the years dosent work, flies lay in mid way around back and neck on cleanest of sheep 3 weeks after dipping. click is only job here. might shear in 10 days hopefully shearer come then and dip 3-4 weeks later after i wean them . i think i will click them before letting out to ram around mid august

When we had ewes lambing, we always shore them start June and mostly they didnt get any treatment - neither Clik nor dipped. We always found it very rare for the ewes to get maggots.
    Lambs were always clicked all right.

We had a Hampshire ram once, and the lambs were a fcuking disaster for maggots I felt. Had him 2 years and both years had a good few strikes on lambs that had gotten clik.

We only have dry hoggets now, and they don’t get treated. They’ll be shorn sometime around next weekend, sold August timeframe and have never had any with maggots...

We’d have fairly open ground, so I wonder does that play into it?

Do many go on there backs with fleeces of wool over the summer?

They don't, Since breeding LLeyn into the ewes we get very few on their backss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

We shear ewes mid august

Similar here. I cliked alot of the ewes today with clik extra. Shear mid august, after weaning. At that stage I can seperate out all the culls etc and save shearing them.

Hi lads,

Anyone get a small Dept payment on around 18th May.Young lad managed to bin the post letters that day!:(

Not a big amount so wondering what’s it was for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

Hi lads,

Anyone get a small Dept payment on around 18th May.Young lad managed to bin the post letters that day!:(

I think it was Glas balance.

Where are you again Dickie10?

I’m in Leitrim and might be fact we get feck all sun here most Summers:).....(not talking about my own treatment of my own ewes here may I add)
    but in general I find that farmers up here start shearing mid May for early lambed ewes and most men wouldn’t have ewes fit till around a week into June on.So say if they shear on 10th June and put Clik or Clik xtra on them a week later they are covered till tupping time.
    Lot of fellas wouldn’t dream of ‘wasting money’ on likes of Clik and might put throw a knapsack of dip on bunches of ewes from shearing time on if any maggots about when have them in pen.
    As I said far less hot weather around these parts most Summers so maybe we would suffer less with clean ewes getting maggots.
    Personally I only Clik the lambs as all stock are seen on regular basis.
    If I see something with maggots I would Clik the ewes then.

south meath here. I have maggots last year around 20th october. had first case of maggots 2 weeks ago even in that cold weather. I have a dipper myself so i think i will give them a dip at weaning, it dosent do them any harm, i havent dipped them in last two summers so its no harm. but not a hope a dipping in early july would cover them, i will click them around august 1st and that will carry them for 14 -16 weeks getting me to early november and safe then. i will click all store lambs this year too even ones im shearing. i dipped 180 stores on 12th of september last year and was getting lambs with maggots in early october. I would rather spend money on click then be running after sheep and lambs in october when back at work , you couldnt be at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Hi lads,

Received a balancing payment for sheep welfare scheme here last week, Monday I think it was

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

south meath here. I have maggots last year around 20th october. had first case of maggots 2 weeks ago even in that cold weather. I have a dipper myself so i think i will give them a dip at weaning, it dosent do them any harm, i havent dipped them in last two summers so its no harm. but not a hope a dipping in early july would cover them, i will click them around august 1st and that will carry them for 14 -16 weeks getting me to early november and safe then. i will click all store lambs this year too even ones im shearing. i dipped 180 stores on 12th of september last year and was getting lambs with maggots in early october. I would rather spend money on click then be running after sheep and lambs in october when back at work , you couldnt be at that.

would help keep flies off udders too thus reducing mastitis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

How do ye lads find shearing in august? Do they get uncomfortable with the heat in June/July? Would 3 months growth be mouth heading into November or do ye house then?

How do ye lads find shearing in august? Do they get uncomfortable with the heat in June/July? Would 3 months growth be mouth heading into November or do ye house then?

Mine are out all year around. Haven't noticed any issues. I run lleyns, so they aren't the biggest of sheep and getting cast in summer wouldn't be a issue

wouldnt like that idea at all from welfare point of view, ill try and shear around may 20th next year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

August shearing is the job, house more ewes, ill clik them this week, be fine until shearing then,

wouldnt like that idea at all from welfare point of view, ill try and shear around may 20th next year

Welfare,? wool is an insulation, it insulates against cold ......and heat, no welfare problem there.
    When I had 500+ ewes and shearing before weaning I'd have to.get in circa 1300 sheep ....... now that was a farmer welfare problemm :D

Dont know if it was already mentioned, but shearing ewes in august after lambs weaned, is alot easier then rounding them up now, with lambs at foot, bawling at you all day long and lambs getting in the way trying to shear them. Less stressful all around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Random question here but I seem till have 1 paddock less than 2 acres that I believe must have leather jackets (cutworms) anyways I heard the spray for it was taken off the market but people wreckon sheep dip sprayed on late evening or earl early morning will kill them? Any truth in it? What kinda dip? What ratio?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Lambman wrote: »
    Random question here but I seem till have 1 paddock less than 2 acres that I believe must have leather jackets (cutworms) anyways I heard the spray for it was taken off the market but people wreckon sheep dip sprayed on late evening or earl early morning will kill them? Any truth in it? What kinda dip? What ratio?

You'll kill most of the earth worms too which won't do the paddock much good in the medium to long term. Sheep dip is not licensed for use in such a way for good reasons. If the grass is in that poor a condition then your best bet is to reseed it with a more resilient herbal multi-species mix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

It was reseeded 2 years ago and were it is its 3 paddocks deep outta 7 in a straight line ground would get poorer towards far end but paddocks after said 1 are doing alot better that said 1. I'm not decided on what I'm gonna do yet just looking opinions. I tried rolling morning and evening but never seen any dead ones on the ground after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Have you checked any garden centres. I got some before and just spot treated

Advertisement