Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

We just don't have the same size scale as england. Average flock here would be 100 ewes whilst would be 700 across the water

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sandman30

Yeah that’s what we do. Big framed horned ram lambs 30kgs + All indoors on meal ad-lib. They are shorn, dosed, foot bathed and in on slats until they are finished. They are weighed every 10 days and can eat a bale in the yard while they are standing around. That’s the only forage they get. They cost average €62 this year and meal/medical was €29 each. Average price was €127 all sold from January on

Hi Stan,
    Do you bother vaccinating or shearing the lambs on arrival? Is there much bother with pneumonia?
    Is it pellet or coarse ration you prefer to feed them? Do you have any problems with crows or birds eating the ration and dirtying the feed?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

sandman30 wrote: »
    Hi Stan,
    Do you bother vaccinating or shearing the lambs on arrival? Is there much bother with pneumonia?
    Is it pellet or coarse ration you prefer to feed them? Do you have any problems with crows or birds eating the ration and dirtying the feed?
    Thanks.
    The three things that will hinder them are worms, wool and bad feet. They will be shorn, wormed and footbathed twice in the first week. We use a mainly pelleted ration with maize through it. 14% cheap and chirpy. The feeders are covered so no real bother with birds. The shed is very airy with plenty of outlets so pneumonia is generally not a big issue. Lice can be in issue sometimes with sheep together from so many different places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

What time of year do you start buying them lambs for the shed generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

What time of year do you start buying them lambs for the shed generally?

Generally they start coming from October on until February. A man Takes them to the factory and buys them for us. He generally bulk buys them from farmers in the Wild West some from Kerry and Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Any market for ewes with lambs at foot or is it gone too late?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

DJ98 wrote: »
    Any market for ewes with lambs at foot or is it gone too late?

There'll always be someone to buy them but not sure what kinda price you'd get. How old are the lambs?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

There'll always be someone to buy them but not sure what kinda price you'd get. How old are the lambs?

Ranging from 2 weeks upto a couple of days, they were empty ewes that were put back with the ram

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

anyone any ideas on a ewe with no power in her back legs ? down a while now but eating well

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Quick one for ya lads . Have a pet lamb here that is off milk now a good while and is eating meal and grass that seems to be highly constipated the last few days . He’s scouring when he those dung but seems to be in a lot of discomfort when he goes to the toilet. I gave him a dose for worms first as I thought cause of the dung that it could have been that .. but no improvement. Anyone have an other remedies to try or have this problem before?

• Advertisement

Young95 wrote: »
    Quick one for ya lads . Have a pet lamb here that is off milk now a good while and is eating meal and grass that seems to be highly constipated the last few days . He’s scouring when he those dung but seems to be in a lot of discomfort when he goes to the toilet. I gave him a dose for worms first as I thought cause of the dung that it could have been that .. but no improvement. Anyone have an other remedies to try or have this problem before?

I had a pet lamb here, thrown down the other day. Following morning he looked as if he scoured himself badly, turns out he had a bad dose of maggots. His only born april. Never seen them attack something that young before

• Registered Users Posts: 11,177 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A dose of liquid parafin might help.
    If he's straining could it be coccidiosis.
    Is he getting enough water, is it clean , we clean the water troughs regular as birds drown in them in droughts like now.
    Sheep are supposed to be particular about what they drink,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Strange request lads... My little lad had his first pet lamb this year and is gone mad on the sheep. Its his birthday this month and he wants a black lamb. Would anyone have one for sale?. Ewe lamb if possible.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Strange request lads... My little lad had his first pet lamb this year and is gone mad on the sheep. Its his birthday this month and he wants a black lamb. Would anyone have one for sale?. Ewe lamb if possible.

Have 2 black lambs here and I think both might be ewes. Are you any where near the south east of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

The neighbour has a couple, there is bound to be a ewe amongst them. In Galway if it’s any help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Have 2 black lambs here and I think both might be ewes. Are you any where near the south east of the country?

im in Kildare but do be travelling with work.

im in Kildare but do be travelling with work.

No bother. Let me know sure if you’re down this way any time in the coming weeks

Lads advice needed . Have a fine big lamb here say 7 weeks old that I found under a tree sitting down shivering and breathing fast and drewling but can get up and walk . I brought him inside and gave him 5ml of synolox. Anything else ? I presume it’s pneumonia with the sharp temperature drop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,177 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lads advice needed . Have a fine big lamb here say 7 weeks old that I found under a tree sitting down shivering and breathing fast and drewling but can get up and walk . I brought him inside and gave him 5ml of synolox. Anything else ? I presume it’s pneumonia with the sharp temperature drop ?

5ml is a lot for a lamb, is that what's recommended on the bottle.
    He'll need to be injected daily for four days, but check if 5ml is the right dose though
    We don't use it here as it's not licensed for sheep. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Sounds like a classic case of coccidiosis. Get him sorted lively of the guts will be destroyed on him

• Advertisement

razor8 wrote: »
    Sounds like a classic case of coccidiosis. Get him sorted lively of the guts will be destroyed on him

What can I give him ? Hardly worth buy bottle of vexcocin ? Stuff is expensive

wrangler wrote: »
    5ml is a lot for a lamb, is that what's recommended on the bottle.
    He'll need to be injected daily for four days, but check if 5ml is the right dose though
    We don't use it here as it's not licensed for sheep. :eek:

Rang vet he said it’s fine

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭rule supreme

What can I give him ? Hardly worth buy bottle of vexcocin ? Stuff is expensive

You might have more lambs affected so would be worth getting . We used Bovicox for some earlier this year and it worked great .

You might have more lambs affected so would be worth getting . We used Bovicox for some earlier this year and it worked great .

Got a bottle of coxx Kure and gave him some there so hopefully it’ll work .

Has anyone sold march born lambs yet, looking at a few single Suffolk lambs here that may be ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Hi all,
    lambs born here from around March 15th to April 5th....so spread of lambs weights from say 25kg for best singles to 15kg for smaller twins. Usually sell lambs as forward stores from 3rd week of July on.
    Actually forget from last year but would I need to be putting Clik on them soon or are they safe enough yet?....was through them yday and all clean of their ends etc, as got first worm dose a while back.Think I used the longer lasting Clik last year but don't see where I noted it in Farm diary.

im clicking my lambs this week as its giving "maggotty " weather from wednesday, warm, wet and clammy at weekend. im giving everything clickzin. even lambs 40 kg

is it just me or are some areas more prone to maggots than others?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    . im giving everything clickzin. even lambs 40 kg

Your doing the right thing. If for nothing else then piece of mind . Nothing worse then a lamb getting struck the day before due to go to factory

• Advertisement

Cliken lambs tomorrow but rain coming Wednesday supposedly. Would 24 hours be enough time or would the rain wash it off ?

Advertisement