Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Young95 wrote: »
    Cliken lambs tomorrow but rain coming Wednesday supposedly. Would 24 hours be enough time or would the rain wash it off ?

Afaik, as long as it theres no very heavy rain within a few hours of putting it on, it's meant to be ok. Alternatively if you've doubts, wait until the day after rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,177 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Young95 wrote: »
    Cliken lambs tomorrow but rain coming Wednesday supposedly. Would 24 hours be enough time or would the rain wash it off ?

Clik is rain fast very quick, within an hour even..

If you like, you can send some of the rain down my way. None on the horizon unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

What type creep feeders do yas find the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

wrangler wrote: »
    Clik is rain fast very quick, within an hour even..

I clicked mine in the hot weather recently and am thinking was it too warm to have an effect?

• Advertisement

kk.man wrote: »
    I clicked mine in the hot weather recently and am thinking was it too warm to have an effect?

Did the same here. Could still see the colour of clik on their backs a week or two later, but looked them yesterday and noticed none were struck, so must be working

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

plenty of rain coming from tomorrow, no drought in 10 days id say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Jjameson wrote: »
    Is the wool getting anything? Should we be delivering it on grounds of principle?

Is there anyone actually offering a price?
    What I've heard is that no wool has being shipped to china since march
    The British wool board haven't sold any since then https://www.britishwool.org.uk/price-indicator.
    So if you're looking to dispose of the wool I'd say deliver away, but if you're looking for any kind of payment I'd suggest hold onto it

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Dickie10 wrote: »
    im clicking my lambs this week as its giving "maggotty " weather from wednesday, warm, wet and clammy at weekend. im giving everything clickzin. even lambs 40 kg
    Are you mad clikking 40kg lambs!! They will be fit in 10 days. You will have to wait a over a month if you clik them and price will be €5 max. We send 42 and 43kg lambs last week and they all killed out 20 kg.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Are you mad clikking 40kg lambs!! They will be fit in 10 days. You will have to wait a over a month if you clik them and price will be €5 max. We send 42 and 43kg lambs last week and they all killed out 20 kg.

19kg on the hook now is better than 21kg in a month - move them early.

10-June: 5.90 @ 19kg = 112

10-July: 5.40 @ 21kg = 113

And you save a month of meal, grass, lameness, maggots, etc.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thefareast

ganmo wrote: »
    Is there anyone actually offering a price?
    What I've heard is that no wool has being shipped to china since march
    The British wool board haven't sold any since then https://www.britishwool.org.uk/price-indicator.
    So if you're looking to dispose of the wool I'd say deliver away, but if you're looking for any kind of payment I'd suggest hold onto it
    Got 15c a kilo, apparently lucky to get that. Had 700kg of it, I just wanted rid of it.
    Clikzin has a 7 day withdrawal which they said they are using.

thefareast wrote: »
    Got 15c a kilo, apparently lucky to get that. Had 700kg of it, I just wanted rid of it.

Can see easycare and exlana becoming more popular if the wool trade stays like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Can see easycare and exlana becoming more popular if the wool trade stays like this.

I know a few lads that have tried the easy care, the only problem is that they need to be bred pure to be completely wool shedding...and a sheep that has to be shorn for a half fleece is a waste of time too

roosky wrote: »
    I know a few lads that have tried the easy care, the only problem is that they need to be bred pure to be completely wool shedding...and a sheep that has to be shorn for a half fleece is a waste of time too

Ive started experimenting with them here, to see if their any good. Hoping to get a high percentage of shedding from first cross put over clean bellied lleyns.

roosky wrote: »

Would it not be wicked messy though?

Id hate to be going out in field,looking sheep missing half wool.and bits of wool all over the place,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

First time in here on 4 days I had a bitta reading till do but I'd a looked stupid posting 4 days ago if I'd a said its 2 early for maggots up here. Clipped 3 bits a little today and see maggots in the 3 places only 2 ewes outta 76 in th 1st place and 1 each in 2nd places. Mostly was on wool bar 1 horned ewe that was taken till the fields for 1 reason or another and looked like she got caught in front a back leg somewhere and that's were they started and there were enough till do damage in a short space a time. What's the craic with tests on worms etc? Anybody seeing much difference? Clipped for a man today who always has lovely brutes a Suffolk ewes which are usually great till clip bar the sghitty back ends but I never see his sheep as clean ever. Lambs in the country look very clean also.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Lambman wrote: »
    First time in here on 4 days I had a bitta reading till do but I'd a looked stupid posting 4 days ago if I'd a said its 2 early for maggots up here. Clipped 3 bits a little today and see maggots in the 3 places only 2 ewes outta 76 in th 1st place and 1 each in 2nd places. Mostly was on wool bar 1 horned ewe that was taken till the fields for 1 reason or another and looked like she got caught in front a back leg somewhere and that's were they started and there were enough till do damage in a short space a time. What's the craic with tests on worms etc? Anybody seeing much difference? Clipped for a man today who always has lovely brutes a Suffolk ewes which are usually great till clip bar the sghitty back ends but I never see his sheep as clean ever. Lambs in the country look very clean also.

There hasn’t been any rain for worms to hatch as it’s been to dry . Could be a spike once rain hits tho

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

When could you send lambs that got a half rate of Clik Extra? Is the withdrawal still 40 days?

When could you send lambs that got a half rate of Clik Extra? Is the withdrawal still 40 days?

Id assume it is,still.same withdrawl....the ingredents are still same??

Id assume it is,still.same withdrawl....the ingredents are still same??

Your right I'd say, shouldn't have done the buggers done a great thrive recently and are mad fit to go, oh well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,177 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Your right I'd say, shouldn't have done the buggers done a great thrive recently and are mad fit to go, oh well

Clik is four times the strength of Clikzin so even at half rate it's still very strong.
    Some people use clik diluted at 4 parts water -1 part of Clik instead of clikzin and it's much cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Clik is four times the strength of Clikzin so even at half rate it's still very strong.
    Some people use clik diluted at 4 parts water -1 part of Clik instead of clikzin and it's much cheaper

To dilute to 1/4 strength it should be 1 part clik to 3 parts water for a total of 4 parts. That would give the same concentration of active as clikzin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

To dilute to 1/4 strength it should be 1 part clik to 3 parts water for a total of 4 parts. That would give the same concentration of active as clikzin.

so what's the withdrawal period then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

orm0nd wrote: »
    so what's the withdrawal period then?

You can only go by what's on the label

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

you cant dilute click its like diluting oil and water, its oil based product so it wont mix together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Have a lamb there with a broken back leg at hip big frame off lamb not heavy or fat what's best thing till do with it? Still on ewe and dosed today.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    you cant dilute click its like diluting oil and water, its oil based product so it wont mix together.

Works for me, helps it get through the gun; no watery or thick stuff all consistent

I diluted by half, would it shorten the withdrawal period does anyone know?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Once you go outside of recommended practice you're on your own. Other than the question of does it work diluted, the only other consideration is the withdrawal time to apply. You'd have to assume it was the time of the undiluted product as if the discussion comes up in a serious situation you 're wrong otherwise, plain and simple.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Why go to the bother of diluting it!! If it was meant to be diluted it would come diluted. How is it expected to work when it’s only 1/3 or 1/4 strength!! I doubt if the withdrawal period would change as it still has the same active ingredients. Either apply it properly and protect your animals or don’t buy it and hope they don’t get struck. It’s the same as lads spraying dip over sheep with a knapsack. Amateur stuff lads. Just wasting money. Penny wise and pound foolish. Busy fools!!

Advertisement