Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,177 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Why go to the bother of diluting it!! If it was meant to be diluted it would come diluted. How is it expected to work when it’s only 1/3 or 1/4 strength!! I doubt if the withdrawal period would change as it still has the same active ingredients. Either apply it properly and protect your animals or don’t buy it and hope they don’t get struck. It’s the same as lads spraying dip over sheep with a knapsack. Amateur stuff lads. Just wasting money. Penny wise and pound foolish. Busy fools!!

You can't blame lads though, Clik are selling 1/4 strength product for circa €200 which is 75% of the price of full strength €265 ......

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

wrangler wrote: »
    You can't blame lads though, Clik are selling 1/4 strength product for circa €200 which is 75% of the price of full strength €265 ......

I take your point price wise it’s disgraceful. But you’re changing a product from its intended condition and expecting it to work work the same to try save money. Personally I think dipping should be made mandatory again and do away with all these pour-ons. No need to put in your own tub. There are plenty of mobile dippers going around. Fellas with small flocks could pool together and organise to get sheep dipped the same day. A neighbour who never dipped in his life got one in. I never seen his sheep look as well over winter. It cleaned them up lovely. Nice thick clean wool and no more scratching on fences and gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Good idea. Wouldn't go messing with it for lambs going to the factory, but cannt see what harm it would do using it on ewes that are staying around the farm. lads on another forum say cliks patent is meant to expire at the end of year, so hopefully price drops and competition next year .

I take your point price wise it’s disgraceful. But you’re changing a product from its intended condition and expecting it to work work the same to try save money. Personally I think dipping should be made mandatory again and do away with all these pour-ons. No need to put in your own tub. There are plenty of mobile dippers going around. Fellas with small flocks could pool together and organise to get sheep dipped the same day. A neighbour who never dipped in his life got one in. I never seen his sheep look as well over winter. It cleaned them up lovely. Nice thick clean wool and no more scratching on fences and gates.

We always dip here for scab prevention but it barely lasts to the end of withdrawal period for maggots, but a lot seem to ignore that little problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Why go to the bother of diluting it!! If it was meant to be diluted it would come diluted. How is it expected to work when it’s only 1/3 or 1/4 strength!! I doubt if the withdrawal period would change as it still has the same active ingredients. Either apply it properly and protect your animals or don’t buy it and hope they don’t get struck. It’s the same as lads spraying dip over sheep with a knapsack. Amateur stuff lads. Just wasting money. Penny wise and pound foolish. Busy fools!!

Clik or clickZin always diluted by half here and never had a case of maggots in sheep or lambs that's good enough for me.
    so your answer would be to dip twice over the summer to get twelve weeks coverror at a euro a go? Busy fools indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Clik or clickZin always diluted by half here and never had a case of maggots in sheep or lambs that's good enough for me.
    so your answer would be to dip twice over the summer to get twelve weeks coverror at a euro a go? Busy fools indeed

Well I did a little experiment last year. Home sheep were dipped in July. Less than 300 On a rented farm got undiluted clik extra the same time. I had some horrid cases of maggots in September with the cliked ones and the dipped ones were clean as a whistle the whole year. But if watery clik works for you and you saved a few quid work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Well I did a little experiment last year. Home sheep were dipped in July. Less than 300 On a rented farm got undiluted clik extra the same time. I had some horrid cases of maggots in September with the cliked ones and the dipped ones were clean as a whistle the whole year. But if watery clik works for you and you saved a few quid work away.

Wouldn't like to wait to July to protect sheep, a lot of cases around in may this year.
    You must have missed a few so, throw in some water next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thefareast

Good idea. Wouldn't go messing with it for lambs going to the factory, but cannt see what harm it would do using it on ewes that are staying around the farm. lads on another forum say cliks patent is meant to expire at the end of year, so hopefully price drops and competition next year .
    I think it might have already expired, it would be nice to see something cheaper coming along.

https://patents.google.com/patent/EP1007516B1/en

Would the 1 dipping do for the whole year??

.....its years since mobile dippers were about my area,as sheep are rare enough lowland here nowadays

In terms of conversation here,use ectofly,cant fault it tbf,though its lowland ewes here and rare,if never get maggots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Fair enough, but they cant be expecting the withdrawal period to change on the product just by watering it down, or the two to mix perfectly, or even reasonably well. Thats crazy stuff, not to mention dangerous to people.
    If people want to chance it on animals that arent going to the factory then that is their business. Personally, i dont see it any different to watering down your fluke dose.

On the topic of dipping. Doesnt last as long as clik or anywhere near to my mind. Still the best treatment for itching etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i found dipping didnt work well at all on my store lambs last year, i dipped on 21 september with Hygia winter dip and had maggots mid october. very disaponted. im going to shear some this year and the others i will click

Fair enough, but they cant be expecting the withdrawal period to change on the product just by watering it down, or the two to mix perfectly, or even reasonably well. Thats crazy stuff, not to mention dangerous to people.
    If people want to chance it on animals that arent going to the factory then that is their business. Personally, i dont see it any different to watering down your fluke dose.

On the topic of dipping. Doesnt last as long as clik or anywhere near to my mind. Still the best treatment for itching etc

Clik moves through the wool itself so mixing wouldn't have to be perfect.`Ectofly doesn't spread so application has to be right
    If you're putting on the same amount of active ingredient per lamb as Clikzin and you want a months cover, it's not the same as watering down a fluke dose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i found dipping didnt work well at all on my store lambs last year, i dipped on 21 september with Hygia winter dip and had maggots mid october. very disaponted. im going to shear some this year and the others i will click

Dipping only job for scab and lice and ticks, clik for maggotts

Clik moves through the wool itself so mixing wouldn't have to be perfect.`Ectofly doesn't spread so application has to be right
    If you're putting on the same amount of active ingredient per lamb as Clikzin and you want a months cover, it's not the same as watering down a fluke dose

That is assuming it mixes perfectly with the water and stays that way. In reality, most of the water will settle towards the bottom after a few minutes, and the next 20 doses are clik coloured water.
    Well if you got a fluke dose of higher concentrate and watered it down to the rate of lower concentrate then it would be the same. And unless you were mixing each dose individually, it would have the same downsides

I think most dips dont treat ticks at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Is there much scab around these days? We haven't dipped in nearly 20 years now but we have a closed flock bar rams purchased at the owners yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Mayo are magic. Cyberguard does and it's back in market this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Have a shed here that is a concrete floor in it that’s width is 25foot by 42 foot in length. Just wondering how many ewes I’d comfortably fit in it ? They’d be left run loose in the whole shed and probably just leave a round feeder in it .

Young95 wrote: »
    Have a shed here that is a concrete floor in it that’s width is 25foot by 42 foot in length. Just wondering how many ewes I’d comfortably fit in it ? They’d be left run loose in the whole shed and probably just leave a round feeder in it .

About 12sq ft per average sized ewe so 80

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

ganmo wrote: »
    Culling the ewes that have prolapsed is more important than culling the daughters.

bumping this subject up from april.

just had last ewe lamb this week she had been scanned empty but had a bag by the time fluke withdrawal was up.....200 ewes only 2 prolapses......

what's the chances?

the only two ewes that were not bred on this farm

and the only two that I know their mother prolapsed.....

neither had big lambs and neither will be here after weaning.....

I will however keep the one ewe lamb just to see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Do people use clik and clikzin to treat lambs that are different weights because of withdrawals or do you just not treat heavier lambs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

DJ98 wrote: »
    Do people use clik and clikzin to treat lambs that are different weights because of withdrawals or do you just not treat heavier lambs?

I put clik on the lighter ones alright, have it spare

Looking to buy a new ram soon . My ewe type is predominantly llynn ewes and arnt the biggest ewes either .but are very prolific. Want a terminal ram to produce a factory lamb. End of March lambing flock with outdoor lambing taking place . What breed of ram have yous found the best on llynn ewes to produce factory lambs ? Have used beltex before but lambs are too short from the llynn side also .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

Looking to buy a new ram soon . My ewe type is predominantly llynn ewes and arnt the biggest ewes either .but are very prolific. Want a terminal ram to produce a factory ram . End of March lambing flock with outdoor lambing taking place . What breed of ram have yous found the best on llynn ewes to produce factory lambs ? Have used beltex before but lambs are too short from the llynn side also .

Find Charollais works very well with lleyn type ewe

Looking to buy a new ram soon . My ewe type is predominantly llynn ewes and arnt the biggest ewes either .but are very prolific. Want a terminal ram to produce a factory ram . End of March lambing flock with outdoor lambing taking place . What breed of ram have yous found the best on llynn ewes to produce factory lambs ? Have used beltex before but lambs are too short from the llynn side also .

you wont go to far wrong with a Hampshire Down ram, there very good on Llyenn ewes. the benefits i find are; - easy lambed, quick to get up and suck, good wool cover for outside lambing, quick to fatten and weigh on just grass, fatten easy in shoulders of year as stores in january/februaruy or october plus very good to use on ewe lambs i use them on my ewe lambs every year.

Cran wrote: »

Have a Charollais here at moment but lambs can be abit bald at birth . Great to get up and suck tho !

i see an estate in England getting rid of the last of the ewes and lambs on thier lands , anecdotely im seeing and hearing a lot of sheep farms in England culling flocks heavily. Has to be good news for irish farmers you would imagine. Its obviously for the no deal Brexit coming down the track in October. there will be no market for British lamb on the continent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Cran wrote: »

Would agree with that. Have some Llyen-x ewes here that wouldn’t be the biggest and Charollais rams do the business

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

you wont go to far wrong with a Hampshire Down ram, there very good on Llyenn ewes. the benefits i find are; - easy lambed, quick to get up and suck, good wool cover for outside lambing, quick to fatten and weigh on just grass, fatten easy in shoulders of year as stores in january/februaruy or october plus very good to use on ewe lambs i use them on my ewe lambs every year.

Yes Id consider a Hampshire. Had a Dorset here before and they were great sheep !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

i see an estate in England getting rid of the last of the ewes and lambs on thier lands , anecdotely im seeing and hearing a lot of sheep farms in England culling flocks heavily. Has to be good news for irish farmers you would imagine. Its obviously for the no deal Brexit coming down the track in October. there will be no market for British lamb on the continent.

And the EU are trying to increase the NZ lamb access to Europe, even though they aren't filling their quota atm, iirc.

It does look more promising for sheep in the short term though.

Advertisement