Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Could anyone put a value on used sheep wire? I'm taking down all the sheep wire in paddocks and rolling it up. It's all in good condition and is tornado wire. Some of it is only 2/3 years old. Other stuff is 15 to 20 years old. It would be a shame to scrap it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,177 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Could anyone put a value on used sheep wire? I'm taking down all the sheep wire in paddocks and rolling it up. It's all in good condition and is tornado wire. Some of it is only 2/3 years old. Other stuff is 15 to 20 years old. It would be a shame to scrap it.

I sold mine for half new price, plenty of demand out there then.
    .I probably didn't ask enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

wrangler wrote: »
    I sold mine for half new price, plenty of demand out there then.
    .I probably didn't ask enough

I was buying some rolls of used HT wire last year and he was looking for half price on it as well. He decided not to sell it in the end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

I have some store lambs on some short term grazing away from the farm, a man wanted his reseed grazed, probably be there for the month. Do I notify the department of this? Also I have started renting land for the ewes they'll be on this ground most of the year. No maps. Same story just inform the department? Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

davidk1394 wrote: »

Is it in the way? Could you not leave it in place in case you change your mind?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Wondering have any a you lads any ideas on what u could use as a sheep footbaths. Have 2 4ft JFC ones here but wanted till make it longer but dont want till buy 2 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

Lambman wrote: »
    Wondering have any a you lads any ideas on what u could use as a sheep footbaths. Have 2 4ft JFC ones here but wanted till make it longer but dont want till buy 2 more.
    That must take you a while Lambman?

I have a 8ft jfc one and I expanded it by linking it to a foxes 8ft galvanised one a couple of years later. It's a grand job. I suppose to upgrade you need to build a concrete square one all inside a shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

If you wanted a permanent job I’d just make a concrete one. A few bags of cement, few 4x2s you’d do it in a few hrs

Not permanent job want till be able take them with me till different fields. Ended up buying 2 more 8ft long 18" wide 7.5" deep €120. Honestly dont know why JFC make them 3ft wide anyways? 18" loads IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Not permanent job want till be able take them with me till different fields. Ended up buying 2 more 8ft long 18" wide 7.5" deep €120. Honestly dont know why JFC make them 3ft wide anyways? 18" loads IMO.

Where did you buy?

• Advertisement

Where did you buy?

I always found the eighteen inch race very difficult to footbath in, the young lambs where forever turning and coming back, The footbath I have now is three foot wide and the lambs are much happier when the ewe is beside them going up the footbath.
    My eighteen inch footbaths are either thrown in the ditch or has flowers in them

If there ran in tight enough in the 18" cant see anything turning till be honest. Ewes and all would be turning in the 3ft ones which would just be pure hardship. Bought from groveagri pm your number I can WhatsApp a picture.

Edit... ewes will run through 1st wile were weighing lambs so will be on the far side off the race so hopefully lambs wont be turning.

If there ran in tight enough in the 18" cant see anything turning till be honest. Ewes and all would be turning in the 3ft ones which would just be pure hardship. Bought from groveagri pm your number I can WhatsApp a picture.

Ewes are used to footbathing, they never turn and come back in the three foot bath, they know they're on the way out and the lambs are reassured then beside them ........ it's all phsycology then :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

I have two 8ft jfc, going to get another few to suit my long race, find them good as you don't have to mix too much if your doing a smaller batch or you can throw them out if not needed. One day of hassle in the year alright with young lambs

Do you not find it pointless foot bathing in fields. Would the solution even be left on their feet after 2 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Do you not find it pointless foot bathing in fields. Would the solution even be left on their feet after 2 mins

We have 2 out blocks and no other choice. Not ideal. We use presto in the mix and sometimes let the sheep stand in the box for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

orm0nd wrote: »
    We have 2 out blocks and no other choice. Not ideal. We use presto in the mix and sometimes let the sheep stand in the box for a few minutes.

What's presto?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

It depends on what you're using
    Copper sulphate and zinc sulphate they need to stand in the footpath for a few minutes and drying after helps too.
    Formalin they can just run through it.

Yes in an ideal world but with ewes and lambs in 5 different fields at the min I haven't any other choice. Using zinc sulfate (golden hoof) let them stand for 2 mins in footbath and no other choice but straight out till grass then. Seen a massive improvement over 1st 2 uses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

ganmo wrote: »
    It depends on what you're using
    Copper sulphate and zinc sulphate they need to stand in the footpath for a few minutes and drying after helps too.
    Formalin they can just run through it.

Formalin ok when used very occasionally, hardens the hoof and dirt goes inside the shell, worse than any scald

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Farm365

What is everyone using for a second dose for lambs? I dosed them with Albex 6 weeks ago. Is it pointless using a white dose again? I’m waiting on Faecal sample results

Farm365 wrote: »
    What is everyone using for a second dose for lambs? I dosed them with Albex 6 weeks ago. Is it pointless using a white dose again? I’m waiting on Faecal sample results
    Yes it’s pointless and counter productive to use a white dose now as you will increase resistance. Also I would wait for the FEC to see what your dealing with.

Any and all marts I see on facebook blessington dowra donegal raphoe. Raphoe has 1 up from yesterday's sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I had an awful weakness the weekend and bought 6 purebred texel ewe lambs in the spur of the moment. Starting out the hard way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

I had an awful weakness the weekend and bought 6 purebred texel ewe lambs in the spur of the moment. Starting out the hard way :rolleyes:

Congrats.. hope they do well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I saw you had commented in here and I thought to myself that’s unusual... ;)

Best of luck with them...

I look forward to reading about you having a few hundred in a couple years, cos that’s what happens :):):):)

Are they registered?

I saw you had commented in here and I thought to myself that’s unusual... ;)

Best of luck with them...

I look forward to reading about you having a few hundred in a couple years, cos that’s what happens :):):):)

Micheal Mc Hugh(Teagasc) said in a presentation one night that breeding purebred Texels is not for the fainthearted and he has one, if not two, vets in his family available for the lambing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Are they registered?

No. Their mothers were alright though. They should be ok I'd say, I bought them off a friend that wouldn't give them any special attention over the commercials and any ewe that was any way problematic was culled so they should be hardy enough. I'd a notion to get a few sheep with a while but was thinking more second crop Suffolk x ewes and a charollais ram. Would have been an easier introduction I'd imagine.

Advertisement