Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

No. Their mothers were alright though. They should be ok I'd say, I bought them off a friend that wouldn't give them any special attention over the commercials and any ewe that was any way problematic was culled so they should be hardy enough. I'd a notion to get a few sheep with a while but was thinking more second crop Suffolk x ewes and a charollais ram. Would have been an easier introduction I'd imagine.

If your wanting to register them,youd want to look into it

The texel society can be pure cúnts to deal with around registarion (few lads i know,in deep,got burnt starting off)...but your friend probably be able to set you straight

Best of luck anyway,hope.they will be a massive success,the world needs more sheep farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

If your wanting to register them,youd want to look into it

The texel society can be pure cúnts to deal with around registarion (few lads i know,in deep,got burnt starting off)...but your friend probably be able to set you straight

Best of luck anyway,hope.they will be a massive success,the world needs more sheep farmers

I don't think I'll bother. Hopefully they will be lucky. We weighed them there today and the couple of heavier ones were 50kg back down to 40kg for the lightest one. I added 4 bleu de maines aswell so that's 10 now. I think I'll leave it at that for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I don't think I'll bother. Hopefully they will be lucky. We weighed them there today and the couple of heavier ones were 50kg back down to 40kg for the lightest one. I added 4 bleu de maines aswell so that's 10 now. I think I'll leave it at that for the time being.

Very nice Limestone...

See, you had 6, now you have 10... this time next week it’ll be 15... ;)
    Them poor goats that bother you won’t know what’s hit em when your fields will be as bare as the table from all the sheep :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Anyone here any experience with blue de Maine sheep ? How did they go for youz ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Tileman

Young95 wrote: »
    Anyone here any experience with blue de Maine sheep ? How did they go for youz ?

Wild wild ****ers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

I had an awful weakness the weekend and bought 6 purebred texel ewe lambs in the spur of the moment. Starting out the hard way :rolleyes:

Wouldn’t say there are too many sheep on the winterages in Clare.....you will start a new trend!:)

Best of luck with them.....personally I think texels look like Woolie pigs but each to their own;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

clare has one of the smallest populations of sheep in ireland for some reason, i would say they dont like the climate at all, shep love dry, warm ,south facing land.they really thrive in midlands and mid east , meath,kildare,laois,north kilkenny, offaly. Limerick is another place with very little sheep. dublin i think has more sheep than limerick and clare combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Dickie10 wrote: »
    clare has one of the smallest populations of sheep in ireland for some reason, i would say they dont like the climate at all, shep love dry, warm ,south facing land.they really thrive in midlands and mid east , meath,kildare,laois,north kilkenny, offaly. Limerick is another place with very little sheep. dublin i think has more sheep than limerick and clare combined.
    I don't think it was the ground around here but more the expense of trying to stock proof farms that turned people away from them. Back further west Clare is very bleek open countryside though. I've a few friends with sheep locally and they have no bother getting lambs fit and away early and the ewes for the most part do be in great form. Most of my lowland would be sheltery enough and wouldn't be that wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I don't think it was the ground around here but more the expense of trying to stock proof farms that turned people away from them. Back further west Clare is very bleek open countryside though. I've a few friends with sheep locally and they have no bother getting lambs fit and away early and the ewes for the most part do be in great form. Most of my lowland would be sheltery enough and wouldn't be that wet.

I had relations back your area years ago. They used make a nice few pounds buying stores from Galway and outwintering them. Vaughans had a mart that time in kilfenora.

Best of luck with them and whatever you do stay away from Donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Dickie10 wrote: »

Ya, limerick is the county with the smallest number of sheep in the whole country. Plenty of dairy though.

• Advertisement

Tileman wrote: »
    Wild wild ****ers

I heard that .. do they preform well tho ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Tileman

I heard that .. do they preform well tho ?

Yea they were good lambs but stupid wild. I’d never let them in again ewes milk wasn’t great in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads, I've a 4 month old lamb that just gone really sick. He's down, head is swollen and eyes are now shut. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,177 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads, I've a 4 month old lamb that just gone really sick. He's down, head is swollen and eyes are now shut. Any ideas?

Probably photosensitisation, freak reaction to sunlight.
    Our vet gives them a steroid and take them out of the sunlight.
    We brought it on years ago by giving copper to texels :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Yes it’s pointless and counter productive to use a white dose now as you will increase resistance. Also I would wait for the FEC to see what your dealing with.

Id have thought changing the dose every time will speed up resistance, i.e. very quickly you will have worms resistant to white, clear and yellow wormers?
    My understanding is that best practice is to use one wormer, fecal sample, and keep using it until resistance shows up in the samples...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

Id have thought changing the dose every time will speed up resistance, i.e. very quickly you will have worms resistant to white, clear and yellow wormers?
    My understanding is that best practice is to use one wormer, fecal sample, and keep using it until resistance shows up in the samples...

Anyone use the 'pink' wormer Zerofen this year. I found it very good as I had a few dirty lambs before using it ?

Ya, limerick is the county with the smallest number of sheep in the whole country. Plenty of dairy though.

A few extra there to day I'd say. A fellow I know to see from west limerick buying stores at local marts this week.

Only bidding on tight wooled young lambs and the governor of aib wouldn't take him out on any thing he bid on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

wrangler wrote: »
    Probably photosensitisation, freak reaction to sunlight.
    Our vet gives them a steroid and take them out of the sunlight.
    We brought it on years ago by giving copper to texels :eek:

He looks better this morning. Brought him in and will see how he gets on...

Have a yearling suckling ewe here that is gone thin and is staggering around the field . She’s also bits of druel coming from her mouth . Looking at here elder it’s gone nearly so I presume she hasn’t eaten in a few days . Anything I can give her or has anyone come across this before? Also she’s not dirty and dung is still hard .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Found an old dispatch dockets book today as the current one is full and waiting time for a new one is 5 weeks, the one I have found is marked as old but also still has unused dockets in it, the dockets have the 2 barcodes on the top, would these be OK to use or is there anywhere I could find out?

• Advertisement

Have a yearling suckling ewe here that is gone thin and is staggering around the field . She’s also bits of druel coming from her mouth . Looking at here elder it’s gone nearly so I presume she hasn’t eaten in a few days . Anything I can give her or has anyone come across this before? Also she’s not dirty and dung is still hard .

It could be anything, look in her mouth, is there a tooth giving her trouble, it could be something on the brain, maybe something like CCN in sheep caused by a vitamin B1 deficiency.
    You'd really need to bring her to a vet, if it's not a tooth problem

It could be anything, look in her mouth, is there a tooth giving her trouble, it could be something on the brain, maybe something like CCN in sheep caused by a vitamin B1 deficiency.
    You'd really need to bring her to a vet, if it's not a tooth problem

Ya vet gave me 3 multiple injections full of stuff so hopefully she’ll pull through !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Ya vet gave me 3 multiple injections full of stuff so hopefully she’ll pull through !

Did he mention what she has?

Did he mention what she has?

Just something with the brain . Think he said meningitis or something? She can walk and is alert but I think her sight those be coming and going since I can walk right up to her in the field unlike earlier she was running away .also it’s not a b1 deficiency problem as had that before here as they can’t stand or anything if they have that .

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

very prolific, very easy lambed, very good mothers & good milkers if well fed.
    good in low stocking rate they are 'hungry sheep' and are very lean so can wear out at 4/5 crops, basicly ewes milk so well that they drain all the calcium out of their light bone structure that their teeth fall out.
    lambs very lively and are bare at birth like charollais and don't like cold & wet

1/2 or 1/4 bleu ewes are good cross with suffolk or texel but if crossed with charollais can be very bare and cold.

on low stocked well sheltered ground they are good sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/sheep/sheep-pedigree/longford-farmers-lonely-battle-to-preserve-the-roscommon-sheep-39354353.html?fbclid=IwAR1JDBfZtyST1WrSNCR9lG0S1ef49naybT8tN6amp9WFGF1Jy8wP9PxUd1g

Have to say I've never heard of this "Heritage Breed" - anyone know their particular "specs"?? Personally I believe we should try to maintain as much native diversity in our farming breeds as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    very prolific, very easy lambed, very good mothers & good milkers if well fed.
    good in low stocking rate they are 'hungry sheep' and are very lean so can wear out at 4/5 crops, basicly ewes milk so well that they drain all the calcium out of their light bone structure that their teeth fall out.
    lambs very lively and are bare at birth like charollais and don't like cold & wet

1/2 or 1/4 bleu ewes are good cross with suffolk or texel but if crossed with charollais can be very bare and cold.

on low stocked well sheltered ground they are good sheep
    That sums them up well. I had a half bred one here and the above was the result. She always gave birth on her own. My daughter owned. A great mother but small ewe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Went through some lambs again today till try and gather a few more for the mart tomorrow noticed alot now have scaley dry ears which I think I heard before is down to lack off cobalt? Lambs got turbo sheep mineral dose just over 2 weeks ago and are on very good quality grass well dosed and are all very clean.

Lambman wrote: »
    Went through some lambs again today till try and gather a few more for the mart tomorrow noticed alot now have scaley dry ears which I think I heard before is down to lack off cobalt? Lambs got turbo sheep mineral dose just over 2 weeks ago and are on very good quality grass well dosed and are all very clean.

Cobalt only lasts 10 - 14 days in the lamb, if your land is deficient they need cobalt every 14 days or alternatively a slow release bolus

• Advertisement

Cobalt only lasts 10 - 14 days in the lamb, if your land is deficient they need cobalt every 14 days or alternatively a slow release bolus

+1

we usually give c. b12 and selenium every 2 to 3 weeks

Missed out pulling second last batch of lambs and can see the difference.

We tried them pellets from mayo health care a couple of years ago and wasn't too impressed.

Advertisement