Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

anyone maggots yet in clean ewes? my februrary lambers are in shed drying /weaning at minute on hay, so safe enough. im going to dip around late july but i will have to click on frst week of september perhaps earlier. i find dip wont keep flies off after 14 days. just cleans up sheep. think i will shear half my store lambs this year and click the other half. should i dip them and click them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

3-4 year olds going on other years €60-€65 no maggots worth up here yet seen a few flyd this evening on another farm there not even flying about worth talking about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

DJ98 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea what 3 and 4 year old horned ewes suitable for breeding would be worth?

What would they make as culls? Add a tenner to that, maybe?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

How many sheep would a 40 X 24 foot shed hold? Open front with barriers for feeding. Would require about 10 to 15 pens. Straw bedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,177 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

farming93 wrote: »
    How many sheep would a 40 X 24 foot shed hold? Open front with barriers for feeding. Would require about 10 to 15 pens. Straw bedding.

Sheep need 12 - 14 sq ft/hd so it'll hold 75 approx, the difficult part is ensuring enough trough space.
    If you intend feeding meal they'll need at least 18ins trough space each,
    Why do you need 10 to 15 pens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

wrangler wrote: »
    Sheep need 12 - 14 sq ft/hd so it'll hold 75 approx, the difficult part is ensuring enough trough space.
    If you intend feeding meal they'll need at least 18ins trough space each,
    Why do you need 10 to 15 pens
    Perfect thanks wrangler. Just 10 to 15 lambing pens. I use the ram effect and alot of them lamb very close together so I'd rather have enough pen space for them for a day or two then move them into a bigger shed.

farming93 wrote: »
    Perfect thanks wrangler. Just 10 to 15 lambing pens. I use the ram effect and alot of them lamb very close together so I'd rather have enough pen space for them for a day or two then move them into a bigger shed.

Is the shed for lambing pens so, a lambing pen needs to be 5ft by 5ft so eight pens each side.
    I thought you were just referring to general housing .
    It's good to have enough individual pens, using the ram effect can make it very hectic at times

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Lads weaning lambs here end of week but weighting lambs tomorrow to see if I can get some away while still on ewes . What live weight would I want to be going on or what would there kill out percentage be on just grass but still on ewes ? No ram lambs only ewe lambs and weathers .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Young95 wrote: »
    Lads weaning lambs here end of week but weighting lambs tomorrow to see if I can get some away while still on ewes . What live weight would I want to be going on or what would there kill out percentage be on just grass but still on ewes ? No ram lambs only ewe lambs and weathers .

id go with anything around 43kg.there is an eid festival driving the market at the minute once its gone the good price will too..better killing a light lamb into a good price than a heavy lad into poor price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

What would people see as a reasonable price to pay for a 5 star ram lamb? Pedigree breeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

DJ98 wrote: »
    What would people see as a reasonable price to pay for a 5 star ram lamb? Pedigree breeding.

Around 500. Pay more for a lamb ya really liked

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Would i be right in thinking a Charolais ewe wouldnt be most suitable to out wintering? Do lads normally house dry ewes over the winter or leave out and bring in for lambing?

i normally buy in Hilltex ewe lambs to run through fields during winter period. Have a notion of buying a couple of pedigree ewes and breed them aswell as purchasing store lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Have a double 5 star texel 2 year old here highest figures in mart the sale he was in looked real smart lamb but never grew much after I got him and dont look like much either at the min. Have enough lambs and hoggets outta him for breeding now so hes for sale. Cana get the stars online for him now must be because I'm not sheep ireland registered?

Lambman wrote: »
    Have a double 5 star texel 2 year old here highest figures in mart the sale he was in looked real smart lamb but never grew much after I got him and dont look like much either at the min. Have enough lambs and hoggets outta him for breeding now so hes for sale. Cana get the stars online for him now must be because I'm not sheep ireland registered?

Go into Sheep.ie and then click on ram search

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

What dose are people using, lambs got very dirty here the last few days. Sent a feacel sample away today but I'd be pretty sure the count will be high.

Just wondering what would be best to give them now. They got a white drench 3 weeks ago, it had cobalt in it. Very handy having the cobalt already in it.

joe35 wrote: »
    What dose are people using, lambs got very dirty here the last few days. Sent a feacel sample away today but I'd be pretty sure the count will be high.

Just wondering what would be best to give them now. They got a white drench 3 weeks ago, it had cobalt in it. Very handy having the cobalt already in it.

Don’t do anything yet till you get the results back . Could been from fresh grass either ..

I think they'll be needing a dose, don't seem to be thriving like they should. I'll see what the results are and act accordingly at the weekend. Thanks for the reply

I think they'll be needing a dose, don't seem to be thriving like they should. I'll see what the results are and act accordingly at the weekend. Thanks for the reply

No bother ,Let us know the fecal Egg count reading anyways

Yea, white dose is ideal for treating nematodirus in April/May when there's not much stomach worms around but after that, you're better to use one of the other types of wormer, either a clear wormer or yellow wormer
    White wormer has lost its effect against stomach worms on most farms but it still works well on nematodirus

Yea I'd agree with that Wrangler. Just wondering is there a clear or yellow wormer with added cobalt to it already. Was very handy with the white one.

• Advertisement

Yea I'd agree with that Wrangler. Just wondering is there a clear or yellow wormer with added cobalt to it already. Was very handy with the white one.

We usually buy the cobalt and mix it ourselves, a tea spoonful will do 100 lambs but it has to be mixed well, we mix it 24hr before hand to make it dissolve and even put it through a tea strainer before dosing to ensure it doesn't block the dosing gun,
    Chanaverm plus and levacide SC are two yellow doses with cobalt I don't think there's any clear doses with cobalt in them

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

was using a wormer with SC lambs clean but the cobalt feature doesn't appear to be worth a sh1te lambs ears all flakey and wool dry.

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    was using a wormer with SC lambs clean but the cobalt feature doesn't appear to be worth a sh1te lambs ears all flakey and wool dry.

Any cobalt you give them will only last 10 - 12 days if there's a cobalt deficiency.
    Any one that needs to give lambs Cobalt are giving it every fortnight or using a slow release bolus, indeed some of us are doubting the boluses now too.
    We give Cobalt in all the worm doses even though we use boluses at ten weeks of age

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Any cobalt you give them will only last 10 - 12 days if there's a cobalt deficiency.
    Any one that needs to give lambs Cobalt are giving it every fortnight or using a slow release bolus, indeed some of us are doubting the boluses now too.
    We give Cobalt in all the worm doses even though we use boluses at ten weeks of age

I use the mayo bolus here and I think they don’t last. See them getting flaky ears after 3-4 months...

Hard to know what’s the best thing - I like the bolus cos you only do it once, but having to repeat every 3 months isn’t great...

I use the mayo bolus here and I think they don’t last. See them getting flaky ears after 3-4 months...

Hard to know what’s the best thing - I like the bolus cos you only do it once, but having to repeat every 3 months isn’t great...

We use Animax and we'd never have scaley ears, but I'm just not happy with the thrive but the tests here on grass are very low in cobalt also high in molybdemum so probably locks up other minerals too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads, a few lambs here with very flaky and infected ears. Flies driving them mad. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads, a few lambs here with very flaky and infected ears. Flies driving them mad. Any ideas?

Or chinounction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Yeah, brought them in this morning and sprayed the effected ones with that to keep the flies away. Must be some sort of underlying deficiency though? Will get a mineral bucket in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Does anybody use the wrap around ear tags for sheep? I was wondering if they were good to stay in place?

Advertisement