Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

why is the withdrawal for albex 4 day and valbazen 10 day when they are both the same active ingredient 10%abendazole?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Thanks, was going to do them all anyway
    If you're going to do them all would you not use dectomax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

If a new ram is bought this time of year can he just be let out with others or do they need to be confined to a small area for a while? Would. They fight when its not breeding season?

He should be ok they might give him a few pucks to introduce him. Like a sub coming on in hurling!! I'd still keep him separate to see how he's doing he could be pumped with meal before u buy him and will need to be weaned off it

What type of lamb would you get from a charollais x scotch ewe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

What's people using for dipping I dipped last week with cyberguard €100 for 2 litres Mix at 500/1... wasn't much off a smell off it but the 1 lamb that had a few maggots starting on him seems fine now anybody use it and what period off cover should I expect? Mid March lambing flock here with 15% lambs gone b4 dipping and have till wait 2 weeks now for withdrawal period so hope till have 60% gone end off next week. Hope till not need till dip anything again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭kk.man

DJ98 wrote: »
    What type of lamb would you get from a charollais x scotch ewe?

A horny flighty yoke!!...i honestly don't know just had to reply

kk.man wrote: »
    A horny flighty yoke!!...i honestly don't know just had to reply

Thanks, would they be suitable for factory lambs as opposed to replacements

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

DJ98 wrote: »
    Thanks, would they be suitable for factory lambs as opposed to replacements

I'm guessing they'd be a slightly longer version of a suff x

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Lambman wrote: »
    What's people using for dipping I dipped last week with cyberguard €100 for 2 litres Mix at 500/1... wasn't much off a smell off it but the 1 lamb that had a few maggots starting on him seems fine now anybody use it and what period off cover should I expect? Mid March lambing flock here with 15% lambs gone b4 dipping and have till wait 2 weeks now for withdrawal period so hope till have 60% gone end off next week. Hope till not need till dip anything again.

I got 2.5 L for €95. Not sure of the brand. It's a good bit cheaper than yours but the withdrawal period was 35 days. I didn't dip about 30 lambs and so far 5 or 6 of them had maggots. Good job I dipped when I did.

• Advertisement

35 days is a long time at this time off year expect most mid March lambing flock would be put off by that withdrawal period if dipped now that's 24 weeks b4 you'll be fit till sell a paddys day lamb!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Does anyone know a rough price to get a contractor to put up sheep wire and one row of barb.

I will buy the fencing stuff or would it be cheaper to let him as he would prob buy in bulk.

Im very busy with work and fencing is being put on long finger so could nearly justify paying the contractor

Tia

roosky wrote: »
    Does anyone know a rough price to get a contractor to put up sheep wire and one row of barb.

I will buy the fencing stuff or would it be cheaper to let him as he would prob buy in bulk.

Im very busy with work and fencing is being put on long finger so could nearly justify paying the contractor

Tia
    Depends on how big field is? How many strainers ur using and wether it's the dull wire or the high tensile stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Depends on how big field is? How many strainers ur using and wether it's the dull wire or the high tensile stuff?

Where are you? Know a lad in cavan that's very keen and does excellent work

razor8 wrote: »

Where are you? Know a lad in cavan that's very keen and does excellent work
    I'm in Donegal but ain't me that's looking for the work done... I know 2 good lads aswell but that's the questions they'll ask before giving a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

Grant is 5.34 a metre. Most prices I got recently were 6 euro a metre. It depends how hard it is and number of strainers needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Its fairly straight forward a run of 300 meters needing two strainers and another field where im fencing two sides but its a bit bendy so maybe another 400 meters with 4 strainers.

I am more looking for a price to erect or do lads do that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Know a lad thats around the €1.40/m to erect only in leitrim/cavan border

FRS quoted me 2.70 plus vat at the same but that was 3 years ago

Just wondering if any of ye have had any experience with Mayo Mule/Greyface Sheep? I was thinking of going to Ballinrobe in August to buy a few and see how they go. In recent years I have introduced alot of Texel to the Flock. Now at least 60% of the Ewes are Texel X with the remainder being Suffolk X. They are nice looking sheep but this year I had just under 1.3 Lambs per Ewe so something has to change. Is Mules / Greyface sheep a good option or would you recommend any other breeds?
    I purchased a Belclare Ram last year to breed replacements but have since been told that they are no good for milk. I have no experience with Belclare Ewes so from your own experience is this true?

Thanks.

Personally I find the belclare a very good ewe, that produce plenty of milk, but then that is ☓ bred and not pure bred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just wondering if any of ye have had any experience with Mayo Mule/Greyface Sheep? I was thinking of going to Ballinrobe in August to buy a few and see how they go. In recent years I have introduced alot of Texel to the Flock. Now at least 60% of the Ewes are Texel X with the remainder being Suffolk X. They are nice looking sheep but this year I had just under 1.3 Lambs per Ewe so something has to change. Is Mules / Greyface sheep a good option or would you recommend any other breeds?
    I purchased a Belclare Ram last year to breed replacements but have since been told that they are no good for milk. I have no experience with Belclare Ewes so from your own experience is this true?

Thanks.

There's good and bad strains in every breed. Get a ram with good maternal index, 4 or 5 star, and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Did any of ye venture up to Brian Nicholson's open day earlier today ? was it any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

Just wondering if any of ye have had any experience with Mayo Mule/Greyface Sheep? I was thinking of going to Ballinrobe in August to buy a few and see how they go. In recent years I have introduced alot of Texel to the Flock. Now at least 60% of the Ewes are Texel X with the remainder being Suffolk X. They are nice looking sheep but this year I had just under 1.3 Lambs per Ewe so something has to change. Is Mules / Greyface sheep a good option or would you recommend any other breeds? I purchased a Belclare Ram last year to breed replacements but have since been told that they are no good for milk. I have no experience with Belclare Ewes so from your own experience is this true?

Any lot of belclare x here and no issues with milk. Personally I think too many belclares are hard work with too many lambs so I aim for 70% belclare x with the remaining suffolk and texel x.

I have 16 lambs picked out for breeding that are off the Belcalare Ram. I'm planning on buying maybe 10-12 Mules in Ballinrobe next month. I'll breed them with different Rams and see which Ewe suits us best. What do Ewe Lambs or Hoggets usually make in Ballinrobe?

I have 16 lambs picked out for breeding that are off the Belcalare Ram. I'm planning on buying maybe 10-12 Mules in Ballinrobe next month. I'll breed them with different Rams and see which Ewe suits us best. What do Ewe Lambs or Hoggets usually make in Ballinrobe?
    Surely it would be better to breed them both to the same ram and see which does better! Have mainly belclare here never any problem with milk. Have a few mules and while they're great ewes to rear lambs they would eat you outta house and home.

Surely it would be better to breed them both to the same ram and see which does better! Have mainly belclare here never any problem with milk. Have a few mules and while they're great ewes to rear lambs they would eat you outta house and home.

If I was to divide the Belclares and Mules into 3 groups with Charollais, Texel and Suffolk Rams that would give me an idea of the best cross though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Did any of ye venture up to Brian Nicholson's open day earlier today ? was it any good ?

Sorry - started another thread on it. Yeah, I was there yesterday. It was interesting for me mainly to see how to do grass management right. Mine is virtually non existent, just a bit of topping here and there. He has 1125 ewes. A lot of work for one man and a part time assistant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

arctictree wrote: »
    Sorry - started another thread on it. Yeah, I was there yesterday. It was interesting for me mainly to see how to do grass management right. Mine is virtually non existent, just a bit of topping here and there. He has 1125 ewes. A lot of work for one man and a part time assistant.

Teagasc do a lot of the recording and he'd have a good few helping at the lambing....it''s all in how you organise it I suppose,
    His stock and grassland has improved massively since the last farm walk I was at there.....anyone that enlists for the Better Farm program get great advice.
    What would concern me is 10% of his ewes not lambing...over 100 ewes in that flock

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

rangler1 wrote: »
    Teagasc do a lot of the recording and he'd have a good few helping at the lambing....it''s all in how you organise it I suppose,
    His stock and grassland has improved massively since the last farm walk I was at there.....anyone that enlists for the Better Farm program get great advice.
    What would concern me is 10% of his ewes not lambing...over 100 ewes in that flock

Empty is it? We had 7%, empty , vet said iodine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Empty is it? We had 7%, empty , vet said iodine

Leaflet for the walk said that the litter size was 1.98 and the lambs reared was 1.54, I don't really understand it but it diidn't make sense to me

Advertisement