Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I bought in a small bunch of ewe lambs..37kg last week.. noticed yesterday that one of them seems to be getting orf on top lip.. is that unusual at her age? .. on arrival all got albex.. 2 days later all got heptavac and a dose of growvite. Are on lush wet grass

Orf is not unusual unfortunately. It'll fade after 2-3 weeks. If it's swollen and the skin is raw/broken/exposed, then you could spray it with Alymycin (or similar) to help prevent infection.

You could try isolate any lambs with it, but it might be too late at this stage. As long as they don't start to get really bad and lose condition, they'll recover just fine.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone any suggestions as how you anchor drop pin hurdles do a solid block wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

DJ98 wrote: »
    Anyone any suggestions as how you anchor drop pin hurdles do a solid block wall?

I use these.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/rawlplug-rawlbolt-eye-shield-anchors-m10-x-108mm-5-pack/80842?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4f35BRDBARIsAPePBHxBSHtsC1S-s96mBm4T7NcLMeEFxvBKtYTIQHOVpJIELyByY2k6nd0aAiIFEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

or make brackets by welding lugs to 2inch flat and rawlbolt it to the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

DJ98 wrote: »

Perforated banding and washered steel nails

Wranglers method better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I though this was a great video on temporary fencing for sheep.
    https://twitter.com/TeagascGrass10/status/1296807655479160832?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Anyone attend the Carrick Prolific Lamb Sale last night, or did anyone hear what sort of money lambs were making?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Anyone attend the Carrick Prolific Lamb Sale last night, or did anyone hear what sort of money lambs were making?

Top price 208 I think. Was looking at a few lots online and nice mules were 120+.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Any of ye registered on LSL should be able to view individual videos on link below. Might not work

The top priced lambs were at the end

https://www.livestock-live.com/MartMemberAccess/Market/MartCatalogue?Mart=MWLIS&SearchDateRange=Last&DoSearch=DoSearch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Top price 208 I think. Was looking at a few lots online and nice mules were 120+.

Mules made 300 in ballinrobe Friday :)

Mules made 300 in ballinrobe Friday :)

Madness, I don't see the big deal about mules. I gave €165 for mule ewe lambs 3 years ago in Ballinrobe, while they are giving me more lambs/ewe than my typical ewe, I find the blue leicester comes through in many of the lambs and it can be hard to get weight onto them. Last year I decided to run them with a suffolk, and they did throw nice ewe lambs in fairness. I think if I was buying them again, I'd buy them in the likes of carrick at €20-30/hd cheaper.

• Advertisement

Madness, I don't see the big deal about mules. I gave €165 for mule ewe lambs 3 years ago in Ballinrobe, while they are giving me more lambs/ewe than my typical ewe, I find the blue leicester comes through in many of the lambs and it can be hard to get weight onto them. Last year I decided to run them with a suffolk, and they did throw nice ewe lambs in fairness. I think if I was buying them again, I'd buy them in the likes of carrick at €20-30/hd cheaper.

That was tops. 275 next best. Lams made 225 yesterday then. Lot of lambs around 170 180

Jjameson wrote: »
    Those ewe lambs should be the cat’s pyjamas?

They were good strong ewe lambs, only 10 or 12 lots made more than them that year, but I wanted to buy strong ones that'd be well fit for the ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Jimbo789

Mule ewe lambs averaged €155 in Ballinrobe on Saturday up €28 on last year!!!

I bought some 2 years ago when the average was around €40 less than this year. I went back last year but didn’t buy any because I thought they were too dear, so I’m happy I didn’t go this year because it would have been a wasted journey.

Jimbo789 wrote: »
    Mule ewe lambs averaged €155 in Ballinrobe on Saturday up €28 on last year!!!

I bought some 2 years ago when the average was around €40 less than this year. I went back last year but didn’t buy any because I thought they were too dear, so I’m happy I didn’t go this year because it would have been a wasted journey.

Whats your opinion of the mule? And what ram do you use on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Jimbo789

Whats your opinion of the mule? And what ram do you use on them.

Those are the only mules I’ve had. They had their first lambs this year as hoggets and they all lambed outdoors without much difficulty to a texel ram.

From what I’ve heard I shouldn’t expect to get as many years out of them as some other breeds.

Their price and the advantages of having a closed flock is what would put me off buying them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Mules are good sheep. We’ve a few but they aren’t the fancy looking ones you see the 1st day in ballinrobe. They all have 2 or 3 lambs every year they rear they’re lambs well are great ewes to milk and good milkers but are hard fed always the last at the trough and are always eating silage.
    It’s pure madness to pay that much for them though. That sale like many breeding sales lately is a con job. I know for a fact the main organisers of it have buyers down the week before to choose their lambs and they get a few extra lambs in exchange for buying their top pen and bidding the others into the sky. Also breeders buying lambs in the north and selling them at the sale. Total bull!! I feel sorry for people that get caught up in they’re games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Mules are good sheep. We’ve a few but they aren’t the fancy looking ones you see the 1st day in ballinrobe. They all have 2 or 3 lambs every year they rear they’re lambs well are great ewes to milk and good milkers but are hard fed always the last at the trough and are always eating silage.
    It’s pure madness to pay that much for them though. That sale like many breeding sales lately is a con job. I know for a fact the main organisers of it have buyers down the week before to choose their lambs and they get a few extra lambs in exchange for buying their top pen and bidding the others into the sky. Also breeders buying lambs in the north and selling them at the sale. Total bull!! I feel sorry for people that get caught up in they’re games

In your opinion, what’s a fair price to pay for a mule hogget Stan?

In your opinion, what’s a fair price to pay for a mule hogget Stan?
    I don’t know is the honest answer. If you know what you’re getting then work away. Everyone is different. It depends on what your opinion of value is. I seen the borris hoggs make similar money last week some of them big as rams. The problem with these sales and ram sales is there are no honest sheep at them. All are packed to the gills with meal and are going to melt if they are suddenly taken off meal when you buy them. I was watching a ram sale online and a small Suffolk breeder next to me claim his rams were grass fed and I watching him carry meal to them every morning and evening. They don’t even graze just lie at the gate all day waiting for more meal. And the ****e hanging off them before he washes them is unreal. Any rams I buy are out of the breeders yard. I know they are still being fed but you can see where they came from and you have some chance with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jd310

The mule sale in Donegal was a lot dearer last year than the year before it too,probably be dearer again this year.Id say all sheep in it would be fed meal too

I don’t know is the honest answer. If you know what you’re getting then work away. Everyone is different. It depends on what your opinion of value is. I seen the borris hoggs make similar money last week some of them big as rams. The problem with these sales and ram sales is there are no honest sheep at them. All are packed to the gills with meal and are going to melt if they are suddenly taken off meal when you buy them. I was watching a ram sale online and a small Suffolk breeder next to me claim his rams were grass fed and I watching him carry meal to them every morning and evening. They don’t even graze just lie at the gate all day waiting for more meal. And the ****e hanging off them before he washes them is unreal. Any rams I buy are out of the breeders yard. I know they are still being fed but you can see where they came from and you have some chance with them.

Very true, a lot can be said for breeding your own replacements and even rams if possible. I bought a purebred Suffolk Ewe a few years ago and kept 2 Rams out her and they are as good as any other suffolk I've ever had. At least I know exactly what their potential is from day 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

having run mules here for the past few years my advice is buy the lanark x types put these to a really good texel ram and youll breed great factory lambs and replacement ewe lambs..they will scan 2.0 as mature ewes no hassle and wean 1.8..currently changing from mules to lyens here soley down to the fact i dont want to be paying mad money for stuffed hoggets or ewe lambs when i can breed my own grass fed replacements and hand pick the best of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I have Hoggets for sale, all grass fed genuine sheep.

I have mules and some Suffolk and Texel cross. I have them advertised but not getting interest or any of the prices I see lads talking about.

They are big sheep but not pumped with meal so do I need to clip them and color them before going to a mart with them, it’s a lot of work and work I’m not really sure of but am I missing a trick by not having them all spruced up !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

roosky wrote: »

I have mules and some Suffolk and Texel cross. I have them advertised but not getting interest or any of the prices I see lads talking about.

They are big sheep but not pumped with meal so do I need to clip them and color them before going to a mart with them, it’s a lot of work and work I’m not really sure of but am I missing a trick by not having them all spruced up !

Tbh, whenever i see a dyed animal, i automatically think (a) this fella is looking for big money for these, (b) they are probably in great shape due to being on the best of ground and got meal also, which can hide a lot of flaws, and (c) they are probably clipped up and preened to disguise faults.
    I dont think ive ever come to the conclusion that the animals are any better because they have it, it is all negatives.
    Therefore, I dont see the point of it.

Tbh, whenever i see a dyed animal, i automatically think (a) this fella is looking for big money for these, (b) they are probably in great shape due to being on the best of ground and got meal also, which can hide a lot of flaws, and (c) they are probably clipped up and preened to disguise faults.
    I dont think ive ever come to the conclusion that the animals are any better because they have it, it is all negatives.
    Therefore, I dont see the point of it.
    I agree with you 100% I hate all the dying and clipping. The blue leicesters look totally ridiculous the way they are clipped but it’s got to the point that lads are thinking everyone else is doing it and my sheep are going to look like scum if I don’t dye them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

Down Borris way these types don't attract the bigger money. Too black and texels are knocked I can't vouch for mules as they wouldn't be that plentiful. By the same token they be nothing wrong with your sheep they could have two plus lambs as good as any tullow or borris ewe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Tileman

Have u the price up in done deal. It helps a lot. Should be no problem selling them this year. Lots of confidence in sheep sector this year for a change after a year of good prices.

If they're the ones I seen, put up a newer ad, that ad is old enough. Put up a price. They aren't the heaviest of sheep. I've never seen a premium for lighter "grass fed" sheep
    I've never heard of anyone buying cgarollais breeding sheep on purpose, the odd one in a batch maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If they're the ones I seen, put up a newer ad, that ad is old enough. Put up a price. They aren't the heaviest of sheep. I've never seen a premium for lighter "grass fed" sheep
    I've never heard of anyone buying cgarollais breeding sheep on purpose, the odd one in a batch maybe

Charolais can be very poor for milk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Ya I have price up at €185 and €180 so not asking crazy money.....I’m just more so confused as to where lads are getting the real big prices from !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    Charolais can be very poor for milk

I've older ewes with fraction of charloais blood in them. The main sign being their ears. As long as they dont look like a charolais their actually ok. But the minute the ewe has any bit if a charolais resembling head on them, mothering ability goes out the window. Of course I can only speak for whatevers has been in my field, but that's what I found anyway. Fabulous for the butchers block of course.

Advertisement