Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Hi all.. so I normally just have ewe lambs that I keep for hoggets.. this year I have half a dozen ewes that I bought with lambs at foot mainly for the kids to enjoy the cuteness factor.. anyway was aiming to have them lambing next year say March 17th.. my issue is I think I weaned too soon and ewes are going to be morbidly obese by breeding.. 3 in particular. Not really set up to have mini flocks everywhere..any suggestions? Apologies for the essay

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Hi all.. so I normally just have ewe lambs that I keep for hoggets.. this year I have half a dozen ewes that I bought with lambs at foot mainly for the kids to enjoy the cuteness factor.. anyway was aiming to have them lambing next year say March 17th.. my issue is I think I weaned too soon and ewes are going to be morbidly obese by breeding.. 3 in particular. Not really set up to have mini flocks everywhere..any suggestions? Apologies for the essay

Have you a shed or house you can put them into? Give them hay/straw in there for a week to help their weight loss.

But check them first to make sure they are actually too fat. Nice explanation of body condition scoring here: https://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/FSA-9610.pdf

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Sounds a plan.. thanks for that will examine properly soon. And take it from there.. how heavy would they have to be before it was a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Anyone here use Agri-Lloyd Liquitrive for breeding ewes and if so, what do you think of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Anyone here use Agri-Lloyd Liquitrive for breeding ewes and if so, what do you think of it?

Never used it. Use Grovite Forte here, find it good but its expensive.

• Advertisement

Sounds a plan.. thanks for that will examine properly soon. And take it from there.. how heavy would they have to be before it was a problem

It’s more about the BCS than their weight. Around 3-4 would be OK but above 4 might be an issue. Depends on a few factors though such as breed, weather, rams fertility, grass availability, moving them too often to different fields, etc.

There’s only so much you can do and after that nature will take its course one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It’s more about the BCS than their weight. Around 3-4 would be OK but above 4 might be an issue. Depends on a few factors though such as breed, weather, rams fertility, grass availability, moving them too often to different fields, etc.

There’s only so much you can do and after that nature will take its course one way or the other.

Farmers have had ewes go down with tetany trying to thin them down and the fatter they were the more prone to tetany they were.
    Hay maybe, but not straw on it's own, straw needs protein fed with it to digest it properly, it clogs up in the ewes otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Agri loyd stuff always seems to be over priced to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

What are peoples opinions on texel x ewes? Do they make good mothers? And what ram would be most suited for them? My thinking would be either Suffolk or charolais

DJ98 wrote: »
    What are peoples opinions on texel x ewes? Do they make good mothers? And what ram would be most suited for them? My thinking would be either Suffolk or charolais

Majority of our flock would be half or 3/4 Texel, and while they have nice lambs, they wouldn't be very prolific and wouldn't be the best mothers. Very hard adopt lambs on to them compared to the rest of the ewes. We have crossed them with Charollais and Suffolk rams and my pick would be the Charollais, mainly down to the fact they are easier to keep clean. I find them a nice cross with belclare too for breeding ewe lambs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

over rated and way over priced

orm0nd wrote: »
    over rated and way over priced

What sort of money does it cost? Can't find anything about the price of it online

What would be the best to feed Rams pre breeding season to improve their condition? Have a couple here that ain't doing as well as I'd like? Won't be going with ewes for another 6 weeks

What would be the best to feed Rams pre breeding season to improve their condition? Have a couple here that ain't doing as well as I'd like? Won't be going with ewes for another 6 weeks

Lamb finisher ration or intensive lamb ration is what I use for rams

wrangler wrote: »
    Lamb finisher ration or intensive lamb ration is what I use for rams

I take lamb nuts would do the same job then?

I take lamb nuts would do the same job then?

Yea, it'd be the same thing.
    I'd usually give them .5kg twice a day
    How much per day were you intending to give them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Anyone recommend a good electric clippers?
    Just a handheld job, for dagging and the likes...

Anyone ever get grass tested to see what trace elements it was lacking in? Wasn't aware this could be done until today, always thought it was just the soil that was tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Anyone ever get grass tested to see what trace elements it was lacking in? Wasn't aware this could be done until today, always thought it was just the soil that was tested.

We done it as part of a trial. Hard male head nor tail of it, nothing stood out and not really acted on

Yea , herbage analysis, I don't know if you could depend on an analysis of whats growing at the moment, My wife calls it 'enriched water''

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We get bloods done for the cows a few times a year and get the silage done as well to make sure we minimise problems and get our minerals adjusted to take account of the results.

FBA labs in Cork and IAS labs in Carlow are two that we've used in the past.

We done it as part of a trial. Hard male head nor tail of it, nothing stood out and not really acted on
    wrangler wrote: »
    Yea , herbage analysis, I don't know if you could depend on an analysis of whats growing at the moment, My wife calls it 'enriched water''

How would I go about getting it tested? Probably be left until next year, but would just be interesting to see what results come back from it.

How would I go about getting it tested? Probably be left until next year, but would just be interesting to see what results come back from it.

Cut a sample, put it into a sealed sandwich bag (or similar) and post or deliver it to the nearest lab

What the best length and thickness of stake to use when putting up sheep wire, with a strand of barbed and electric wire on top?

What the best length and thickness of stake to use when putting up sheep wire, with a strand of barbed and electric wire on top?

If the sheep wire is 3 feet and the strand of wire is 4-6 inches above that, then you need 4 feet above the ground.

A foot below ground is enough for most ground types so you’ll probably need 5 foot stakes.

Re diameter: 2-3 inch stakes might be a bit light so depending on your budget, you could go for 4-5 inch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Tileman

Personally I’d go 6 ft if your doing two strands above the sheep wire

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

The father is thinking of upgrading the tractor. We've on 06 mc cormick 100hp. Would like a bit extra power so probably look for 110hp with loader. No major work to be done but the father is fierce hard on a tractor so hence the extra power. Any suggestions, how much is it to import a tractor. Would be looking for something 2017 upwards with a loader. And spend as little as possible!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

We fenced last year. They had no 6ft posts in stock so went with 5ft. There grand for sheep but too short for cattle.

We ended up waiting a few weeks and getting the 6ft ones to finish off. If it was me I'd go with the 6ft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

There is little correlation between the soil sample, grass sample and the blood sample as in your soil and grass could be fine for let’s say selenium but you animals could be deficient because something else is not allowing them to take it up from the grass.....much better to blood the animals and see what they are lacking rather than trying to guess from soil or grass samples

• Advertisement

Ten days ago a lovely ewe lamb here developed a rectal prolapse, I usually get them to a factory as soon as possible but this one has got toxovax so the 42day withdrawal won't be up until the 7th sept, I've got a vet to stitch them in the past but have also had them burst out the stitches and spending that much on a €100 lamb doesn't make sense either so I tried a prolapse harness and believe it or not it's still working.

Advertisement