Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Maize meal was also reasonably priced last winter, so used also buy a bag or two if it
    and sprinkle it along the top of the oats in the cold hard weather. It gave them the extra boost of energy when needed.

What kinda money would you be talking about for a ton of oats?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

What kinda money would you be talking about for a ton of oats?

I buy it in the small 20kg bags at around €220 a tonne. Probably cheaper in bulk, i've no meal facilities.just buy 20 or 30 bags when passing merchants or get a pallet dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Tileman wrote: »
    Yea I fed oats to hoggets last year along with a bit of rough grazing and access to hay. They did very well on it.

Same experience myself over the last couple of years. In fact I'm considering sowing a plot of spring oats next to my WBC as a wholecrop option going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Best way to take tails of lambs?. Bought ewe lambs during the week and 2 of them have tails would like to have them off before the ram goes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Best way to take tails of lambs?. Bought ewe lambs during the week and 2 of them have tails would like to have them off before the ram goes out.

I think it's illegal so better not to discuss it publicly on here

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    I think it's illegal so better not to discuss it publicly on here

Fair enough, wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

Fair enough, wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

I'm not sure it is illegal now, can't find anything confirming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I mentioned here how my bought in hoggets were going very lame, and so were my ewes but not as bad. They would never have mixed. Had them in today and put them through a good strong foot bath. I was talking to the vet and mentioned it to him, that it’s scald. He said it sounds like codd, and I questioned that as codd starts where the hoof meets the hair whereas scald is white/pink, moist skin between the two hooves, and smells, or that’s what I always thought. He said they are very similar and caused by the very similar bacteria.
    I searched a bit online but couldn’t kind anything to back this up. Anyone agree or hear similar before? Would be disappointed if it was codd 😡

I mentioned here how my bought in hoggets were going very lame, and so were my ewes but not as bad. They would never have mixed. Had them in today and put them through a good strong foot bath. I was talking to the vet and mentioned it to him, that it’s scald. He said it sounds like codd, and I questioned that as codd starts where the hoof meets the hair whereas scald is white/pink, moist skin between the two hooves, and smells, or that’s what I always thought. He said they are very similar and caused by the very similar bacteria.
    I searched a bit online but couldn’t kind anything to back this up. Anyone agree or hear similar before? Would be disappointed if it was codd ��

I would have thought the same as you. If they have white/pink skin between the hooves, I'd imagine it is scald. Unless the sheep have lesions above the hoof, I don't see why he would say it is CODD.

Would putting straw on top of timber slats be worthwhile to keep the straw dry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭k mac

Is it fenced into paddocks? Teagasc talk about 5 ewes/acre but that’s on good ground with plenty paddocks for rotation grazing.

We’ve a mix of heavy-ish and good ground here and I’d be happy with 3.5 ewes/acre.

But it all depends on your planned system. Wrangler on here has a very high stocking rate I think?

When you say 3.5 ewes/acre do you mean 3.5 ewes plus there lambs, or 3.5 ewes/lambs/hoggets whatever to the acre as that seems very low

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

k mac wrote: »
    When you say 3.5 ewes/acre do you mean 3.5 ewes plus there lambs, or 3.5 ewes/lambs/hoggets whatever to the acre as that seems very low

3.5 ewes plus lambs/hoggets after that. So, 20 acres would carry 70 ewes plus lambs and hoggets

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Is it gone to late to sow forage rape into stubble ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Young95 wrote: »

I put in some last Wed, and even then I kinda knew twas nearly too late... I think after the 1st Sept you’re up against it really...

If we got a very kind autumn, i might get some kinda crop...

I have it in my head you’re in Donegal? I would have said it would be too late up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

Young95 wrote: »

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

I put in some last Wed, and even then I kinda knew twas nearly too late... I think after the 1st Sept you’re up against it really...

If we got a very kind autumn, i might get some kinda crop...

I have it in my head you’re in Donegal? I would have said it would be too late up there?

No north tipp !! Only cut corn yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Are we due a payment some a these days lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

thoughts on running lambs over the winter and get away from lambing

Lambman wrote: »
    Are we due a payment some a these days lads?

ANC is usually around this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Anyone any factory quotes for this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Had 2 lambs struck today. Put clik extra on at the start of the summer, so it must be wearing off now. Is there much left in the flystrike season ? Temperature meant to be dropping over next few days. Very frustrating, really hate flystrike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

Had 2 lambs struck today. Put clik extra on at the start of the summer, so it must be wearing off now. Is there much left in the flystrike season ? Temperature meant to be dropping over next few days. Very frustrating, really hate flystrike

I had a fly strike on the 3rd week of October last year.

Bought ewe lambs that were on a covexin 10 programme, but I use heptavac p here. I assume I'll have to give them 2 shots of heptavac p now for them to be covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Bought ewe lambs that were on a covexin 10 programme, but I use heptavac p here. I assume I'll have to give them 2 shots of heptavac p now for them to be covered?

Is the only difference between them cover for pasteurella?

If so - have you lost any lambs due to pasteurella, that would suggest you need to vaccinate for it?

I would question if doing them with heptavac would be worth it?

Edit - It’s an interesting topic, nearly worth a thread of its own - Covexin8 vs Covexin10 vs Heptavac P vs Tribovax10...

Is the only difference between them cover for pasteurella?

If so - have you lost any lambs due to pasteurella, that would suggest you need to vaccinate for it?

I would question if doing them with heptavac would be worth it?

Edit - It’s an interesting topic, nearly worth a thread of its own - Covexin8 vs Covexin10 vs Heptavac P vs Tribovax10...

Ya heptavac covers pasturella, whereas Covexin 10 covers for 2 extra clostridial diseases, We were using covexin but lost lambs from pasturella, so we switched to heptavac. Very interesting topic indeed.

Ya heptavac covers pasturella, whereas Covexin 10 covers for 2 extra clostridial diseases, We were using covexin but lost lambs from pasturella, so we switched to heptavac. Very interesting topic indeed.

We started getting a few cases of sardellii which is only covered by Covexin 10, so we changed for a few years but had to use Ovipast for Pnuemonia as well as we had more cases of Pnuemonia when we stopped the Heptavac P
    We changed back to Heptavac about four years ago and no sardelli since

We always post mortem here as it costs about the same as the knackery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

We started getting a few cases of sardellii which is only covered by Covexin 10, so we changed for a few years but had to use Ovipast for Pnuemonia as well as we had more cases of Pnuemonia when we stopped the Heptavac P

Are you close enough to a lab?

Are you close enough to a lab?

25mls on motorway, 15 mls to the knackery

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thefareast

What does the lab charge for a pm?

• Advertisement

thefareast wrote: »
    What does the lab charge for a pm?

It's a peculiar set up, we pay the lab €5 for the disposal of the carcase and pay our vet €16 and that's just for him referring, he has to notify the lab that we're bringing one and he pays them for the PM
    Knackery charges €20 from about 30kg up for sheep

Advertisement