Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

rangler1 wrote: »
    Leaflet for the walk said that the litter size was 1.98 and the lambs reared was 1.54, I don't really understand it but it diidn't make sense to me

Thats quite a low wean if scanning that high, i do a lot of work for my neighbour who is also in the cpt scheme, the ai leaves a good few more ewes barren than natural service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Thats quite a low wean if scanning that high, i do a lot of work for my neighbour who is also in the cpt scheme, the ai leaves a good few more ewes barren than natural service

will they not go in lamb on the next heat

will they not go in lamb on the next heat

Some will but definitely 80% of the barrens are mostly repeats from the ai last year anyway

Some will but definitely 80% of the barrens are mostly repeats from the ai last year anyway

We often had ewes that wouldn't repeat for 35 days if they didn't hold to first service when we'd be sponging, but would usually go in lamb then.
    I'd be blaming the fact that we were so far out of season, ie 20th july

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Leaflet for the walk said that the litter size was 1.98 and the lambs reared was 1.54, I don't really understand it but it diidn't make sense to me

litter size refers to the lambs per ewes in lamb so like if you scanned 100 lambs from 50 ewes you get a litter size of 2.00

But lambs reared is the number weaned per ewe to ram so with the same group as above lets say 60 ewes went to ram and 10 didn't go in lamb and we lost 10 lambs up to weaning the lambs reared would be 1.5 (90 weaned / 60 to ram)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 spudeater

Talking after and the weaning rate per ewe lambed was 1.75

spudeater wrote: »
    Talking after and the weaning rate per ewe lambed was 1.75

That sounds more like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

First maggots of the year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

First maggots of the year :(

Around the 1st of July, I dipped 180 lambs and I didn't dip about 60 lambs that were fit to go to the factory within the next month. I brought 14 to the factory that evening so I had around 45 left. So far out of them 180 lambs not one had maggots but out of the ones that were not dipped, I've had around 8 with maggots and now them lambs won't be fit for the factory for at least another month. That is one in every six lambs that wasn't dipped that got maggots :( . If anything you are lucky you didn't get them earlier. Had a Ewe with maggots too last week so I'm hoping to dip them when the weather allows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Had a ram go lame last week so I decided to give him the full treatment, footbath, spray and then copper sulphate in a glove and taped it onto him.
    Took the glove off him after a few days and he was worse than he was at the start kept footbathing him and now puss has burst out. Dad reckons he's been favouring that foot for a long time and the glove drew the infection out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

If I sell a purebred ram lamb and have the papers for him in my name do I just give it till mart auctioneer and they sort it or how's it done

Lambman wrote: »
    If I sell a purebred ram lamb and have the papers for him in my name do I just give it till mart auctioneer and they sort it or how's it done

Yea, you can give the pedigree cert to the mart on the day with the movement dockets, they'll give it to the new owner

ganmo wrote: »
    Had a ram go lame last week so I decided to give him the full treatment, footbath, spray and then copper sulphate in a glove and taped it onto him.
    Took the glove off him after a few days and he was worse than he was at the start kept footbathing him and now puss has burst out. Dad reckons he's been favouring that foot for a long time and the glove drew the infection out

Did you give him along acting antibiotic injection, he probably needs one to cure it properly if it's as bad as you say.
    It wont be long until he's needed to work

Yea, you can give the pedigree cert to the mart on the day with the movement dockets, they'll give it to the new owner
    Thanks rangler makes more sense that way as the auctioneer will be fit till read out the stars as well... or would he need telling?

Thanks rangler makes more sense that way as the auctioneer will be fit till read out the stars as well... or would he need telling?

If it's a pedigree sale, it'll be written in the catalogue on the day and he'll be referring to the catalogue while he's selling as will the customers......,is it a pedigree sale you're bringing them to.
    What breed are you breeding

No was just gonna sell in local mart I don't breed but I bought 12 purebred texel ram lambs as I need 6 or 7 and wanted till buy from the one farm so I'm gonna pick the best till keep and sell the rest.

No was just gonna sell in local mart I don't breed but I bought 12 purebred texel ram lambs as I need 6 or 7 and wanted till buy from the one farm so I'm gonna pick the best till keep and sell the rest.

Well then keep the certs and give to the auctioneer to read out as they come into the ring......a word of warning though, the stars they had 12 mths ago probably won't be what they have now, a farmer that buys your ram and then looks up their stars and finds out they're 3 star instead of 5 star will not be pleased and wold be entitled to a refund....stars are changing all the time

They were only registered a week ago as there lambs so I'd imagine there not gonna change in next couple months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭DJ98

What type of meal do people feed to rams and why do some say in the bag not suitable for breeding rams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

DJ98 wrote: »
    What type of meal do people feed to rams and why do some say in the bag not suitable for breeding rams?

never feed with the exception of bought in lamb rams in that case lamb creep or finishing ration

some ewe rations contain cal mag which can cause problems with males

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Did you give him along acting antibiotic injection, he probably needs one to cure it properly if it's as bad as you say.
    It wont be long until he's needed to work

yup
    he won't be working till october but its hitting him hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Anyone know what llyens x's would be like to lamb outdoors in lowland conditions ?

They were only registered a week ago as there lambs so I'd imagine there not gonna change in next couple months?

I took them to be lambs you bought last year

Anyone know what llyens x's would be like to lamb outdoors in lowland conditions ?

I have no experience with Lleyn's but I was reading about them on another thread recently. A few people were saying the lambs are very quick to get up and suck. They all seemed very impressed with them. I'm also fairly sure they originated from western wales which would be an upland area so they should be fairly hardy. But as I said, I have no experience with them.
    If next spring is anything like last spring, there will be huge loses on outdoor lambing flocks. We have been lambing outdoors ( except Ewe Lambs and hoggets) for years, but never again after the terrible weather we had in March.

They're very maternal, great at fussing over their lambs after being born,
    They seem to have great room in their pelvis, often saw a year old hogget lamb a lamb with a leg back.
    If your getting suspicious you're right, clearance sale here on the 9th september in tullamore mart, approx 300 1, 2 and 3 yearold lleyn x ewes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

They're very maternal,
    If your getting suspicious you're right, clearance sale here on the 9th september in tullamore mart, approx 300 1, 2 and 3 yearold lleyn x ewes

you'll have no shortage of takers for that stock rangler. Seen the pics you've posted over time here of them. Great conformity in them and healthy looking stock. Best of luck on the day.
    My own flock has about 20 % of the ewes are llyen x's , that will go to about 40% this year as the home breed ewe lambs are introduced. Running the llyen ram here, going into his 3rd season this year. Not the biggest sheep, but find them good productive sheep to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

you'll have no shortage of takers for that stock rangler. Seen the pics you've posted over time here of them. Great conformity in them and healthy looking stock. Best of luck on the day.
    My own flock has about 20 % of the ewes are llyen x's , that will go to about 40% this year as the home breed ewe lambs are introduced. Running the llyen ram here, going into his 3rd season this year. Not the biggest sheep, but find them good productive sheep to work with.

You must have awful high scanning rates with lleyn Ewes x lleyn Ram?

• Advertisement

You must have awful high scanning rates with lleyn Ewes x lleyn Ram?

Not yet. All my llyen x's are out of my llyen ram and put to either a texel or Charley. The oldest ones are only two years old and hoggets with a larger number of ewelambs coming though for this coming October . Have other problems here like low ph and p &k's that have kept the rates down low. But as these are fixed , hoping the llyens should give near enough to a constant 2.

Advertisement