Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads, just brought a couple of lambs in as I thought they were fly struck. No maggots on them but skin is a bit scabby in places and wool is falling off. I presume its either scab or lice? Any idea to tell the difference and how to treat without dipping? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Tileman

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads, just brought a couple of lambs in as I thought they were fly struck. No maggots on them but skin is a bit scabby in places and wool is falling off. I presume its either scab or lice? Any idea to tell the difference and how to treat without dipping? Thanks

I’m about to head out and bring in two bunches of lambs. Couple of lambs after getting them them on past day or 2.
    Gone unbelievably dirty in last week. May dose them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

arctictree wrote: »
    Had the same thing last year. I injected them with dectomax. Powerful job. I got a mobile sheep spray contractor this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Tileman wrote: »
    I’m about to head out and bring in two bunches of lambs. Couple of lambs after getting them them on past day or 2.
    Gone unbelievably dirty in last week. May dose them as well.

Put in two Suffolk rams yesterday evening and sprayed dip on them with knapsack can,as they had got fierce dirty of their ends in last fortnight, were on lush grass but are not overly fed for the bit of good ground they were on.....wonder would they have a worm burden?

Were last dosed on the 20th of July with Albex which covers Fluke and worms,they also got a Mineral dose then as well.
    Wonder should I give them a fluke and worm dose again now...….Or I could just go with Flukivor this time around?....if I dosed them now couldn't I dose them again on around the 20th of October before letting them out with the ewes to have their fun?

Thanks for any thoughts on best dose to give now...

PS-if you were to try and do a faecal sample from them and bring it to the vet how long does it take the vet to test it and get results?

Could drop them down to vet later this evening...how much does it cost to get a sample done?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Put in two Suffolk rams yesterday evening and sprayed dip on them with knapsack can,as they had got fierce dirty of their ends in last fortnight, were on lush grass but are not overly fed for the bit of good ground they were on.....wonder would they have a worm burden?

Were last dosed on the 20th of July with Albex which covers Fluke and worms,they also got a Mineral dose then as well.
    Wonder should I give them a fluke and worm dose again now...….Or I could just go with Flukivor this time around?....if I dosed them now couldn't I dose them again on around the 20th of October before letting them out with the ewes to have their fun?

PS-if you were to try and do a faecal sample from them and bring it to the vet how long does it take the vet to test it and get results?

Could drop them down to vet later this evening...how much does it cost to get a sample done?

Combination doses aren't ideal, it's better to use a specific fluke dose, you should discuss it with your vet. Adult sheep shouldn't need to be dosed for worms, healthy adult suffolk sheep always have high worm counts and survive, it doesn't seem to do any harm,
    This isn't the time of year for fluke dosing either, as I say discuss it with your vet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Saw a advertisement video pop up on my phone the other day for some medical company saying barbers pole ain't covered by the white dose, but yellow or clear would do it. Said signs are similiar to fluke, with weak lambs or bottle neck and can kill lambs, would this be the time of year for them wrangler ? Was going to use the clear / yellow next time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TommieG90

Hi, Purchased hogget's last may for breeding, was told there on Heptavac P, would it be worth doing them again this time of year before they go to the ram or wait until before lambing? They have been injected for enzo and toxo allready, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Found this tipperary lad who makes podcast, if anyones interested

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3hZSmC1hLjp1fWiWgGGQf2?si=ZZv2M34ST_uYLsRjZG0ERw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

TommieG90 wrote: »
    Hi, Purchased hogget's last may for breeding, was told there on Heptavac P, would it be worth doing them again this time of year before they go to the ram or wait until before lambing? They have been injected for enzo and toxo allready, thanks

We would give them their annual booster about 4 weeks pre-lambing. We use Heptavec-P here but I think Ovipast can be used as the booster since it is a similar product that also covers pastuerella.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

We would give them their annual booster about 4 weeks pre-lambing. We use Heptavec-P here but I think Ovipast can be used as the booster since it is a similar product that also covers pastuerella.

Ovipast only covers pasteurellosis, it's not an eight in one

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    Ovipast only covers pasteurellosis, it's not an eight in one

OK, fair enough.

Pasturella is the only one we had issues with here so that's probably why it's been working OK. Might switch to Heptavec-P again for the booster thou just for the extra coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

I dropped dung samples into Farmlab in Elphin on a Monday and had the results back by the end of the week. I'm fairly sure it cost €15 for the samples. Suffolks are hard to keep clean anyways, and I find a shot of copper is more effective than any dose for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

I dropped dung samples into Farmlab in Elphin on a Monday and had the results back by the end of the week. I'm fairly sure it cost €15 for the samples. Suffolks are hard to keep clean anyways, and I find a shot of copper is more effective than any dose for them.

How do you give the copper

jd06 wrote: »

We supplement with copper here from a bolus but copper tablets and injections can be got as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

jd06 wrote: »

Could mix bluestone

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

How long do you have to hold onto purchased sheep for till you can sell them on again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I said I'd fire up the link to todays seminar on the Teagasc virtual sheep week on fattening store lambs, afaik it's mostly mountain stores and crosses they're discussing.
    https://youtu.be/3mtGvKGHvrQ

Could mix bluestone

Heard of lads doing this before. Do you do it this way yourself? Would be interested to know mixing rates etc.

Heard of lads doing this before. Do you do it this way yourself? Would be interested to know mixing rates etc.

Sheep can't store copper so dosing would only last a fortnight,
    Injection or bolus would last months..

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

I need to buy some hoggets and my usual supplier has gotten out of sheep so need to go to the mart. Can I just turn up with my cheque book and herd number and buy or do I need to register with them first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Tileman

Oldira wrote: »
    I need to buy some hoggets and my usual supplier has gotten out of sheep so need to go to the mart. Can I just turn up with my cheque book and herd number and buy or do I need to register with them first?

Usually make yourself known to the manager or sign up in the office beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I’m going to rent a shed to house sheep for winter....I will supply straw, hay and look after them and leave shed as I found it.....how do I put a price on this.....like per head per week or has anyone done similar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Oldira wrote: »

What part of country are you? I know a man in south tipp with plenty hoggets left..pm if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

No, no suffolk at home but when they were mixing cobalt they used add copper, don't know the rates

I said I'd fire up the link to todays seminar on the Teagasc virtual sheep week on fattening store lambs, afaik it's mostly mountain stores and crosses they're discussing.
    https://youtu.be/3mtGvKGHvrQ

It's about sheep health tonight, Tommy the vet heffernan is supposed to be on, always worth listening to

My mind is gone blank here - what’s the name of that stuff beginning with “L” that’s used to treat foot rot or CODD?

It can be injected or used in a footbath.

Liconion or linocin - something like that I think

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

My mind is gone blank here - what’s the name of that stuff beginning with “L” that’s used to treat foot rot or CODD?

It can be injected or used in a footbath.

Liconion or linocin - something like that I think

Lincospectin

gazahayes wrote: »
    Lincospectin

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

How are yer lambs thriving folks?

Weighed a few of my store lambs there today, disappointed with the weight gain over the last few weeks...

They being moved around on fresh grass every few days - now I know the grass is watery enough now this time of year, but I would have expected then to do a bit better...

• Advertisement

How are yer lambs thriving folks?

Weighed a few of my store lambs there today, disappointed with the weight gain over the last few weeks...

They being moved around on fresh grass every few days - now I know the grass is watery enough now this time of year, but I would have expected then to do a bit better...

A kg/week or a little more on grass alone is about average for this time of year, a bit depressing at times. With us the lambs that are around this time of year are the poor thrivers anyway.
    We've 25% of our lambs left so have them pushed up to kg/day of meal in an effort to get rid

Advertisement