Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

How are yer lambs thriving folks?

Weighed a few of my store lambs there today, disappointed with the weight gain over the last few weeks...

They being moved around on fresh grass every few days - now I know the grass is watery enough now this time of year, but I would have expected then to do a bit better...

Grass only doesn't cut the mustard, even half a pound would help them big time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Grass only doesn't cut the mustard, even half a pound would help them big time

Yeah, am debating it... A few lambs didn’t put on hardly any weight In the last 3 weeks...
    They aren’t dirty, and don’t look washed out in the wool or anything... I gave them a homemade mineral dose anyways, see would that help them along...

On the meal feeding - I was hoping to avoid it as would have to feed them in troughs - which would be a pain...

But, as you say Charolais, it might be necessary...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Yeah, am debating it... A few lambs didn’t put on hardly any weight In the last 3 weeks...
    They aren’t dirty, and don’t look washed out in the wool or anything... I gave them a homemade mineral dose anyways, see would that help them along...

On the meal feeding - I was hoping to avoid it as would have to feed them in troughs - which would be a pain...

Think of it as insurance

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

wrangler wrote: »
    A kg/week or a little more on grass alone is about average for this time of year, a bit depressing at times. With us the lambs that are around this time of year are the poor thrivers anyway.
    We've 25% of our lambs left so have them pushed up to kg/day of meal in an effort to get rid

How much meal would you start then on wrangler? And how many weeks would it take to build them up ? Surely a kg/day for lambs at this time of year is abit much no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Young95 wrote: »
    How much meal would you start then on wrangler? And how many weeks would it take to build them up ? Surely a kg/day for lambs at this time of year is abit much no ?

I'm using an advantage feeder, they can't eat too much at a time with that so don't sicken.
    They were getting .25kg/day after weaning and started increasing about three weeks ago and they are just at a kg now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I'm using an advantage feeder, they can't eat too much at a time with that so don't sicken.
    They were getting .25kg/day after weaning and started increasing about three weeks ago and they are just at a kg now

Given the store price atm, would you be tempted to just cash them in, versus cost of mealing them ?

Given the store price atm, would you be tempted to just cash them in, versus cost of mealing them ?

No, I always stick it out to the bitter end,
    In my time at sheep I've hit more bad days in marts than good ones so I just got sick of them. Never would go to them now

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Was considering one of these. Have you it out in the field. Any issue with rain getting in where they lick the feed and clocking it up . Are you putting grain through it or a sheep nut.

Any good for feeding ewes coming up to lambing. Would reduce ewes hurting themselves at troughs

Thanks

No, I always stick it out to the bitter end,
    In my time at sheep I've hit more bad days in marts than good ones so I just got sick of them. Never would go to them now

Ya I hear you, every year I'm too stubborn to give up on them as well and keep going no matter what. Ain't always the right decision, but there you go.

foxirl wrote: »
    Was considering one of these. Have you it out in the field. Any issue with rain getting in where the lick the feed and clocking it up . Are you putting grain through it or a sheep nut.

Thanks

It does clog a bit in wet weather but it's not a problen , it even comes with a scraper, I use a pellet and the dust element attracts the moisture. probably would work better with whole grain.
    We put the end facing the prevailing wind rather than the side, you'd have to pull the scraper along the little troughs about every two or three days in bad weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Are these lambs you bought or your own that you want shifted?

foxirl wrote: »
    Was considering one of these. Have you it out in the field. Any issue with rain getting in where they lick the feed and clocking it up . Are you putting grain through it or a sheep nut.

Any good for feeding ewes coming up to lambing. Would reduce ewes hurting themselves at troughs

Thanks

Yea, I fed my ewe lambs one year right up to a fortnight before lambing, one ewe out of 120 went thin, obviously hadn't figured out the feeder

razor8 wrote: »
    Are these lambs you bought or your own that you want shifted?

Lambs I bought...

Will be keeping them til next year. No rush to sell or finish them - but at the same time, want to keep them moving on too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Lincospectin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Lambs I bought...

Will be keeping them til next year. No rush to sell or finish them - but at the same time, want to keep them moving on too...

Once there ticking along on good grass theyll be fine. Once the spring grass comes they pile on the weight.

Most important thing now is that you have dosed properly

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭rule supreme

Is Lincospectin only available off a vet .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

What's the best bolus to give ewes pre tipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

DJ98 wrote: »

Agrimin 24/7. or. Animax all sure

razor8 wrote: »
    Once there ticking along on good grass theyll be fine. Once the spring grass comes they pile on the weight.

Most important thing now is that you have dosed properly

They are dosed, and they are all clean enough... They are fine and healthy looking...
    The way they looked, I thought they were motoring along as you say. But then when weighed, I was disappointed...

They got a cobalt dose, but I am thinking of getting them a mineral dose with selenium... will get some and give it to them next weekend...

I won’t have grass for too long more, another month will see me out - so they’ll be on their winter rations then...

But would like to find out if and what the issue is now, as I feel something is not quite right...

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

We gave the mayo healthcare bolus the last 2 years and very happy with it.

• Advertisement

They are dosed, and they are all clean enough... They are fine and healthy looking...
    The way they looked, I thought they were motoring along as you say. But then when weighed, I was disappointed...

They got a cobalt dose, but I am thinking of getting them a mineral dose with selenium... will get some and give it to them next weekend...

I won’t have grass for too long more, another month will see me out - so they’ll be on their winter rations then...

But would like to find out if and what the issue is now, as I feel something is not quite right...

Could be worth getting a blood test and it might show up any deficiencies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Can that be bought online anywhere?

Gave the store lambs the lamb bolus from Mayo this year, for first time...
    This one - https://www.mayohealthcare.ie/product-details.php?ID=8&cat=2

I used the 4 in 1 for ewes last year for the store lambs...
    This one - https://www.mayohealthcare.ie/product-details.php?ID=62&cat=2

So, maybe I need to go back to the ewe bolus for the store lambs...

If you ring mayo, they will give you the number of your local rep and you can order off them.
    I think agridirect have them as well...

Could be worth getting a blood test and it might show up any deficiencies

I’ll try the mineral dose with selenium and see how I get on...

There’s probably a bit of quare-ness coming into play to try to figure it out myself as well... ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

I’ll try the mineral dose with selenium and see how I get on...

There’s probably a bit of quare-ness coming into play to try to figure it out myself as well... ;):)

I use "Grovite Sheep" regularly here. Our ground here would be low in several minerals and high in molybdenum. I find it really good. If thrive was dropping off or If I saw a few ears getting "scaley", a dose of grovite would get things back on track again.

Sheepproducts.ie has them along with a good range of products

Sheepproducts.ie has them along with a good range of products

Bought some stuff off them recently. Very decent to deal with and stuff arrived the following day .

I use "Grovite Sheep" regularly here. Our ground here would be low in several minerals and high in molybdenum. I find it really good. If thrive was dropping off or If I saw a few ears getting "scaley", a dose of grovite would get things back on track again.

Used it before, found it ok if a bit expensive - but like everything, if it works it cheap after...

I ordered some Cobalt B12 with selenium from this crowd...
    https://www.gibsonsonline.ie/product/cobalt-b12-1l?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7YCq0I-K7AIVUc3tCh1g0w7MEAQYASABEgKFUvD_BwE

I am low in cobalt, so I dose them with a homemade cobalt sulphate mix...
    But this doesn’t have selenium - so going to go with the above and see what happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Trying it this year for the first time. How long before the ram goes out do you give it?

• Advertisement

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Trying it this year for the first time. How long before the ram goes out do you give it?

3 weeks.

Advertisement