Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭k mac

Does a flock number automatically cancel if it hasn't been used in a few years. I got one 6 years ago I had a herd number already but have not bought any sheep since

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

k mac wrote: »
    Does a flock number automatically cancel if it hasn't been used in a few years. I got one 6 years ago I had a herd number already but have not bought any sheep since

I'd be guessing it depends on the Dept's policy at any given time. Which may change a year later. And then change back again the following year.

It's admin and paperwork so best to ring your local Dept office and check

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Does anyone know the calculation used for nitrates on an all sheep farm? Got a letter out today till say I'm getting cut 20% as I was over it in 2019... inwas stocking higher than previous years and buying and finishing inside aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lambman wrote: »
    Does anyone know the calculation used for nitrates on an all sheep farm? Got a letter out today till say I'm getting cut 20% as I was over it in 2019... inwas stocking higher than previous years and buying and finishing inside aswell.

You'll get it on page 44 of this link

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/ruralenvironment/environment/nitrates/2018Nitratesexplanatoryhandbook03042018.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

k mac wrote: »

If you have a herd number you can buy sheep even if you haven’t had sheep for a few years the “flock number doesn’t go dormant”.

But if you have a herd number with cattle and sheep then sell the cattle and only keep sheep your “herd number for cattle” will go dormant even though you have sheep.....I assume it’s something to do with TB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

How would a person go about finding winter grazing for sheep?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

DJ98 wrote: »
    How would a person go about finding winter grazing for sheep?

Local auctioneers, wanted ad on done deal or a local paper, word of mouth, ad on notice board local mart ect..

Might sound like a ridiculous question but got the mayo healthcare bolus for ewes, question is do you put the yellow capsule in the applicator and straight down the throat? Or do open them up it's just that they seem awful big

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Might sound like a ridiculous question but got the mayo healthcare bolus for ewes, question is do you put the yellow capsule in the applicator and straight down the throat? Or do open them up it's just that they seem awful big

The bolus gun that I have won’t fit the yellow tablet - so I have to open them, and put the two little capsules into the gun...

I think you can get a bigger bolus gun I think, but I just worked with what I had...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

put them down whole with the applicator,the minute they get wet the disolve and the metal filing are left...i found those particular bolus useless...blooded ewes 6 weeks after application and the trace element levels didn't improve

• Advertisement

put them down whole with the applicator,the minute they get wet the disolve and the metal filing are left...i found those particular bolus useless...blooded ewes 6 weeks after application and the trace element levels didn't improve

That's interesting...

Used em before, and I thought they were ok... Used em again, and I felt they didnt last - ewes looked short of cobalt after about 3 months or so...

I think some people have said here before that they are going back to regular mineral dosing. I know its a bit of a pain, but it probably is the best really... Prob going that way myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

never had much faith in them myself, that why I recommended agrimin or animax a few posts back,

The bolus gun that I have won’t fit the yellow tablet - so I have to open them, and put the two little capsules into the gun...

I think you can get a bigger bolus gun I think, but I just worked with what I had...

would they really be slow release if you broke them, they'd ssurely go through them very quick

Was dosing and bolusing ewes here today, when in the race some ewes jumped out before they got there treatment (about 7 in total) and mixed with those that had been done? I marked any ewes that had been done after this happening but if I gather them in again to treat the once missed would I do harm if ended up doing the same ewe twice or would it be best just to leave them be?

wrangler wrote: »
    would they really be slow release if you broke them, they'd ssurely go through them very quick

No, they come as two small bolus that are in one plastic capsule...
    I just dump the outer plastic capsule...

You're right, OH has just informed of that too about mayo, we've never used them

We're dipping tomorrow, good weather forecast, hope it's right

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

I use the mayo healthcare bolus but they are only one capsule.
    https://sheepproducts.ie/collections/mineral-vitamins-1/products/allguard-sheep-5-in-1-bolus

I find things improved here very much since I started using them, but I'm sure animax are just as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Was dosing and bolusing ewes here today, when in the race some ewes jumped out before they got there treatment (about 7 in total) and mixed with those that had been done? I marked any ewes that had been done after this happening but if I gather them in again to treat the once missed would I do harm if ended up doing the same ewe twice or would it be best just to leave them be?

I'd be leaving them alone, DJ. Depending on what's in the boluses, there could be a slight chance of overdosing with some minerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

I use the mayo healthcare bolus but they are only one capsule.
    https://sheepproducts.ie/collections/mineral-vitamins-1/products/allguard-sheep-5-in-1-bolus

I find things improved here very much since I started using them, but I'm sure animax are just as good.

I might have said this before
    But I had a ewe died3 months after giving hhe bolus. The foxes got to her before I did and the bolus was on the ground in its original state it wasn't worn away or dissolved
    I rang mayo health care and got a rep. He said they dont dissolve
    So how do they work???
    I'm baffeled

• Advertisement

jd06 wrote: »
    I might have said this before
    But I had a ewe died3 months after giving hhe bolus. The foxes got to her before I did and the bolus was on the ground in its original state it wasn't worn away or dissolved
    I rang mayo health care and got a rep. He said they dont dissolve
    So how do they work???
    I'm baffeled

Interesting and I've heard a few with similar stories, Nothing is as effective as the manufacturer says but I genuinely seen a difference and I'd have no problem saying if I didn't. I understood that they dissolved too. If I lose a ewe within the next few weeks, I'll check her out of curiosity.

Interesting and I've heard a few with similar stories, Nothing is as effective as the manufacturer says but I genuinely seen a difference and I'd have no problem saying if I didn't. I understood that they dissolved too. If I lose a ewe within the next few weeks, I'll check her out of curiosity.

Well, if they work for you, that’s all that matters really...

Jjameson wrote: »
    If they have a placebo effect on your brain?

Hard to put a value on peace of mind :)

You have a point though Jameson - you do tend to think “bolus done, no need to worry about that for months now”

Spotted 3 lambs with pinkeye here this morning, just wondering what may have caused it? Lambs are on grass and being fed no silage or concentrates. Had it before with ewes on silage but never seen it happening in sheep at grass...

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Spotted 3 lambs with pinkeye here this morning, just wondering what may have caused it? Lambs are on grass and being fed no silage or concentrates. Had it before with ewes on silage but never seen it happening in sheep at grass...

Inject straight away with alamicine and put them in isolation straight away ! I had a huge outbreak of it here couple weeks back . Spread through the whole flock

Young95 wrote: »
    Inject straight away with alamicine and put them in isolation straight away ! I had a huge outbreak of it here couple weeks back . Spread through the whole flock

Its a bad dose alright, same thing happened to us here in 2018 in ewes that were on silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

Its a bad dose alright, same thing happened to us here in 2018 in ewes that were on silage.
    What causes it?.. If not inside or on silage..

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

kk.man wrote: »
    What causes it?.. If not inside or on silage..

Basically if a sheep gets prod in there eye or picks up the bacteria in ditches etc .. but it’s the flys that spread it outdoors by landing from one sheep’s face and going to the next one and so on .

We're dipping tomorrow, good weather forecast, hope it's right

Weather stayed good anyway, He had the same sort of dipper that the guys with the lorries have, sheep go into a cage and the cage put into a tank. He did 300 in about two hours, myself and a neighbour brought our flocks together, his jeep trailer carries 50 ewes so I brought mine to his place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Weather stayed good anyway, He had the same sort of dipper that the guys with the lorries have, sheep go into a cage and the cage put into a tank. He did 300 in about two hours, myself and a neighbour brought our flocks together, his jeep trailer carries 50 ewes so I brought mine to his place

What's the cost per ewe. Father has a tub but this might be an easier option. Feel free to pm if you don't want to post price. Thanks

Advertisement