Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

foxirl wrote: »
    What's the cost per ewe. Father has a tub but this might be an easier option. Feel free to pm if you don't want to post price. Thanks

My neighbour owed me money so he paid him so I don't know at the moment, he was charging €1.60/ewe last year, he only uses that dipper on big numbers but he has a smaller one as well. His name's Kevin Sheridan from Oldcastle, I'm trying to get up a photo

Here's him dipping for Shaun Diver, manager of Tullamore Farm

https://twitter.com/diver_shaun/status/1182714430259453952

This is him with the small dipper he used here last year

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=352785595465674

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Spotted 3 lambs with pinkeye here this morning, just wondering what may have caused it? Lambs are on grass and being fed no silage or concentrates. Had it before with ewes on silage but never seen it happening in sheep at grass...

Have it here as well in ewes. Meant to be widespread this year. According to my vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Have it here as well in ewes. Meant to be widespread this year. According to my vet.

What are you treating them with? This is the stuff we are using
    https://www.interchem.ie/index.php/products/large-animal/injectable-antibiotics/procycline-la-detail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Tileman

wrangler wrote: »
    My neighbour owed me money so he paid him so I don't know at the moment, he was charging €1.60/ewe last year, he only uses that dipper on big numbers but he has a smaller one as well. His name's Kevin Sheridan from Oldcastle, I'm trying to get up a photo

[

Fairly terrifying for the sheep. I nearly drowned as a young fella so have an awful fear of a situation like that.

I’d say the ewes won’t forget the next year either it will be harder to get them back up

Even in the conventional dipping baths you have to push their heads under, otherwise the treatment isn't effective

• Advertisement

Young95 wrote: »
    Inject straight away with alamicine and put them in isolation straight away ! I had a huge outbreak of it here couple weeks back . Spread through the whole flock

Your clothing will spread it as well, so a change of clothes (and wash them!) each time you handle anything infected with it. It's a right effing dose and I hate seeing it. Usually comes here if we get hard windy sleety weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Selling Store lambs to a neighbour just wondering what’s the story with tags ? Is the double tag set only thing a loud Or is a single blue wrap around tag aloud ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Young95 wrote: »
    Selling Store lambs to a neighbour just wondering what’s the story with tags ? Is the double tag set only thing a loud Or is a single blue wrap around tag aloud ?

Blue tag is for rumen blouses sheep arent they?
    Double tag is the only way when selling to another farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

ganmo wrote: »
    Blue tag is for rumen blouses sheep arent they?
    Double tag is the only way when selling to another farmer

No there the bubble wrap around factory tag

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jd310

Probably been asked before but whats the best mineral dose for ewes before the ram, I know theres one with a noted improvement but cant remember the name of it at all.

• Advertisement

Looking for some advice. Got Scab here in Spring after a dealers lamb broke in and thought we had got rid of it. Starting to see it coming back into ewes now. These ewes were pulled from the rams today after running with them 5 weeks. What's the best thing to do with them?
    Would ivermectin injections be my best bet or would I be better dipping in a few weeks? I'd imagine they'd lose lambs if I was to dip them now.

Looking for some advice. Got Scab here in Spring after a dealers lamb broke in and thought we had got rid of it. Starting to see it coming back into ewes now. These ewes were pulled from the rams today after running with them 5 weeks. What's the best thing to do with them?
    Would ivermectin injections be my best bet or would I be better dipping in a few weeks? I'd imagine they'd lose lambs if I was to dip them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Jd310 wrote: »
    Probably been asked before but whats the best mineral dose for ewes before the ram, I know theres one with a noted improvement but cant remember the name of it at all.

We use turbo

I could never get ivermectin to cure scab, it'd control it for a short while only , did you dip or inject the last time, It was the reason that I built my own dipping bath ,
    It flared up in my flock just before lambing after injecting it twice during the pregnancy so when the lambing was over I built the bath and dipped them.
    Surprising enough the 3 and 4 week old lambs were able to swim well, they couldn't handle the steps though and they had to be pulled out.
    Like you it was a stray lamb gave it to them, he fell out of a lorry and a kind neighbour caught him and put him into my field

I could never get ivermectin to cure scab, it'd control it for a short while only , did you dip or inject the last time, It was the reason that I built my own dipping bath ,
    It flared up in my flock just before lambing after injecting it twice during the pregnancy so when the lambing was over I built the bath and dipped them.
    Surprising enough the 3 and 4 week old lambs were able to swim well, they couldn't handle the steps though and they had to be pulled out.
    Like you it was a stray lamb gave it to them, he fell out of a lorry and a kind neighbour caught him and put him into my field

Dipped the last time, I think where I went wrong was introducing sheep back into the same fields too soon after dipping. I heard Ivermectin wasn't very effective before but have never used it. I built a dipping tub myself here 3 years ago but I'm thinking about getting someone to dip them with a setup similar to what you posted yesterday as it should be a bit easier on them. I don't think I'll do anything with them for another few weeks anyways until the lambs are more developed and less risk of losing them. Have pinkeye spreading among sheep as well as the scab so I've enough hardship at the moment.:)

Dipped the last time, I think where I went wrong was introducing sheep back into the same fields too soon after dipping. I heard Ivermectin wasn't very effective before but have never used it. I built a dipping tub myself here 3 years ago but I'm thinking about getting someone to dip them with a setup similar to what you posted yesterday as it should be a bit easier on them. I don't think I'll do anything with them for another few weeks anyways until the lambs are more developed and less risk of losing them. Have pinkeye spreading among sheep as well as the scab so I've enough hardship at the moment.:)

Yea just copped yesterday that teh neighbour I dipped with has plenty of pinkeye, hope mine don't get it, the dipping should keep the flies off and we had aluminium sulphate in the water, it's supposed to be a sort of disinfectant, helps the feet and skin too

Yea just copped yesterday that teh neighbour I dipped with has plenty of pinkeye, hope mine don't get it, the dipping should keep the flies off and we had aluminium sulphate in the water, it's supposed to be a sort of disinfectant, helps the feet and skin too

He's not a great neighbour if he didn't warn you of that in advance. I see some ewes biting at themselves here, I'll get the plunge dipper in to do them. I told my neighbour about that first as he had asked before about jointly dipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

You have sheep with scab and you're going to do nothing for a few weeks? A recipie for disaster I would think. They are going to loose condition as well as suffering.Hope any dept. person doesn't find out who you are

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

cydectin injection for scab two shots a week apart i think. ivomec needs three shots and plunge dipping at least twice and done properly, showers not worth a sh1te

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    cydectin injection for scab two shots a week apart i think. ivomec needs three shots and plunge dipping at least twice and done properly, showers not worth a sh1te

There probably is a case for using cydectin or ivomec for ewes just after being mated, but if farmers keep using ivermectins on sheep for scab It won't be long until it won't work for worms if used on sheep that don't need worming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I think Doramectin (dectomax) is superior to the ivermectins for treating scab, 2 shots 4 weeks apart.

I try not to use any of the ectin doses here if possible, as well as immunity they have huge biodiversity issues, and kill a lot of good bugs in the soil.

MIKEKC wrote: »
    You have sheep with scab and you're going to do nothing for a few weeks? A recipie for disaster I would think. They are going to loose condition as well as suffering.Hope any dept. person doesn't find out who you are

I would say dipping them now is a recipie for disaster, I'm not going to be stressing out ewes in early pregnancy. Scab isn't too bad yet only beginning to notice it back in the last few days. The department can look at my sheep all they like they won't see any neglected animals.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

orm0nd wrote: »

I try not to use any of the ectin doses here if possible, as well as immunity they have huge biodiversity issues, and kill a lot of good bugs in the soil.

I didn't know it affected soil biology. Does it work thru the animal and then comes out with the urine/poo onto the ground?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I didn't know it affected soil biology. Does it work thru the animal and then comes out with the urine/poo onto the ground?

Attracts critters to the dung then proceeds to kill them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Attracts critters to the dung then proceeds to kill them.

Yeah, kills the dung beetles coming into the pats. And many of the dung beetles have eggs from species that attack stomach worm eggs which die off as well so you end up increasing the worm burden in the fields.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Yeah, kills the dung beetles coming into the pats. And many of the dung beetles have eggs from species that attack stomach worm eggs which die off as well so you end up increasing the worm burden in the fields.

You don't see that in too many ads for the stuff!

Which of the doses might be more beetle-friendly? Or is it just the ivermectin group that has this effect?

Thanks. Another education form boards.ie :)

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Which of the doses might be more beetle-friendly? Or is it just the ivermectin group that has this effect?

Any insecticide will be passed out of the animal in some way and have effects on insects other than the targeted one. Check out Bruce Thompson on the twitter machine, he has some great videos and links going back in his timeline on this.

I suppose the Ivermectins are great at their job but there is a downside to them too. Same with any medicine going into animals, ourselves included. There's going to be some effect down from the point of treatment and it may cause unintended effects.

Factsheet 2

https://www.thebugfarm.co.uk/research-farm/dung-beetles-direct/#:~:text=Dung%20Beetles%20Direct,play%20in%20British%20farming%20systems.&text=They%20have%20an%20essential%20role,well%20as%20reducing%20greenhouse%20gases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

I would say dipping them now is a recipie for disaster, I'm not going to be stressing out ewes in early pregnancy. Scab isn't too bad yet only beginning to notice it back in the last few days. The department can look at my sheep all they like they won't see any neglected animals.

Scab is a notifiable disease. If dept found out I would think they would call it neglect. Why don't you ring dept and see what answer you will get.

• Advertisement

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Scab is a notifiable disease. If dept found out I would think they would call it neglect. Why don't you ring dept and see what answer you will get.

You'd need to be a persistent offender for the department to make trouble for you, they'd even advise on how to manage it.
    I'd leave them a few weeks after taking the ram out and dip then if they weren't bad, when the compulsory dipping was going on it was always during the mating season they came.
    I can't remember any problems if you handled them carefully

Advertisement