Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Scab is a notifiable disease. If dept found out I would think they would call it neglect. Why don't you ring dept and see what answer you will get.

Department has been notified as well as all my neighboring flocks, I'm not trying to hide the fact there is scab in the flock. I'm aware the advice would be to treat immediately, and I would like to dip everything straight away but sometimes you have you take the practical approach rather than going by the book. Like I said, I don't like stressing out ewes after running with the ram. If they were very bad with scab, I'd bite the bullet and dip straight away but I'm only beginning to notice it back in a few ewes again, It's not a case that wool is hanging off them.

Been looking for a Suffolk ram for a while, hadn't seen anything I liked so off I went today and bought a Charollais. Then, as if by magic an hour after I'd bought the Char a rake of Suffolks appear not 35 miles away on DD:pac:

Probably saved myself a ton of hardship next Spring getting the Char.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Department has been notified as well as all my neighboring flocks, I'm not trying to hide the fact there is scab in the flock. I'm aware the advice would be to treat immediately, and I would like to dip everything straight away but sometimes you have you take the practical approach rather than going by the book. Like I said, I don't like stressing out ewes after running with the ram. If they were very bad with scab, I'd bite the bullet and dip straight away but I'm only beginning to notice it back in a few ewes again, It's not a case that wool is hanging off them.

Fair point, but having seen sheep with scab years ago with a neighbour dept called to tell everyone bounding him. He had to dip twice. Thought dept would be more worried about it. It can spread rapidly through flock.

Fair point, but having seen sheep with scab years ago with a neighbour dept called to tell everyone bounding him. He had to dip twice. Thought dept would be more worried about it. It can spread rapidly through flock.

I've the few that I noticed first isolated but to be honest they probably all have it. I'll give them 2 weeks and if they get much worse by then I'll treat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

wrangler wrote: »
    There probably is a case for using cydectin or ivomec for ewes just after being mated, but if farmers keep using ivermectins on sheep for scab It won't be long until it won't work for worms if used on sheep that don't need worming

resistant scab would b much worse........cydectin etc are grossly overused anyway very good reason for them to b POM but it is very effective for scab and probably should b reserved for that purpose as opposed to use as a vermifuge with its detrimental effect on beetles etc in mind.

most dipping operations are badly done and horrendously toxic for operatives and environment.

In terms of dipping pregnant ewes those of us that remember compolsory dipping it did not erradicate scab nor did it leave the national flock barren

• Advertisement

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    In terms of dipping pregnant ewes those of us that remember compolsory dipping it did not erradicate scab nor did it leave the national flock barren

I wonder was that because the dipping process wasn't carried out incorrectly, like sheep not getting the required time in the bath, not having their heads dunked, or the dip mixed at the wrong strength. Got covered in enough of it myself over the years, rather contract someone in now and remove myself from that situation tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭k mac

Can anyone now attend the marts or do you still need to book your place. Aren't alot of the sheep sold in the marts nearly in outdoor pins

k mac wrote: »
    Can anyone now attend the marts or do you still need to book your place. Aren't alot of the sheep sold in the marts nearly in outdoor pins

I emailed my mart on Sunday night or Monday when the level 5 advice broke, asking how it would affect us all, got this in reply

"Hi, with the level 3 the Marts will still be able to operate. They’re viewed as an important part of the food chain. I’d imagine we’ll have an increased DVO presence and Guarda presence to monitor compliance with our SOP. I’m not sure what’ll happen in levels 4& 5, but hopefully with the new online offering we will still be able go trade. "

I would speculate that they may register buyers and only letting buyers into the yard at a predefined time to judge stock after sellers have unloaded. The tire kickers, rail keeper-uppers and hangers arounders can download mart eye.

I wonder was that because the dipping process wasn't carried out incorrectly, like sheep not getting the required time in the bath, not having their heads dunked, or the dip mixed at the wrong strength. Got covered in enough of it myself over the years, rather contract someone in now and remove myself from that situation tbh.

Dipping not carried out properly was the main problem, and in commonage areas not all sheep were got at the gathering, always a few stragglers left on hills

I emailed my mart on Sunday night or Monday when the level 5 advice broke, asking how it would affect us all, got this in reply

"Hi, with the level 3 the Marts will still be able to operate. They’re viewed as an important part of the food chain. I’d imagine we’ll have an increased DVO presence and Guarda presence to monitor compliance with our SOP. I’m not sure what’ll happen in levels 4& 5, but hopefully with the new online offering we will still be able go trade. "

I would speculate that they may register buyers and only letting buyers into the yard at a predefined time to judge stock after sellers have unloaded. The tire kickers, rail keeper-uppers and hangers arounders can download mart eye.
    At local cattle mart today. Very strict regime. Only cow buyers let in while cows being sold. Then these buyers were asked to leave if they were not buying cattle. Safety guy constantly watching, if people moved close he was over immediately. Well worth the effort at least marts may be able to stay open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

At local cattle mart today. Very strict regime. Only cow buyers let in while cows being sold. Then these buyers were asked to leave if they were not buying cattle. Safety guy constantly watching, if people moved close he was over immediately. Well worth the effort at least marts may be able to stay open.
    What Mart was that at ?

Young95 wrote: »
    What Mart was that at ?

Cahir, Co Tipperary

all of the above and the fact that a single dip does not eradicate the eggs so dipping has to be repeated ideally three times a week apart (and getting them into the dip doesn't get easier each time)

a single dip will suppress the infection but not for long I have seen so many cases where sheep are treated once and a month later they are scratching and biting (and a month closer to lambing)

So best advice is to bite the bullet and make sure what ever control method u choose complete the full course it is cheaper in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Young95 wrote: »
    Is it gone to late to sow forage rape into stubble ?

Here is a pic of some Stego I put in on 9th Sept...
    So it’s in a month now, it’s coming on, but it’s hard to know how good it’ll be...

Am still wondering if it was the right move or not... :)
    I suppose at least it came up anyways... ;)

Here is a pic of some Stego I put in on 9th Sept...
    So it’s in a month now, it’s coming on, but it’s hard to know how good it’ll be...

Am still wondering if it was the right move or not... :)
    I suppose at least it came up anyways... ;)

if you don't try u will never know.

have the pigeons not attacked?

I sowed in august got a good strike but grey bast*rds lit on it and took most of it but had grass and clover in mix so have something for the effort.....

if you don't try u will never know.

have the pigeons not attacked?

I sowed in august got a good strike but grey bast*rds lit on it and took most of it but had grass and clover in mix so have something for the effort.....

Dhera, tisn’t a big gamble either Lano. I only put in 1 bag seed, plus some fertilser - so 100euro all in. If it comes great, if not, tisnt the end of the world...

Pigeons - no, not too bad... Not yet yet anyways... :)
    More crows around here, but they were after the barley more I think...
    We have a half dozen buzzards too, you’d often see them circling around - I wonder would they keep pigeons away a bit?

Dhera, tisn’t a big gamble either Lano. I only put in 1 bag seed, plus some fertilser - so 100euro all in. If it comes great, if not, tisnt the end of the world...

Pigeons - no, not too bad... Not yet yet anyways... :)
    More crows around here, but they were after the barley more I think...
    We have a half dozen buzzards too, you’d often see them circling around - I wonder would they keep pigeons away a bit?

buzzards will help and amazingly spend a huge amount of time on the ground eating slugs.

mid august is a rule of thumb cutoff for FRape. after that Italian/westerwolds etc a better bet for a catch crop.

have never tried it but would like to give forage rye a go.

will be interesting to see if your crop does much growth over winter u could have something worth feeding feb/march.

what do u hope to grow in that plot next season?

buzzards will help and amazingly spend a huge amount of time on the ground eating slugs.

mid august is a rule of thumb cutoff for FRape. after that Italian/westerwolds etc a better bet for a catch crop.

have never tried it but would like to give forage rye a go.

will be interesting to see if your crop does much growth over winter u could have something worth feeding feb/march.

what do u hope to grow in that plot next season?

It’s stubble ground that I can put a catch crop into - it’ll be going back into barley/wheat again in the spring...

I have to be off it, and whatever on it gone by 1st March - so I don’t have many options really...

Ah, I knew twas too late, but I kinda just wanted to see what twould come like too...
    Given how small it is now, and it’ll soon be mid Oct - I don’t see it being much of a crop really... I’ll feed it mid jan / Feb, whatever it’ll be like...

I put in Appin stubble turnips last year on 1st Sept, and was disappointed with them. But I think I was the cause of that as i put it out too light...
    Put in tyfon the year before and it was super feeding, even though the sheep hated it and broke out of it constantly at the start...
    Stego rape this year - just for something different as much as anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i have store lambs on the field im using beside the house for lambing this year, i want to put lambs and ewes out on it when i let them outafter a few days , just wondering should i take stores off now and let it green up over winter, i would think it will need it to grow a fresh bite , will be getting ewes and lambs from feb 15th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i have store lambs on the field im using beside the house for lambing this year, i want to put lambs and ewes out on it when i let them outafter a few days , just wondering should i take stores off now and let it green up over winter, i would think it will need it to grow a fresh bite , will be getting ewes and lambs from feb 15th

We began closing up this week for turnout late Jan

No 2 years are the same for growth this time of the year, but it is better to have grass a bit strong than scarce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

How long after dipping ewes would you need to wait before letting out Rams?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

DJ98 wrote: »
    How long after dipping ewes would you need to wait before letting out Rams?

Bit of a rush here last year as we were sponging them and leaving the ram out early but I think it was still 2-3 weeks

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

had a nice little nest of maggots in a ewe today, boring away at a small hole

had a nice little nest of maggots in a ewe today, boring away at a small hole

Diryy things, and the hail and cold lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Bit of a rush here last year as we were sponging them and leaving the ram out early but I think it was still 2-3 weeks

What's the problem with putting rams with the ewes after dipping, rams went out here yesterday, only a few days after dipping

we seem to have a very long maggot season in this area, always lasts into mid october every year if dipped in august at latest. dipped store lambs in mid september only for that i would have loads in them, first batch bought got dipped twice 6 weeks apart apart from 45kg plus ones

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

we seem to have a very long maggot season in this area, always lasts into mid october every year if dipped in august at latest. dipped store lambs in mid september only for that i would have loads in them, first batch bought got dipped twice 6 weeks apart apart from 45kg plus ones

Yea, same here right up to mid October and a lot more vicious, can't afford to miss them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Any recommendations for a long lasting aerosol to mark different batches of ewes before going to the rams. One that will last until lambing time so that we will know who sired what.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sandman30

Any recommendations for a long lasting aerosol to mark different batches of ewes before going to the rams. One that will last until lambing time so that we will know who sired what.

Coyles purple colour. The purple lasts much longer than other colours. Branding fluid will generally last longer than an aerosol

• Advertisement

I also find coyles the best spray. Its well worth considering branding them instead. We brand sheep here with different colours based on what ram we run them with and the mark stays on them right up until shearing in May. Great stuff.

Advertisement