Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

It’s stubble ground that I can put a catch crop into - it’ll be going back into barley/wheat again in the spring...

I have to be off it, and whatever on it gone by 1st March - so I don’t have many options really...

Ah, I knew twas too late, but I kinda just wanted to see what twould come like too...
    Given how small it is now, and it’ll soon be mid Oct - I don’t see it being much of a crop really... I’ll feed it mid jan / Feb, whatever it’ll be like...

I put in Appin stubble turnips last year on 1st Sept, and was disappointed with them. But I think I was the cause of that as i put it out too light...
    Put in tyfon the year before and it was super feeding, even though the sheep hated it and broke out of it constantly at the start...
    Stego rape this year - just for something different as much as anything :)

how late was the typhon sown and when was it eaten?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

I also find coyles the best spray. Its well worth considering branding them instead. We brand sheep here with different colours based on what ram we run them with and the mark stays on them right up until shearing in May. Great stuff.

Thanks for that. Can you throw up a few links for the stuff you use? Do you brand them on the side or on their back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea, same here right up to mid October and a lot more vicious, can't afford to miss them.

Haven't seen a maggot here since we started using Clik some years ago.everything done 3 weeks after shearing. Dipping this week before letting off rams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    how late was the typhon sown and when was it eaten?

Sown 31st August.
    Started feeding it 5th Jan.

That was 2018 - the year of the fierce summer, so maybe that had a big part to play as well...

Photo below taken mid Feb

Any recommendations for a long lasting aerosol to mark different batches of ewes before going to the rams. One that will last until lambing time so that we will know who sired what.

Duramark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Hi lads,

Bit of a strange one for ye!

I have a batch of ewe lambs and when I had them in the other day I notice once of them having a wee, She hunched normally to wee from her back end but then water started to flow from the navel area!

Upon closer examination she has no vagina, no balls, no penis but she does wee from her navel if you get me. When I say she has no penis I mean she has the little dangley bit but no penis inside it (the vet checked that)

She obviously isn’t one for breeding but just wondering did any of ye ever see anything like that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jd310

roosky wrote: »
    Hi lads,

I have a batch of ewe lambs and when I had them in the other day I notice once of them having a wee, She hunched normally to wee from her back end but then water started to flow from the navel area!

Upon closer examination she has no vagina, no balls, no penis but she does wee from her navel if you get me. When I say she has no penis I mean she has the little dangley bit but no penis inside it (the vet checked that)

She obviously isn’t one for breeding but just wondering did any of ye ever see anything like that before.

Seen something similar in a calf once had all the balls and rod but pished from the back end like a heifer, cant remember what the name was on it whee it was kind of a mix of both sexes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Hi lads,

Upon closer examination she has no vagina, no balls, no penis but she does wee from her navel if you get me. When I say she has no penis I mean she has the little bit but no penis inside it (the vet checked that)

Ya I kept a lamb for breeding two years ago and last year before let out the rams we noticed a lot of sheep flocking around this one, ones that were in season. Like that she pissed funny, not like you described though but still different. She also had head more like a ram than a ewe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

had a lamb last year that the skin was across his back passage poor dvil coldnt pass urine or poo ewe lamb. no actual opening, well skin grwon across

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jd310

Anyone spread slurry with ewes in field? I know not in anyway ideal or correct practise but getting beat before thursday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Jd310 wrote: »
    Seen something similar in a calf once had all the balls and rod but pished from the back end like a heifer, cant remember what the name was on it whee it was kind of a mix of both sexes

hermaphrodite I think is a mix of both sexes

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Thanks for that. Can you throw up a few links for the stuff you use? Do you brand them on the side or on their back?

https://sheepproducts.ie/collections/marking-range/products/siro-mark-branding-fluid Thats the stuff I use, I brand them on their upper back. Used to brand them on the side but they were rubbing against the crush and leaving paint everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

https://sheepproducts.ie/collections/marking-range/products/siro-mark-branding-fluid Thats the stuff I use, I brand them on their upper back. Used to brand them on the side but they were rubbing against the crush and leaving paint everywhere.

if you use a shedding gate you will want the mark on the shoulder/back/hip any where else you can't see it 'til she has flown past

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Wondering if people raddle rams on joining flock or wait until first cycle is finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Wondering if people raddle rams on joining flock or wait until first cycle is finished?

I put teaser in with no raddle for 14 days then put the ram in with green changed after 14days to red then blue and ram out at the end of 6 weeks.

Ram went into the first batch of 26 here on 28/8 had 20 in the first 14 days and 25 by 3 weeks so I pulled him out. Will put a ram back with this bunch on 25/10 when I let the rams in with the others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

https://www.clippersireland.ie/ergopro-cara-battery-sheep-cattle-clipper/

Anyone any experience with the above clippers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It seems there's trial work going on in Sligo on a fluke vaccine for sheep.

https://www.teagasc.ie/news--events/daily/sheep/watch-out-for-liver-fluke-in-sheep.php

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Out of curiosity at what time of year do youz usually fluke your ewes ? Ino every farm is different but still . Dry farm here and thinking of only giving them a dose in around January. Usually give them one pre tupping but didn’t do one this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Hi lads,

Think since the equality referendum came in, all farmers need to keep one of these.

DJ98 wrote: »

We use one here for dagging lambs for the factory, it does what it says.
    I used to contract shear but I wouldn't like to shear a sheep with one of those, they're very awkward, great for dagging though

• Advertisement

How are the lads getting on with the pink eye problem? I have it back again abit with the ewes but dipping next week and will inject the few with it . It really is a scerg!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Tileman

We use one here for dagging lambs for the factory, it does what it says.
    I used to contract shear but I wouldn't like to shear a sheep with one of those, they're very awkward, great for dagging though

Going buying one also. Is the battery one worth the extra 125€ V corded

Have been looking a few sheds with slatted floors and I see some lads the slats level with the feed passage which looks a lovely tidy job and more have the slats six inches below the feed passage, what works best and why, I know for straw you keep it down lower but why with slats ?

Tileman wrote: »
    Going buying one also. Is the battery one worth the extra 125€ V corded

Depends how much you value the convenience of just pushing the lamb against a wall and doing him where he stops.
    Also the hassle of the wire getting caught up in everything, I find it vey awkward to do them in the race.
    If I was doing them with a shearing machine I'd turn up the lambs but when tried that with the battery shears the length of the battery shears made it very awkward, hence saying I wouldn't like to shear a sheep with it

Have been looking a few sheds with slatted floors and I see some lads the slats level with the feed passage which looks a lovely tidy job and more have the slats six inches below the feed passage, what works best and why, I know for straw you keep it down lower but why with slats ?

Sheep can reach out further if the feed passage is higher than where they're standing, we've the feeding passage in the cattle shed 9 inches higher for that reason too

Mountain vets on BBC 2 now if anyone is going into withdrawal from lack of farming

Sheep can reach out further if the feed passage is higher than where they're standing, we've the feeding passage in the cattle shed 9 inches higher for that reason too

Oh okay but level will still work but silage would just need to be pushed in more often ??

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Young95 wrote: »
    How are the lads getting on with the pink eye problem? I have it back again abit with the ewes but dipping next week and will inject the few with it . It really is a scerg!

Picked out any lamb that had it or were starting to get it and injected them with procycline la.. Cleared them all but some of the lambs that were showing no signs of pinkeye have it now, so I think I'll bite the bullet and inject everything

Picked out any lamb that had it or were starting to get it and injected them with procycline la.. Cleared them all but some of the lambs that were showing no signs of pinkeye have it now, so I think I'll bite the bullet and inject everything

Ya. That’s the problem with it’s wave after wave of it. I blanket injected the whole farm here bout 2 months ago which made a huge difference. But it still came bck in a few. On the bright side with winter on the way and less flies etc you’ll get on top of it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Sold lambs on adverts today. Only put on yesterday and a man came from clare to buy them. Great job with none of the hassle of donedeal wasters

Advertisement