Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

DJ98 wrote: »
    Is there not something about that being hard to get rid of or something as it's a metal?

Slurry tank is a good place, It's only a nominal amount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

wrangler wrote: »
    Slurry tank is a good place, It's only a nominal amount

What if nó slurry tank?

DJ98 wrote: »
    What if nó slurry tank?

Do what everyone else does :D
    By the time you're throwing it out it's probably 2 or 3% zinc, put more water in it if you're worried.
    Dilution is the solution to pollution,

A neighbour footbaths with formalin and the sheep leave a line of dead grass down the field from the exit of the footbath, have a look at what you're using yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Considering the amount of Zinc Sulphate, Iron Sulphate and indeed washing powder spread liberally on driveways and yards across the country, all in the name of killing moss, sheep farmers are in the ha'penny place!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hi All. I was in the mart looking at the sheep. Noticed that the sheep were pinned according to type. Seen sign for cast ewes and was wondering what were cast ewes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Tileman

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Hi All. I was in the mart looking at the sheep. Noticed that the sheep were pinned according to type. Seen sign for cast ewes and was wondering what were cast ewes?

ewes not suitable for breeding due to age or health reasons . They are for fattening for factory

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mayoireland

How high will the price of lamb go before Christmas I don't think it was this high before correct me if I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The bord bia site used to have a facility to let you look back in years for prices but since they changed the site I haven't been looking at it much
    https://www.bordbia.ie/farmers-growers/prices-markets/sheep-trade-prices/sheepmeat-price-dashboard/

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

How high will the price of lamb go before Christmas I don't think it was this high before correct me if I'm wrong

Hit 6 20 plus last spring ...were around 5 60 or 5 70 at minute ? Anyone sell lambs to factory lately ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I have two weather lambs to kill, when do they become hoggets according to factory, should I get shut before Xmas.....they are just 47kg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

roosky wrote: »
    I have two weather lambs to kill, when do they become hoggets according to factory, should I get shut before Xmas.....they are just 47kg

Factory will take them now but at that weight they might also attract bids from butchers at the mart so maybe bring them to the mart.

They won’t be hoggets til Spring lambs start coming on stream next year. But at 47kg and prices going well, I’d be getting rid of them now

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Did anyone see the man on ear to the ground with the easycare sheep last night.. I thought he sold them well..he didn't mention how the lambs are to finish though..from speaking to a couple of lads around here the purebred ones are slow..as a ewe to produce lambs from another breed of ram I see definite appeal...any thoughts?

Did anyone see the man on ear to the ground with the easycare sheep last night.. I thought he sold them well..he didn't mention how the lambs are to finish though..from speaking to a couple of lads around here the purebred ones are slow..as a ewe to produce lambs from another breed of ram I see definite appeal...any thoughts?

I think they have to be three quarter bred easy care before they lose the wool properly, He's a very good sheep farmer, if they worked for anyone they'd work for him

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I think they have to be three quarter bred easy care before they lose the wool properly, He's a very good sheep farmer, if they worked for anyone they'd work for him

I knew about the need for nearly pure breeding to shed ..what I was getting at is if bred to another breed of ram and sell all lambs to factory..maybe keep one easycare to breed replacement ewes.. ..he is a serious operator all right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I think he said on twitter last year that they ko very well I don't know did he mention the time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

I knew about the need for nearly pure breeding to shed ..what I was getting at is if bred to another breed of ram and sell all lambs to factory..maybe keep one easycare to breed replacement ewes.. ..he is a serious operator all right

There suppose to be poor For milk tho supposedly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Early days for me , but I put a easycare ram across my lleyns this year for the first time, along with the terminal sires. Good lambs at birth. Have grown and k.o'd well. Will run on some as replacements. Only complaint I can find about them, is I've been in the marts recently and any easycares ive seen selling haven't sold as well as ordinary sheep. Maybe some buyers are still weary of them ? Not sure why, as any of my own I sent to the factory have killed out no different to any other breeds I have here, nor performed any less. I'd even say they k.o better in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Early days for me , but I put a easycare ram across my lleyns this year for the first time, along with the terminal sires. Good lambs at birth. Have grown and k.o'd well. Will run on some as replacements. Only complaint I can find about them, is I've been in the marts recently and any easycares ive seen selling haven't sold as well as ordinary sheep. Maybe some buyers are still weary of them ? Not sure why, as any of my own I sent to the factory have killed out no different to any other breeds I have here, nor performed any less. I'd even say they k.o better in many cases.

I've a flock of easycare. Breed most pure and all ram lambs go to the factory. Mostly R3s and about 20% U3s. No meal to lambs. However they are on good grass and I'm not heavily stocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

In fairness any breed of sheep would work well on his land. He’s a very good operator but having land like his is half the battle

razor8 wrote: »
    In fairness any breed of sheep would work well on his land. He’s a very good operator but having land like his is half the battle

I Know he slaughtered all his texel hogget rams one year for being related to a texel throat offender...... not all breeders were that honest.

• Advertisement

I Know he slaughtered all his texel hogget rams one year for being related to a texel throat offender...... not all breeders were that honest.

I rang him that year to buy one & he told me that. He’s definitely one of the very few that would take that hit

What are lads feeding ewes in there mid pregnancy stage of pregnancy? Il have my rams out 6 weeks by next weekend with grass be tight by then . Just wondering would really good quality hay be enough for them for the 4 week period till there 8 weeks out till lambing by then meal feeding will start taking place. Ewes are in good condition and will have a good run of ground with the odd pick of grass plus bale of hay . Or would I want to give them crystal x buckets with the hay ?

Young95 wrote: »
    What are lads feeding ewes in there mid pregnancy stage of pregnancy? Il have my rams out 6 weeks by next weekend with grass be tight by then . Just wondering would really good quality hay be enough for them for the 4 week period till there 8 weeks out till lambing by then meal feeding will start taking place. Ewes are in good condition and will have a good run of ground with the odd pick of grass plus bale of hay . Or would I want to give them crystal x buckets with the hay ?

Hay will be alright if it's good enough, nice and leafy etc. if you put a hand on them every couple weeks or so you'll know if they're losing condition
    What price per ton is Crystalyx, from what I've heard it's two or three times the price of ration for basically the same thing .

Here's 22 kgs crystalyx at €45, how is it better than a bag of ration at €8
    https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Crystalyx-Extra-Energy-Gatterwild-22-5kg/dp/B01KTNY05S

I found it after at 27.30, I can't understand why anyone is using it, even at €22 is €1000 per ton

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Young95 wrote: »

Put out a lick bucket (any brand) and check it the following day. If it’s all gone, chances are they need more hay or a fistful of oats. If they haven’t touched it, then they’re probably grand for now.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

truth be told there wouldn't be a lot of texels left if that was standard practice . That is a responsible breeder that deserves a premium for his stock .

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    truth be told there wouldn't be a lot of texels left if that was standard practice . That is a responsible breeder that deserves a premium for his stock .

We had a couple ewes with texel throat lately, from rams that are gone now, we traced the rams back, there was nothing notable on the certs , we then went to sheep Ireland and found ours was related to the ram that caused Willie hutchinson to cull all his hogget rams.
    In the last year two friends have been caught by Texel throat breeders, one friend is just waiting for the antibiotic withdrawal to expire to get to slaughter the ram.
    The other friend had three rams affected from the one breeder, If Sheep Ireland were any good they'd be on top of this and start a Database of offenders

We had a couple ewes with texel throat lately, from rams that are gone now, we traced the rams back, there was nothing notable on the certs , we then went to sheep Ireland and found ours was related to the ram that caused Willie hutchinson to cull all his hogget rams.
    In the last year two friends have been caught by Texel throat breeders, one friend is just waiting for the antibiotic withdrawal to expire to get to slaughter the ram.
    The other friend had three rams affected from the one breeder, If Sheep Ireland were any good they'd be on top of this and start a Database of offenders

Which county is the culprit from?

Hay will be alright if it's good enough, nice and leafy etc. if you put a hand on them every couple weeks or so you'll know if they're losing condition
    What price per ton is Crystalyx, from what I've heard it's two or three times the price of ration for basically the same thing .

Here's 22 kgs crystalyx at €45, how is it better than a bag of ration at €8
    https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Crystalyx-Extra-Energy-Gatterwild-22-5kg/dp/B01KTNY05S

I found it after at 27.30, I can't understand why anyone is using it, even at €22 is €1000 per ton

It might seem more expensive but if sheep have any forage atal they’ll only lick a small bit per day to reach there needs .. it’s not like meal where they’ll gorge on it either way ..

razor8 wrote: »
    Which county is the culprit from?

I don't think I'll be starting a witch hunt.
    I wouldn't think there's many flocks not affected at this stage, plenty breeders didn't cull, I know I was surprised at the last case.
    Even talk now of lleyn and Belclare having a texel input so there's nothing safe, :D

• Advertisement

I don't think I'll be starting a witch hunt.
    I wouldn't think there's many flocks not affected at this stage, plenty breeders didn't cull, I know I was surprised at the last case.
    Even talk now of lleyn and Belclare having a texel input so there's nothing safe, :D

Fair enough. It can really feck up someone’s flock. Bought 3 Texel lambs from different breeders many years ago and 2 died of Texel throat first winter. Remember having one in the shed and you could here him in the house. Sent vet a video of him. He said he’ll drop of a heart attack before morning. He dropped 20mins later

Advertisement