Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

roosky wrote: »
    Is silage or hay not enough for them through the winter....time enough to grow next summer ?

They’d go back on just silage alone I think...
    Maybe if you had some pick of grass for them all winter along with silage to top it up. But I see just silage in stubble ground they do go back...

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

kk.man wrote: »
    I'm thinking of giving dry ewe lambs a cheaper general purpose ration this winter. Last few winters I gave them the top of the range lamb ration. I don't think they need it but it does contain minerals and its also ver patable to get them started.

I might start with the expensive and then go back to the cheaper stuff. At peak they be getting 0.3kgs per day. I don't feed fodder but ground is dry.

What protein percentage are you thinking of giving them ? 18%?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Young95 wrote: »

They don't need that much protein, oats would be good enough if they're not inlamb. or an ordinary intensive lamb ration

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

Young95 wrote: »
    I think the mill does a 12% general purpose mix.. I'll need to check it out to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

If they had any pick of grass to keep them ticking along I would be feeding them meal at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Warning...daft question incoming!

I was watching a special texel sale recently and all the sheep were dark yellow/ brown not the traditional white that I'd see in fields around here. Are these yellowish ones dyed or what!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

RobinBanks wrote: »

I was watching a special texel sale recently and all the sheep were dark yellow/ brown not the traditional white that I'd see in fields around here. Are these yellowish ones dyed or what!

No, it’s a new gene in all show sheep!

The boring answer is it’s a dye that helps keep them looking clean

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

No, it’s a new gene in all show sheep!

The boring answer is it’s a dye that helps keep them looking clean

Some dye is horrible looking, makes the sheep look worse in my opinion. Nearly mahogany

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Was that the 1 in ballinrobe last night? I bought a few above there.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

fake tan.....essentially dye to give a greater color contrast so in the case of texels makes the head look whiter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ram lambs?

serfspup wrote: »
    fake tan.....essentially dye to give a greater color contrast so in the case of texels makes the head look whiter.

How is the dye applied?... Dip or spray?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Ya it was surely. Great money, especially that last lamb.

Ram lambs?

No hoggets ewes

Ya it was surely. Great money, especially that last lamb.

Ya it was dear enough, my friend actually bought her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

long day today, scanned ewes this morning at 5:30am, all done by 6:20.
    105 ewes
    5 dry (4 hoggs prob late)
    19 singles
    70 doubles
    11 triplets 1.82
    the Llyenns are doing a great job on prolificacy on twins

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

No hoggets ewes

Congratulations, you will have a busy free weeks lambing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Dickie10 wrote: »
    long day today, scanned ewes this morning at 5:30am, all done by 6:20.
    105 ewes
    5 dry (4 hoggs prob late)
    19 singles
    70 doubles
    11 triplets 1.82
    the Llyenns are doing a great job on prolificacy on twins

thats a nice scan..surely get alot of the thriplets fostered off with singles

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

How is the dye applied?... Dip or spray?

knapsack sprayer

how would you get under them with spray? (in order to cover the fleece)

• Advertisement

how would you get under them with spray? (in order to cover the fleece)

When we were showing sheep we used to dip them, it did a great job on the fleece, it tightened the wool, we used a more natural light brown colour on the vendeens, we'd put a bit on with the knapsack sprayer to touch up before shows and sales

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

What's the best Wellington boots to buy. Thinking I might get the father a pair. He hates heavy ones so wouldn't be after steel toe capped wellies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

joe35 wrote: »
    What's the best Wellington boots to buy. Thinking I might get the father a pair. He hates heavy ones so wouldn't be after steel toe capped wellies

Bekina's or Dunlop Purofort for me, lightand warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

thats a nice scan..surely get alot of the thriplets fostered off with singles

Could have a lot of singles first and triplets later on, happened here last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

When will the marts and factories stay open until before Xmas...:have a few lambs to go but could do with leaving them another week or so.....should I get shut this week or will they be killing next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

When will the marts and factories stay open until before Xmas...:have a few lambs to go but could do with leaving them another week or so.....should I get shut this week or will they be killing next week

This is coming week is the last week for alot of marts around the country, they tend to take 2 weeks off over Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Got a text this evening from tullow mart they are having a sale next Tuesday anyway don't know about any where else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Bought a zwarbtles ram this evening. Nice looking animal. How do you guys rate them to cross onto Suffolk/lleyn x ewes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

doing a bit of a farm plan here,what would people reckon on running 200 ewes and 50 ewe lambs rearing lambs on 15 hectares..ground would be of very good quality with a reseeding program...sheep wise mature ewes would wean 1.7 lambs and 50 ewe lambs would wean usally 1.0 lambs per head also all stock are rotated on fields/paddocks every 5-7 day

• Advertisement

doing a bit of a farm plan here,what would people reckon on running 200 ewes and 50 ewe lambs rearing lambs on 15 hectares..ground would be of very good quality with a reseeding program...sheep wise mature ewes would wean 1.7 lambs and 50 ewe lambs would wean usally 1.0 lambs per head also all stock are rotated on fields/paddocks every 5-7 day

Teagasc claim that 10 -12 ewes hectare is the optimum and we've 16/ha so yours is doable, we've 12 paddocks and I think that's important for high stocking rates. The longer you can rest paddocks the better

Advertisement