Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

The other thing that's being going on without much attention, it theres been a big drop of NZ lamb into the european market. Think NZ is more focused on the chinese market. So thats creating huge demand for our lamb on the continent. Hopefully, that would keep prices strong next year ?

The IFJ never mentioned the increase in the European Muslim population. I would have thought it is and will continue be a major reason for lamb demand and price stability into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Tileman

I need to get a few new self filling water ttoughs for the shed. Fed up of the stainless steel ones as they always end up leaking.

What do other people recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Tileman wrote: »
    I need to get a few new self filling water ttoughs for the shed. Fed up of the stainless steel ones as they always end up leaking.

What do other people recommend.

the jfc bowl type rawl bolted to the wall seem to work best here,ewes don't drop lambs into them when there lambing and their easier to clean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Hi all, happy new year.

I have a new sheepdog pup and I’m just teaching her manners for the time being.

I was wondering what commands to people use for the basics. She will sit and lie down on command and understands “no” for when she is up to no good.

I want to keep commands the same for when she is older working. She is getting inclined to run off now and isn’t listening to me to come back to me so I’m working on that next. What’s the best command to use to get her to return to me. Is it “come here” “that’ll do” or even just her name.

Also any other advice is greatly appreciated.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

roosky wrote: »
    Hi all, happy new year.

I have a new sheepdog pup and I’m just teaching her manners for the time being.

I was wondering what commands to people use for the basics. She will sit and lie down on command and understands “no” for when she is up to no good.

I want to keep commands the same for when she is older working. She is getting inclined to run off now and isn’t listening to me to come back to me so I’m working on that next. What’s the best command to use to get her to return to me. Is it “come here” “that’ll do” or even just her name.

Also any other advice is greatly appreciated.

TIA

"dat ill do" is usally what calls them off i was tought by a few trial boys when i was starting out..but no hard fast rules on what you actually say as it the tones not the actual words the dogs react too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone any tips on how to blow a sheepdog whistle? Got one as a gift for Christmas but for the life of me I can't make noise with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Does anyone else find that sheep seem a lot slower to eat pellets than ration?. Put out some pellets this evening and its only half eaten whereas if it was ration they always mop it up.

Also,

Do ye feed beet pulp?. If so do you soak it first?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Does anyone else find that sheep seem a lot slower to eat pellets than ration?. Put out some pellets this evening and its only half eaten whereas if it was ration they always mop it up.

Also,

Did you change them from ration to pellets? Could take them a few days to adjust. But might be related to ingredients in each too.

You have to soak the beet pulp. Think it says on the bags we used to get not to feed it to them unless it’s soaked for a few hours

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Also,

Changing any feed can cause issues for a few days. Doesn’t mean ones better than the other IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

razor8 wrote: »
    Changing any feed can cause issues for a few days. Doesn’t mean ones better than the other IMO

If some aren't eating, the ones that are eating will sicken themselves if they're let, so clean out the trough after 5minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Tileman

wrangler wrote: »
    If some aren't eating, the ones that are eating will sicken themselves if they're let, so clean out the trough after 5minutes

Always better to mix both feeds for a few days to introduce new feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Also,

I think in general though, lambs will eat rations quicker than nuts. I suppose the actual ingredients being visible is probably more appetising than a load of dry pencilly looking things that are the same colour as your dung! I find mountain lambs will struggle to start on buts, while they will start on a ration very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

roosky wrote: »

Apparently sheep dogs don't sit. They stand, lie down and run around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone crutch ewes before lambing? Advantages I know but are there any disadvantages other than added stress to the ewes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

DJ98 wrote: »
    Anyone crutch ewes before lambing? Advantages I know but are there any disadvantages other than added stress to the ewes?

I done mine there for the first time ever. Not lambing for another 6 weeks. Didn’t knock them to do bellies or anything. So far so good with no disadvantages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

DJ98 wrote: »

What does crutch mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i have a few lame single bearing ewes and lame ewe lambs that are also hope in lamb, is it ok to sit thm down and treat feet?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i have a few lame single bearing ewes and lame ewe lambs that are also hope in lamb, is it ok to sit thm down and treat feet?

They're safe enough until the last two months pregnancy, they need to be handled gently after that, we'd usually give them an injection of alamycin or tetracyclin after that rather than turn them up

Sami23 wrote: »
    What does crutch mean?

Shearing the wool around the tail and around the udder, cleaner for lambing

http://www.adverts.ie/22557323

Saw these on adverts. If they are so milky they would fairly push lambs on. Interesting animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

They're safe enough until the last two months pregnancy, they need to be handled gently after that, we'd usually give them an injection of alamycin or tetracyclin after that rather than turn them up

A vet told me not to inject pregnant ewes with tetracyclin. Saying that, I had done it previously without any issues. No harm to know anyway.

A vet told me not to inject pregnant ewes with tetracyclin. Saying that, I had done it previously without any issues. No harm to know anyway.

Just looked tetracycline 200 up in HPRA (Health Products Regulatory Authority) and this is what it said

'' Suitable for use in pregnant and lactating animals but not in ewes producing milk for human consumption''

There used to be one with a steroid included which would abort them......
    Like any veterinary advice on here it shouldn't be taken as gospel

Edit: Just edited to say that tetracycline with a steroid went under the name Oxycomplex ........ I've been racking my brain all morning trying to remember that name

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Just wondering how are lads ewes scanning so far this year? Are they on par with last season or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Young95 wrote: »
    Just wondering how are lads ewes scanning so far this year? Are they on par with last season or what ?

Back a bit. Scanned 1.8. Didn’t give mineral dose when rams went out or else I bought hoggets and maybe they just aren’t as prolific

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Young95 wrote: »

Scanner said early lambs were back, mid season numbers are higher

Back a bit. Scanned 1.8. Didn’t give mineral dose when rams went out or else I bought hoggets and maybe they just aren’t as prolific

same here 1.8, down from 2.1 last year , ewe lambs 1 , I'm lambing the ewe lambs now in March, I always found they did better if lambed in april, they seem to be more mature in November than October I've so few now that I couldn't be bothered lambing for another month.
    My hoggets didn't do well either but they never really recovered from the drought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

My hoggets didn't do well either but they never really recovered from the drought.

Never really thought about it in that way , but that drought 2 years ago set back the sheep so far at the time, I wouldn't be surprised if it left long term consequences on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Anybody any pictures off homemade molasses feeders?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

First casualty of 21, 3rd crop belclare ewe dead with her intestines out. On a positive note 7 sets of doubles out of in lamb ewes I bought which were supposed to be due middle of January onwards. Nice lengthy texel lambs.

• Advertisement

Fed beet pulp to ewes this morning. They went mad for it

Advertisement