Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

razor8 wrote: »
    Did you think you get reduced prolapse issues?

Never have much trouble with prolapse here apart from one year where we had to buy 15 harnesses, never knew why, but no it's not a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭eire23

Anyone on here useing rappa or prattley mobile yards? Had applied for the tams grant and have just got approval. They are dearer than a lot of the irish steel yards but are they worth it? They look easy to set up in the videos anyways. Anyone that has a sheepeze either, whats yer opinion on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

eire23 wrote: »
    Anyone on here useing rappa or prattley mobile yards? Had applied for the tams grant and have just got approval. They are dearer than a lot of the irish steel yards but are they worth it? They look easy to set up in the videos anyways. Anyone that has a sheepeze either, whats yer opinion on it?

Use a prattley for a fella I work for , aluminium gates a re a great job , I still prefer a permanent yard but if you have a good few blocks of land it might be way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Tileman

Snap.
    The pratley one is very good but shocking experience. I’m going for the sheep eze myself.

Tileman wrote: »
    Snap.
    The pratley one is very good but shocking experience. I’m going for the sheep eze myself.

Well I couldn't buy one without the grant so with the 60% grant I was thinking if I don't buy either the prattley or rappa now i never will. What sheepeze are you going for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Was that tranch 19 by any chance? I’m still waiting on approval from them .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Was someone asking about bagged minerals for sheep lately?

Just spotted these
    https://sheepproducts.ie/collections/mineral-vitamins-1/products/sheep-bag-minerals-25kg

(no connection to the company)

Oh, and these
    https://www.thedandys.ie/product/sheep-minerals

Young95 wrote: »
    Was that tranch 19 by any chance? I’m still waiting on approval from them .

I think it was tranche 18. Im nearly sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Tileman

Well I couldn't buy one without the grant so with the 60% grant I was thinking if I don't buy either the prattley or rappa now i never will. What sheepeze are you going for?

Ah I will just get the basic one. Got a few bits approved on the grants and also building a shed. Have decent handling facilities in the yard. This would be just for two bits of land away from farm .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

Do many people feed some Soya with their sheep nuts/ration prior to lambing to increase milk supply at birth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭clonagh

Sami23 wrote: »
    Do many people feed some Soya with their sheep nuts/ration prior to lambing to increase milk supply at birth

There was an article in Agriland (Jan. 17) by Michael Geary in which he reccommends feeding 100g of soya per day per lamb for the last two weeks of gestation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

clonagh wrote: »
    There was an article in Agriland (Jan. 17) by Michael Geary in which he reccommends feeding 100g of soya per day per lamb for the last two weeks of gestation.

Any link to it?.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭clonagh

That's if you're feeding ewes with a cheap 16 -18% ration where the miller hasn't used much soya.
    You use the cheap and cheerful ration from six weeks out and top it up with soya for the last 2 - 3 weeks.
    Some people find taht ewes are in great condition yet lamb down with poor milk
    Hence the top up on the cheaper ration

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I know this topic came up recently but I cant find it.. just checking my dry ewe lambs ..one of them seems to have gone blind..one eye very cloudy other one not as obvious but she is on her own and seems confused.. currently have the run of a about 35 acres of grass.. rest seem ok... any ideas? I'm hoping to catch her tomorrow and put in opticlox or dry cow.tube.. seem to remember someone saying blue spray

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

I know this topic came up recently but I cant find it.. just checking my dry ewe lambs ..one of them seems to have gone blind..one eye very cloudy other one not as obvious but she is on her own and seems confused.. currently have the run of a about 35 acres of grass.. rest seem ok... any ideas? I'm hoping to catch her tomorrow and put in opticlox or dry cow.tube.. seem to remember someone saying blue spray
    Happening here too. To make matters worse one here and there in different groups. Two wethers that got a month ago clearing up. Giving mastitis tubes. Mostly they clear up on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

tried the grennans 20% nut on the sponged ewes pre lambing...definitely doesnt need extra soya anyway anyway..will be using it on the rest of the ewes pre lambing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

tried the grennans 20% nut on the sponged ewes pre lambing...definitely doesnt need extra soya anyway anyway..will be using it on the rest of the ewes pre lambing

Only nut in the local place is 18% so I might try the Soya this year

Yea, it's a good ration, I've used it a few years now, soya is first in the list of ingredients so must be 20% soya or close to it

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea, it's a good ration, I've used it a few years now, soya is first in the list of ingredients so must be 20% soya or close to it

it was the ingredient list that got me interested in trying it...would say a cheaper 18% nut would do the job perfectly up till 2 or 3 weeks before ewes are due when the ewes start lactating

• Advertisement

it was the ingredient list that got me interested in trying it...would say a cheaper 18% nut would do the job perfectly up till 2 or 3 weeks before ewes are due when the ewes start lactating

I use it because I'm feeding straw...... no other source of protein,
    Their super ewe and lamb ration is all good stuff,
    What's their 18% ration like, how does it read

I use it because I'm feeding straw...... no other source of protein,
    Their super ewe and lamb ration is all good stuff,
    What's their 18% ration like, how does it read

ah that makes sense,could be different with decent haylage,they do two 18% nuts..one cheaper with less soya and one with soya meal as the second ingredient..personally i wouldn't worry much about the percentage of protein in a ewe feed but more the percentage of soya bean meal..c.r wynnes in co.kildare do a ewe ration which is 18% and there is nothing in a ewe ration to match it..nothing i seen anyway..if it was a nut form id use nothing else myself

Are the 20% much dearer ?

Are the 20% much dearer ?

€20 per ton

See the sheep welfare payment reference year is being changed to 2017 . Personally I’m annoyed that there going back to far back in the years . Was hoping for minimum 2019. Anyone else see or read anything I missed ?

See the sheep welfare payment reference year is being changed to 2017 . Personally I’m annoyed that there going back to far back in the years . Was hoping for minimum 2019. Anyone else see or read anything I missed ?

Yea, I just put that up under ''sheep welfare forum'' only 17m allotted to it, budget wouldn't be big enough if they went to 2020. €17m will only do 1.7m sheep I'd say there's another half million sheep at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Yea, I just put that up under ''sheep welfare forum'' only 17m allotted to it, budget wouldn't be big enough if they went to 2020. €17m will only do 1.7m sheep I'd say there's another half million sheep at least

You think sheep numbers increased half a million between 14/15 and 17?

You think sheep numbers increased half a million between 14/15 and 17?

Census claims there's 2.57m breeding ewes in the country so wherever they are the department don't want to pay out on them all, I think there was 25m euros allocated the first year, it's reduced now due to farmers getting out and not allowing for others expanding

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Census claims there's 2.57m breeding ewes in the country so wherever they are the department don't want to pay out on them all, I think there was 25m euros allocated the first year, it's reduced now due to farmers getting out and not allowing for others expanding

Is there a minimum number of ewes needed to qualify for this scheme?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Is there a minimum number of ewes needed to qualify for this scheme?

It was something like 15 ewes or hoggets over 12 months last time but I’m not sure if it’s the same this time

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement