Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

anyone else any experiences of outdoor lambing wouldnt mind lambing a few ewes with the ewe lambs in April

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Dickie10 wrote: »
    anyone else any experiences of outdoor lambing wouldnt mind lambing a few ewes with the ewe lambs in April

Yea it’s a good job . But breed of sheep used both on ewe and ram side can make a massive difference

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭k mac

Young95 wrote: »
    Yea it’s a good job . But breed of sheep used both on ewe and ram side can make a massive difference

Something I hope to get into. Was thinking a vendeen ram but don't know about what ewes...would a texel leyn cross be suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

An uncle of mine lambs all out starting the beginning of April mostly crossbred ewes with Texel and suffolk rams. Can be a right bit of hardship if the weather turns. I can’t but exact figures on it but I think he had around 340 lambs out of 220 ewes which he was delighted with reckons he never had that kind of output. Saying that his ewe lambs were an utter disaster. He has a large shed there for weak lambs that need it and he’s farming full time to so he’s there most of the time with them too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Cran

Lamb 700 ewes outside here beginning of April, on my own last couple of years with some adhoc student help. Breed of ewe really important and flat sheltered farm here. Ewes out wintered on turnips, the get moved to lambing fields 4/5 weeks before lambing and feed nuts with snacker. They go straight to grass as they lamb fields closed entire winter for them.

Key to outdoor lambing for me are right maternal ewe that lambs in shelter majority of time with good maternal instincts. Ease of lambing is key can’t be catching to many ewes outside, especially singles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Cran wrote: »
    Lamb 700 ewes outside here beginning of April, on my own last couple of years with some adhoc student help. Breed of ewe really important and flat sheltered farm here. Ewes out wintered on turnips, the get moved to lambing fields 4/5 weeks before lambing and feed nuts with snacker. They go straight to grass as they lamb fields closed entire winter for them.

Key to outdoor lambing for me are right maternal ewe that lambs in shelter majority of time with good maternal instincts. Ease of lambing is key can’t be catching to many ewes outside, especially singles.

What breed of ewes do you run Cran?

Ard_MC wrote: »
    What breed of ewes do you run Cran?

Base of majority of the ewes would be Mule, crossed to lleyns and hybrid ram past 7/8 years with some Mules bought annually. Belclare gone out with the ewes to breed ewe lambs this year for first time. Would like to fully close flock but find every time get to far from nice % hill breed in the ewes they're less effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone know of anywhere in the country that stocks Gates like the ones below?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Base of majority of the ewes would be Mule, crossed to lleyns and hybrid ram past 7/8 years with some Mules bought annually. Belclare gone out with the ewes to breed ewe lambs this year for first time. Would like to fully close flock but find every time get to far from nice % hill breed in the ewes they're less effective.

That’s very interesting. So really best to have nearly 50% blackface mountain in ewes for lambing outside successfully. I keep a lot of hilltex so it is something I would consider.

OneMan37 wrote: »
    That’s very interesting. So really best to have nearly 50% blackface mountain in ewes for lambing outside successfully. I keep a lot of hilltex so it is something I would consider.

I like 25% in the ewes at least, Mules have faults but outdoor lambing is not one in my opinion. How are the Hiltex for lambing %?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

DJ98 wrote: »
    Anyone know of anywhere in the country that stocks Gates like the ones below?

Cormac in Tuam have them. They go by Tuam farm supplies now. Saw them there myself a weekend before last

I like 25% in the ewes at least, Mules have faults but outdoor lambing is not one in my opinion. How are the Hiltex for lambing %?

I only have a dozen 2 year old Hilltex ewes, but they are scanned at about 200%. I also have 40 Hilltex lambs that have been running with the ram. They are lambing at about 0.8/0.9. I choose Hilltex over the mule as they are more docile and prob easier to keep in and pen in my limited experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

have you many llyen x mule ewe?..often wondered would it be worth trying a few

have you many llyen x mule ewe?..often wondered would it be worth trying a few

Super ewes had prob 200 at one stage, weathers are very difficult to finish reason moved away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Super ewes had prob 200 at one stage, weathers are very difficult to finish reason moved away from them.

that would be my fear with that particular cross,.hard beat the texel x mule for terminal and maternal suited lambs

Man up here puts a good Suffolk ram over his Mayo ewes, they look nice ewe lambs, are bigger than the hilltex ewe lambs I buy off him each year. Anyone aware of this cross and would there be much demand for them as Hoggs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Man up here puts a good Suffolk ram over his Mayo ewes, they look nice ewe lambs, are bigger than the hilltex ewe lambs I buy off him each year. Anyone aware of this cross and would there be much demand for them as Hoggs ?
    Would they be hard Lambeg?

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Would they be hard Lambeg?

The Suffolk Mayo ewe would be easy lambed I’d say prob as easy if not easier than a hilltex.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

I had a few by default one year thanks to a neighbours ram. Kept them. Was serious wee ewes. Spent 6 months on a mountain and nearly always had twins. Reason I think they aren't as popular is because they weren't the nicest sheep to look at.

Run all hill sheep here but definitely worth a try as a comparison to the hilltex

We had a few of them before.....great lasting,still having twins at 12 years of age and selling 2 lambs at 45kg off every year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Reason I think they aren't as popular is because they weren't the nicest sheep to look at.

Run all hill sheep here but definitely worth a try as a comparison to the hilltex

I think you might be on to something there. Sounds like a type of sheep I've here but not sure. Bought them years ago along with a batch of hilltex. Wasnt 100% sure what breed of sheep they were. Sort of like a narrower Suffolk with the bit of black fleece around their neck. Big enough sheep, but retain the slightly wildness of their mayo mothers. Your right, they ain't the prettiest to look at but really good mothers.

This is what I have, Is it the same type of sheep yer referring to ?

This is what I have, Is it the same type of sheep yer referring to ?

Nice lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Farm365

Can anyone recommend a permanent sheep handling system for say 200-300 hundred sheep? I’m looking at the Sheep System A from IAE

Nice lamb

A easycare ram put to ewe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i think i have a lot of those throughout the stores im fattening. dont know what mother they came out of around Beara, Kenmare areas? what mountain ewes have they in west cork and south kerry?

I think you might be on to something there. Sounds like a type of sheep I've here but not sure. Bought them years ago along with a batch of hilltex. Wasnt 100% sure what breed of sheep they were. Sort of like a narrower Suffolk with the bit of black fleece around their neck. Big enough sheep, but retain the slightly wildness of their mayo mothers. Your right, they ain't the prettiest to look at but really good mothers.

That’s them, retaining the slightly wildness of their mothers wouldn’t be a fault of the Hilltex, mine are all quiet. You don’t this this cross would be as quiet as the Hilltex ?

That’s them, retaining the slightly wildness of their mothers wouldn’t be a fault of the Hilltex, mine are all quiet. You don’t this this cross would be as quiet as the Hilltex ?

I bought a batch of 20 ewe lambs, must be 10 yrs ago now. 4 of them were those sheep, rest were hilltex. Most of the hilltex have gone, but I've 2-3 of the black sheep still going. Probably last season now. I remember them being wild at the start, but the rest of the hilltex were quiet, so used to keep them quiet. They were the type of sheep that didnt like humans getting too close. Bit crazy, but exceptionally good mothers. Stamp the foot at me whenever I came anywhere near. Always thought if a fox came near their lamb, they'd nearly kill the fox. I quiet like them now, but wouldnt like a whole flock of them as they might be challenging to work with, but they might be fine as well as they'd need little minding and tough as old boots.

I bought a batch of 20 ewe lambs, must be 10 yrs ago now. 4 of them were those sheep, rest were hilltex. Most of the hilltex have gone, but I've 2-3 of the black sheep still going. Probably last season now. I remember them being wild at the start, but the rest of the hilltex were quiet, so used to keep them quiet. They were the type of sheep that didnt like humans getting too close. Bit crazy, but exceptionally good mothers. Stamp the foot at me whenever I came anywhere near. Always thought if a fox came near their lamb, they'd nearly kill the fox. I quiet like them now, but wouldnt like a whole flock of them as they might be challenging to work with, but they might be fine as well as they'd need little minding and tough as old boots.

Thanks. It’s interesting that you mention that, it’s opened my ewes a little. I’ve a group of 80 ewes in a field being feed, 50 are hilltex but I have 5 of those Suffolk x Mayo and the hilltex will be up eating out of your hand the come right up to you. But these stay well back, some aren’t even eating as they aren’t used to nuts. Haven’t lambed them or worked with them much so can’t say if their Stamp. But it might put me off getting to many at once next year, as generally buy from the same farmer each year. I find the charollais x Hill ewe the wildest of the bunch, and I have a few Belclare x hill and one of them is jumpy enough to. Seems to be the Texel that can calm the hill ewe the best.

• Advertisement

That's just something with sheep from a hill background. See it here all the time. You'll have a small percentage that look as if they'd prefer to die rather then eat meal . Only thing is to catch them and put them into a enclosed area with a lamb or two that do eat meal and after a few hours they'll try the meal and be grand. Their just weary of us.

Advertisement