Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

This is what I have, Is it the same type of sheep yer referring to ?

Aye and mine took horns from the hills ewe as well. Super wee ewe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

What height do ye put the drinkers in a shed at men?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    What height do ye put the drinkers in a shed at men?

about 28ins here, better to have them too high than have them ****ting into them.
    My walls are only 2ft high and thats as high as I can bolt them on using the lower bolt holes, but it's alright

This type
    https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/JFC-Micro-Drink-Bowl-4-Litre/9002724?gclid=Cj0KCQiAvP6ABhCjARIsAH37rbQM03KrTC2IPr7LKf_mOKFdKA86Nas_hidmMqgejY-rIenjHz2E-7oaAisjEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Packrat

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i think i have a lot of those throughout the stores im fattening. dont know what mother they came out of around Beara, Kenmare areas? what mountain ewes have they in west cork and south kerry?

I didn't see the sheep you're referring to but most lads here have mixes of Scotch, Mayo, Swale as ewes. Plenty poor quality whitish type Scotch around courtesy of 35 years of Dingle rams being popular here.
    Other than that the mothers would be cheviot cross out of Scotch.
    Lots of Suffolk and some Texel rams used, and over the last 5 years there's some sort of a fetish for those horrible Charolais. Lovely sheep purebred but a disaster out of Scotch ewes in my opinion. The lambs don't thrive and the ewe lambs are dog ugly. I'd never have them again anyway.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

Would there be much of a difference in the weight of a bale of haylage and Hay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Hi all,

I read somewhere about putting wool under straw in a dry shed to get rid of it and then spread it on land as FYM...has anyone ever done this or how has it worked out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭orm0nd

For any Lleyn fans Alan Mcdonald is hosting Ireland's Farmers on Twitter this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

orm0nd wrote: »
    For any Lleyn fans Alan Mcdonald is hosting Ireland's Farmers on Twitter this week.

I’d say his lleyns are full of meal . Rather see a commercial mans sheep on it .

roosky wrote: »
    Hi all,

I read somewhere about putting wool under straw in a dry shed to get rid of it and then spread it on land as FYM...has anyone ever done this or how has it worked out

How long would it take to rot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

can you not get rid in wool merchants?

• Advertisement

Jjameson wrote: »
    It’d take long enough. Nasty around rotors of spreader too!

Imagine trying to muck out the shed. Sounds like pure hardship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Young95 wrote: »
    I’d say his lleyns are full of meal . Rather see a commercial mans sheep on it .

no there definitely not!..i bought 2 rams off him back in june and neither knew what meal was. Both were very fit hardy sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

no there definitely not!..i bought 2 rams off him back in june and neither knew what meal was. Both were very fit hardy sheep.

That’s good to hear . You would wonder about some of those breeders tho that show them tho the condition and size of some of there sheep .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

That’s good to hear . You would wonder about some of those breeders tho that show them tho the condition and size of some of there sheep .

its hard to find a pedigree breed who is rearing his ram for sale on grass only..reason being in the sales ring they look less appealing than the ram who was fed ad lib meal..alan Mcdonald is one who doesn't and there is also another man in laois i deal with anytime i need a texel ram..he runs his pedigrees as commercial grass based sheep,only feeding a small bit of meal when grass is scarce in late autumn/winter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Meal or no meal he has quality stock.

Actually look at DD and you will see the biggest wasters of meal are commercial farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

orm0nd wrote: »
    Meal or no meal he has quality stock.

Actually look at DD and you will see the biggest wasters of meal are commercial farmers.

What do you mean by that

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hi All,

A lad approached me to see would i have grass to graze for about 6 weeks until ewes start lambing in March. As it happens i do have some silage ground that's a few miles away that i would like to graze off before the slurry goes out. He offered me money for it but i wouldn't take any money off him as i see it as he is doing me a favor in that silage quality will be better after been grazed.

This same man does allot of fencing work and i could do with getting a bit done. The field I was going to give him has about 100m ditch that has no fence at all and i was wondering would it be very cheeky if i asked him to fence it instead of taking money off him. I would supply all the materials obviously.

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Hi All,

A lad approached me to see would i have grass to graze for about 6 weeks until ewes start lambing in March. As it happens i do have some silage ground that's a few miles away that i would like to graze off before the slurry goes out. He offered me money for it but i wouldn't take any money off him as i see it as he is doing me a favor in that silage quality will be better after been grazed.

This same man does allot of fencing work and i could do with getting a bit done. The field I was going to give him has about 100m ditch that has no fence at all and i was wondering would it be very cheeky if i asked him to fence it instead of taking money off him. I would supply all the materials obviously.

Id take your hand off in that situation

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Hi All,

How many ewes
    Grazing is worth about €1/ewe/week ......... especially this time of the year, very few farmers want sheep on their land in feb

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

wrangler wrote: »
    How many ewes
    Grazing is worth about €1/ewe/week ......... especially this time of the year, very few farmers want sheep on their land in feb

Around 30 ewes and its a 13ac field. if that is the going rate I wouldn't feel as bad asking him to do a bit of fencing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    How many ewes

At €1 a head, there wouldnt be much between that and feeding meal instead.

At €1 a head, there wouldnt be much between that and feeding meal instead.

Meal is 30+ c /kg , if it's good grass it's worth kg/day or over€2.10/ week and the farmer is saving his own land

Was considering getting a lambing camera installed for the coming lambing season, the way the shed is setup is that there is 4 pens, that are divided with walk through troughs, now if the camera was positioned in the middle of the shed and a ewe in the top pen or bottom pen was lambing beside the walk through feeder would you pick this up on the camera or would this be seen as like a blind spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Anybody ever use Ewe-Reka Lamb Milk Replacer it’s made from sheep’s milk protein and is meant to reduce bloating, in comparison to other products on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Packrat wrote: »
    I didn't see the sheep you're referring to but most lads here have mixes of Scotch, Mayo, Swale as ewes. Plenty poor quality whitish type Scotch around courtesy of 35 years of Dingle rams being popular here.
    Other than that the mothers would be cheviot cross out of Scotch.
    Lots of Suffolk and some Texel rams used, and over the last 5 years there's some sort of a fetish for those horrible Charolais. Lovely sheep purebred but a disaster out of Scotch ewes in my opinion. The lambs don't thrive and the ewe lambs are dog ugly. I'd never have them again anyway.

Pardon the ignorance but what’s a dingle sheep look like?

390kid wrote: »
    Pardon the ignorance but what’s a dingle sheep look like?

A scotch ewe but with more white than black in her face

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Zack Dingle breeds them in Yorkshire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Zack Dingle breeds them in Yorkshire

Shaderack I think started them

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

How is your favourite farmer TV character ?
    Mine is Greengrass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

OneMan37 wrote: »
    Anybody ever use Ewe-Reka Lamb Milk Replacer it’s made from sheep’s milk protein and is meant to reduce bloating, in comparison to other products on the market.

Have being using it the last 3 years and the best there is on the market, the only one as good is a french brand with got 4 year ago and can’t get it now.

Advertisement