Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I suggest you read up on the latest CAP proposals and the reasons why millions of farmers in the likes of India are looking for guaranteed prices for their products due to over production across the board. Your logic only plays into the bottom line of Larry et al while causing unnecessary and pointless damage to the environment etc.

All those proposals are idealistic, always were and always will be. There's no country that's going to interfere or try to interfere with successful businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

wrangler wrote: »
    All those proposals are idealistic, always were and always will be. There's no country that's going to interfere or try to interfere with successful businesses

So your definition of success in this arena is the likes of Larry making a packet off the backs of farmers??

Birdnuts wrote: »
    So your definition of success in this arena is the likes of Larry making a packet off the backs of farmers??

Like a lot here you're trying to put words in my mouth
    The business has to survive, if larry had the same return as farmers I'm sure he'd switch to some other business.
    I keep reminding everyone on here that we used to make cars in this country.
    You have to be realistic, subs and the likes have kept farmers in business for the last 30 years, but the end is coming and young people are moving big time away from farming. my three tenants have 10 or 12 leases between them, that's a lot of families gone from farming in a small area, another dairy farmer is developing his third 500 cow farm with another similar size in planning with very little opposition.
    A successful business is one that survives, I won't call it progress but it's definitely change.
    Look at the civil service, that's a result of your type of idealism, 8weeks holidays, free work gear, free food and paid to eat it in some areas. but for the fact it's given an open chequebook every year it'd be gone. and maybe it shouldbe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Jeez Wrangler, can you point out which part of the CS gets 8 weeks holidays, free food and paid to eat it?
    I need to put in for a transfer...

Take home pay for a CO in the CC is just above minimum wage.
    Typically they will take home €370 per week, after tax.
    Minimun wage is €363.
    If they are working outdoors they will get waterproofs and boots etc, but then the same applies in many other industries.
    You get a €10 per week increase for every year you are there, and a "long service" increase at year 31.

If you want to up your pay, you'll need to do the exams that come up every 2 years, to step up to the next level, to EO.
    This will typically net you an extra €60 to €70 per week if you are successful and actually get called.
    Live in a typical more rural county, and you'll be relocating to Dublin for a few years, as positions come up so rarely in the country.
    In the last 4 years competitions, of the several thousand who reached the required grade and passed interview stage etc, the number of Leitrim appliciants hired was .... 0. Zero.
    If you have a Degree or Masters you can then try for the HEO position, but that is a very tough step up..

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Jeez Wrangler, can you point out which part of the CS gets 8 weeks holidays, free food and paid to eat it?
    I need to put in for a transfer...

Take home pay for a CO in the CC is just above minimum wage.
    Typically they will take home €370 per week, after tax.
    Minimun wage is €363.
    If they are working outdoors they will get waterproofs and boots etc, but then the same applies in many other industries.
    You get a €10 per week increase for every year you are there, and a "long service" increase at year 31.

If you want to up your pay, you'll need to do the exams that come up every 2 years, to step up to the next level, to EO.
    This will typically net you an extra €60 to €70 per week if you are successful and actually get called.
    Live in a typical more rural county, and you'll be relocating to Dublin for a few years, as positions come up so rarely in the country.
    In the last 4 years competitions, of the several thousand who reached the required grade and passed interview stage etc, the number of Leitrim appliciants hired was .... 0. Zero.
    If you have a Degree or Masters you can then try for the HEO position, but that is a very tough step up..

Those were exactly what someone who'd just joined the prison service said.
    Board of works get plenty of both kit and holidays, that's common knowledge as a lot are out on farms and there to be seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

hello all, i had a ewe lambed twins yesterday after a long but trouble free labour. good milk and healthy lambs, however she was lying down a lot today and didnt eat her meal, she did eat hay and drink water. i took her temp. and it read 40.1 ? this is a bit high i would think , could it be pneumonia, infection? 6pm this evening i checked temp

Dickie10 wrote: »
    hello all, i had a ewe lambed twins yesterday after a long but trouble free labour. good milk and healthy lambs, however she was lying down a lot today and didnt eat her meal, she did eat hay and drink water. i took her temp. and it read 40.1 ? this is a bit high i would think , could it be pneumonia, infection? 6pm this evening i checked temp

She needs an antibiotic, penicillin probably . they sometimes get an infection after lambing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Very hard to see it being pneumonia, you'd see her beating otherwise. Temp Isnt mad high,Maybe a slight infection, a **** if penicillin be no harm. Try to get her eating and fresh water

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

That’s pretty much normal temperature for a sheep (38.5-40) I wouldn’t get too excited about a sheep’s temp until it is 40.5/41 plus. If you’ve gave her penicillin next thing I would look for is a pain killer and if she hasn’t improved maybe calcium and a dose of twin lamb as you said she had a long labour? (Could have used up a lot of energy and calcium). She will probably sort herself in the next few days, not uncommon for some ewes to have a decreased appetite after lambing but no harm to cover the common bases.

That’s pretty much normal temperature for a sheep (38.5-40) I wouldn’t get too excited about a sheep’s temp until it is 40.5/41 plus. If you’ve gave her penicillin next thing I would look for is a pain killer and if she hasn’t improved maybe calcium and a dose of twin lamb as you said she had a long labour? (Could have used up a lot of energy and calcium). She will probably sort herself in the next few days, not uncommon for some ewes to have a decreased appetite after lambing but no harm to cover the common bases.

We always give a half feed, first feed after lambing, It's not unusual for htem to be off form. The twin lamb remedy is a good idea too, she's probably 100% now but I'd give antibiotic once temp starts to move up as it indicates infection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭clonagh

[QUOTE=a dose of twin lamb.[/QUOTE]
    What do you give in that instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

Lads anyone do the distance green cert ? One day a month in college for 18 months or something .. is it a lot of work

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

clonagh wrote: »
    What do you give in that instance?

Calcium under the skin - about 10ml per 20kg, so an 80kg ewe would get around 40ml. Best to give 10ml in 4 different locations.

Never any harm to give them 100ml of electrolytes either. Chanatol is the brand name of the stuff we use here. That energy keeps them ticking over until the appetite returns. Throw her some ivy too - they love that. But if she won't pick that, then you've a more serious case on your hands.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

We always give a half feed, first feed after lambing, It's not unusual for htem to be off form. The twin lamb remedy is a good idea too, she's probably 100% now but I'd give antibiotic once temp starts to move up as it indicates infection

thanks, she ate the nuts during the night and eating hay now like mad, must be hungry, i will give her a shot of penicillen in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Vaccinated ewe lambs last month and I used the bigger bottle by mistake. Still has 100 odd doses in it.

Going vaccinating the ewes tomorrow, could I use this or would it definitely be gone. The lid wasn't sealed or anything on it. Very careless I know but wasn't thinking at all

joe35 wrote: »
    Vaccinated ewe lambs last month and I used the bigger bottle by mistake. Still has 100 odd doses in it.

Going vaccinating the ewes tomorrow, could I use this or would it definitely be gone. The lid wasn't sealed or anything on it. Very careless I know but wasn't thinking at all

It'd be gone, we used to keep bottles, but we'd only put a sterilised needle in it once and suck out what we needed , seal it then with candle wax and sellotape.
    Vaccine never failed so whether it wasn't needed or it worked I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Any of ye ever notice hoggets more so not licking their lambs after birth? They are great to get lambs and nudge them for milk and all. I took two lbs from a hogget a few hours ago and penned them up. was out there not so long ago and they aren’t cleaned up. Not the first one I noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Have triplets going down with twin lamb here, in too good condition I reckon, getting over a kg in a split feed, anything i can do to prevent it? Calcium jag and glucose keeping them alive, one back eating grass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Have triplets going down with twin lamb here, in too good condition I reckon, getting over a kg in a split feed, anything i can do to prevent it? Calcium jag and glucose keeping them alive, one back eating grass

Are they many days from lambing?

Glycerine is better than glucose, if they're near lambing they're full of lambs so they might be sickening, are they finishing the meal quickly , I'd reduce their feed a small bit if they weren't clearing the trough in 5 mins, all it takes is one ewe not to eat to sicken the others

• Advertisement

Are they many days from lambing?

2-3weeks

Glycerine is better than glucose, if they're near lambing they're full of lambs so they might be sickening, are they finishing the meal quickly , I'd reduce their feed a small bit if they weren't clearing the trough in 5 mins, all it takes is one ewe not to eat to sicken the others

Some got a feed of meal alright, thanks for that

2-3weeks

That's a good bit from lambing. As wrangler said reduce the feed until they're clearing it in the 5 minutes. Try introducing another small feed sometime during the day if you can manage it. Even 100g each to start with.
    I'd give a dose of ketovit to any lady that'd leave the trough early. It helps to halt the slide.

That's a good bit from lambing. As wrangler said reduce the feed until they're clearing it in the 5 minutes. Try introducing another small feed sometime during the day if you can manage it. Even 100g each to start with.

Sheep are very prone to acidosis in late pregnancy, once they sicken it's very difficult to get them right after.
    5 minute rule is very important . ;)

+1 to dose them if they don't eat

Sheep are very prone to acidosis in late pregnancy, once they sicken it's very difficult to get them right after.
    5 minute rule is very important . ;)

+1 to dose them if they don't eat

In my limited experience, it's a case of winding it back and starting from the beginning again with small feeds and keep in the ketovit for a few days until the form is good again. 2 to 3 weeks is a long time to nurse them that closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

increase energy in diet.....feed beet pulp nuts so 750g ewe nuts 250g beet pulp counters acidosis and reduces overall protien % of ration.

Any of ye ever notice hoggets more so not licking their lambs after birth? They are great to get lambs and nudge them for milk and all. I took two lbs from a hogget a few hours ago and penned them up. was out there not so long ago and they aren’t cleaned up. Not the first one I noticed

Very odd here this year but it seems all hoggets are rejecting their lambs or certainly not licking them much and not being good mothers. Most are taking to them after a few hours but several pucked them while the lambs were still wet. Happened with singles and twins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

Very odd here this year but it seems all hoggets are rejecting their lambs or certainly not licking them much and not being good mothers. Most are taking to them after a few hours but several pucked them while the lambs were still wet. Happened with singles and twins.

Put salt on lambs rear after giving birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

What breed are the hoggets ? Have you other hoggets in previous years from the same sire ?

• Advertisement

What breed are the hoggets ? Have you other hoggets in previous years from the same sire ?

All Suffolk cross, from NZ Suffolk rams. Their mothers would be a mix with Llyen, Belclare, and mules

Advertisement