Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Tagged a hogget yesterday with the tag facing the wrong way. Surely i cant be the only idiot to have done that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

If she responded that quickly it was most likely hypocal, keep an eye for any others as it can often affect more than one and if you warm the calcium before giving it it’s absorbed faster.

Is that the same as milk fever?

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Tagged a hogget yesterday with the tag facing the wrong way. Surely i cant be the only idiot to have done that lol

I might have a ewe or two like that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Wouldnt think it makes any difference, as their all electronically scanned now in mart/ factory

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Is that the same as milk fever?

Yep same thing, gets called all sorts although not truely milk fever in ewes as they tend to get it before lambing as opposed to cows which get it while in milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Would ketovut be the same or similar to chanatol?
    I have a twin bearing ewe here with twin lamb I’d say. She’s pig fat. I gave her 50 ml of chanatol Just there, along with injecting her with 60ml of calciject. She is depressed enough looking, and not interested in feed at all

I'd say it is. It's what my vet has and all I've ever used in that line of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yep same thing, gets called all sorts although not truely milk fever in ewes as they tend to get it before lambing as opposed to cows which get it while in milk.

I've never seen it, probably because I always bought rations,

wrangler wrote: »
    I've never seen it, probably because I always bought rations,

As opposed to a nut is it? What would be the difference for this scenario?

As opposed to a nut is it? What would be the difference for this scenario?

There's no difference, nuts might have more molasses or something to make the nuts.
    Millers would have calcium included in the feedstuffs, they'd also have a full range of vitamins and minerals included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

Question in relation to land leasing, would it pay or be profitable for a trained young farmer to lease grassland with entitlements at roughly 300 euro an acre for just sheep farming? I know everyone has to start somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

DJ98 wrote: »
    Question in relation to land leasing, would it pay or be profitable for a trained young farmer to lease grassland with entitlements at roughly 300 euro an acre for just sheep farming? I know everyone has to start somewhere

Depends on the entitlements. Plus the type of ground and whether there's fencing/paddocks already in place.

There are exceptions (Wrangler?) but for most sheep farmers, a stocking rate of 4 ewes/acre would be good. Teagasc will say 5.

From 4 ewes, you could expect to sell 6-7 lambs most years. After all costs, you might have 30 euro per lamb, but there's lots of variables so this figure might swing up and down a bit.

That gives you around 200 euro per acre before you pay out 300 for the lease.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

How much are the entitlements?

I couldnt make anything above e180 an acre pay on back of fagbox calculations(excluding entitlements)......with present lamb prices,could bump upto maybe 240?? (Might re-run figures at end of year and see,if just for the interest sake)

Though they are in serious bubble/over inflated territory now and i wouldnt be doing long term calculations on a lamb price of e150 a head

Depends on the entitlements. Plus the type of ground and whether there's fencing/paddocks already in place.

There are exceptions (Wrangler?) but for most sheep farmers, a stocking rate of 4 ewes/acre would be good. Teagasc will say 5.

From 4 ewes, you could expect to sell 6-7 lambs most years. After all costs, you might have 30 euro per lamb, but there's lots of variables so this figure might swing up and down a bit.

That gives you around 200 euro per acre before you pay out 300 for the lease.

It's not on to farm sheep and pay €300 acre for land and expect to make a profit, Our sheep are only a hobby now, If we run out of grass now we get the snacker and cobs,
    Looking back to 2012 when we hosted a sheep conference and IFJ did a proper Profit Monitor for the event and came up with €940/ha gross margin, you'd wonder could it be done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

If you get naked acres and the young farmer top up your looking at payments of €175 an acre.

Assume it’s fenced and good quality land you could carry 4 ewes per acre (10 / ha)

As discussed here before a net profit of €50 a ewe is good going so your income would be €375 an acre.

It’s a lot of work for a small profit and that’s not accounting for a lower stocking rate or buying ewes at start....for me €300 an acre is too much. Your carrying all the risk and doing all the labour for a very small reward....and that’s all going to plan !

It's not on to farm sheep and pay €300 acre for land and expect to make a profit, Our sheep are only a hobby now, If we run out of grass now we get the snacker and cobs,
    Looking back to 2012 when we hosted a sheep conference and IFJ did a proper Profit Monitor for the event and came up with €940/ha gross margin, you'd wonder could it be done now.

If you got a year like last with the drought theres no way you could turn that sort of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

How are young farmers supposed to be encouraged into farming and to expansion when they can't get a look in at land for sale or lease, constantly competing against the bigger man

How are young farmers supposed to be encouraged into farming and to expansion when they can't get a look in at land for sale or lease, constantly competing against the bigger man

There is some stock relief etc available,if yous have a green cert?

Theres also this,i dunno how applicible it will be for yous

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/6e97d8-young-farmers-scheme/

But,you'll find it,v.difficult to.compete vs dairy,i simolt couldnt (they are starting to struggle to compete vs coolmore in my area now,with much whinging).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Had to do a caesar on a hogget at Xmas time, took out a brute of a dead lamb and she had peritonitis and growths on her uterus and gut. Obviously she'd never been in lamb before, so must have got an infection through something she ate. Her uterus kept rupturing every time the vet handled it to stitch it up, eventually got her sown back together after about a two hour surgery.
    Sold her today, got £87 for her. Called to the vets for a bottle of pen strep and settled the bill while I was there.
    Fees for the caesar were £78 and drugs were another £16.
    Not much profit in her!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Had to do a caesar on a hogget at Xmas time, took out a brute of a dead lamb and she had peritonitis and growths on her uterus and gut. Obviously she'd never been in lamb before, so must have got an infection through something she ate. Her uterus kept rupturing every time the vet handled it to stitch it up, eventually got her sown back together after about a two hour surgery.
    Sold her today, got £87 for her. Called to the vets for a bottle of pen strep and settled the bill while I was there.
    Not much profit in her!!

A live ewe , I'd be very happy. Easily be digging a hole for her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Oh, there'll be plenty of those by the time April has come..
    It was more the cost of the Caesar, haven't had one in years, think the last one was about £40ish about 5/6 years ago.
    In fairness to this Vet group they do employ seriously talented vets, there's a more local vets to me but they only have one senior vet, the rest are all new graduates who have seen very little sheep or cattle work and they only ever stay about 12/18 months max. I've given up taking anything but routine cases to them, as I've seen them struggle too many times with cases.

In saying that I'd imagine having a vet student/wife on hand for lambing time with a full kit would be useful and easily pay for itself, like the couple in This Farming Life.

• Advertisement

I'd be happy too - it'd help pay her costs!

Lost one here 2 weeks ago after a caesarean.

* Twins dead inside her
    * An hour loading her into a trailer and bringing her to the local disposal yard
    * 20 quid to the disposal yard to get a slip of paper in case of an inspection
    * Vets bill to come at the end of the month

But yeah, sheep farming is flying apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I'd be happy too - it'd help pay her costs!

Lost one here 2 weeks ago after a caesarean.

* Twins dead inside her
    * An hour loading her into a trailer and bringing her to the local disposal yard
    * 20 quid to the disposal yard to get a slip of paper in case of an inspection
    * Vets bill to come at the end of the month

But yeah, sheep farming is flying apparently!

Its sort of like the store lamb that decides to die just before you sell them, but not until they've finished eaten a bag or two of meal ;-)

Not much profit in her!!

It's for nothing really, GP charged me €110 yesterday for 15 mins plus the use of the blood pressure monitor for 24hr

There was a post earlier about a lad paying €300 per acre for rent. I've been following a few scotch farmers on social media who all rent farms. They seem to rent whole farm at manageable rates https://www.gov.scot/publications/tenanted-agricultural-land-scotland-2016-17/pages/3/

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

Not much profit in her!!

in fairness that is good value ,and when compared to other so called proffessional fees I have been quoted very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭eire23

There was a post earlier about a lad paying €300 per acre for rent. I've been following a few scotch farmers on social media who all rent farms. They seem to rent whole farm at manageable rates https://www.gov.scot/publications/tenanted-agricultural-land-scotland-2016-17/pages/3/

Did anyone watch this farming life on BBC the last couple of weeks? One couple last night were after taking on a farm On the Isle of bute, probably a big enough farm by the sounds of things on a 20 year lease. No one must own farms over there? All landlords I persume and long term leases that come up every so often. Be very hard to invest money in a place when ya know it will never be yours I'd have thought

It's for nothing really, GP charged me €110 yesterday for 15 mins plus the use of the blood pressure monitor for 24hr

You had right to ask the vet to check your blood pressure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

eire23 wrote: »
    Did anyone watch this farming life on BBC the last couple of weeks? One couple last night were after taking on a farm On the Isle of bute, probably a big enough farm by the sounds of things on a 20 year lease. No one must own farms over there? All landlords I persume and long term leases that come up every so often. Be very hard to invest money in a place when ya know it will never be yours I'd have thought

I worked on a farm in yorkshire that was on 100 year lease off the crown, every 10 years there was a review to see if farmer and landlord were happy. I was there in 2014 and lease was up in 2018 but the crown/landlord were happy to start another 100 year lease at that stage ! from what info i could get you would want to be making **** of the place to lose the lease and if you do any big investment such as drainage or putting in roads etc you can claim some money back against the rent.

Obviously we all love the idea of owning our own place but its a great option for a young farmer who doesnt own land.....not like in Ireland where you struggle to get land on much more than the 11 months !

If the vet prescribes medicine for a sheep, what is the withdrawal period for that medicine if it is not licensed for sheep? A Bord Bia inspector told me before but I’m not 100% what he said now. I think it was 28 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

So..I went to a goat farmer today for some goats milk for a foal at work... managed to come home with a 2week old kid as a lockdowndistractionfor the children.. lamlac says 150g per litre of milk.. dont trust my scales..does anyone have a rough idea of how many tablespoons or how much that is..

Advertisement