Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

roosky wrote: »
    I worked on a farm in yorkshire that was on 100 year lease off the crown, every 10 years there was a review to see if farmer and landlord were happy. I was there in 2014 and lease was up in 2018 but the crown/landlord were happy to start another 100 year lease at that stage ! from what info i could get you would want to be making **** of the place to lose the lease and if you do any big investment such as drainage or putting in roads etc you can claim some money back against the rent.

Obviously we all love the idea of owning our own place but its a great option for a young farmer who doesnt own land.....not like in Ireland where you struggle to get land on much more than the 11 months !
    Is it royalty and they descendants who own most of the farms then I wonder? And would the rent be steep?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

Is it royalty and they descendants who own most of the farms then I wonder? And would the rent be steep?

It varies from region to region most of nothumberland is tenanted whereas there would be more freehold in wales.The Crown, dukes etc, MOD etc ,but also large investment instutions like insurance companies and trusts so the beatrix potter trust leases out farms in cumbria. Traditionally there were tenancies for 3 generations (approx 100 years) with relatively low annual rent and good security of tenure the landlord /tenant relationship is completly different over there.
    But thatcher brought in farm business tenancies (10-15 years) which pushed up rents and cost of land by making it more attractive for hedge funds etc because it was easier to dump out tenants .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

I always got the impression that many tenant farmers were not exactly rolling in it despite having much more acreage and livestock numbers than ourselves. The rent might not be huge but it did seem to take a chunk out of the profits.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

So..I went to a goat farmer today for some goats milk for a foal at work... managed to come home with a 2week old kid as a lockdowndistractionfor the children.. lamlac says 150g per litre of milk.. dont trust my scales..does anyone have a rough idea of how many tablespoons or how much that is..

Your scales are as likely to be right as any rule-of-thumb or approx measure

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

I had a Ewe lamb this evening with twins. When checking her teats for milk she seems to have mastitis in one side as the stuff coming out is very solid sort of yellow stuff. 99% sure it wasn't just thick colostrum.
    So just wondering what's the best way for me to treat it - should I continue to draw it out and what medicine if any would be most suitable to give her without affecting the milk the other side as she'll need all she can produce there.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Sami23 wrote: »
    I had a Ewe lamb this evening with twins. When checking her teats for milk she seems to have mastitis in one side as the stuff coming out is very solid sort of yellow stuff. 99% sure it wasn't just thick colostrum.
    So just wondering what's the best way for me to treat it - should I continue to draw it out and what medicine if any would be most suitable to give her without affecting the milk the other side as she'll need all she can produce there.
    Thanks

Hardly need oxytoscin and not letting down milk properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

Hardly need oxytoscin and not letting down milk properly?[/QUOTE

Don't think so - it's coming down alrit but just doesn't look great.
    I'll draw her out again tonight anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Sami23 wrote: »
    Thanks

I had one like that last year. Vet gave me mastitis tubes and an antibiotic injection I think. Milked the affected side dry twice a day and used the tube. From what I remember she came back into milk and reared her lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

Has any one spread fertiliser on grazing ground yet? What would be best to spread at this time of year CAN or a compound?

DJ98 wrote: »
    Has any one spread fertiliser on grazing ground yet? What would be best to spread at this time of year CAN or a compound?

Leave it in the yard til ground temp is at least 8-9C for a few days in a row. Grass won’t grow below that.

CAN for immediate grass. Nitrogen is essentially a grass accelerator more than a fertiliser. And if grass isn’t growing, there’s nothing to accelerate.

Spread a compound if you’re looking to build P and K levels, but again better to wait for milder weather.

Good read here on Spring grass and spreading nitrogen: https://www.facebook.com/1161444260573591/posts/1332643683453647/?d=n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

put out half a bag to the acre of urea on some of the grazing ground here Friday,will do the rest that has a bit cover on it over the comming week..i wouldnt be afraid to put out can from now on once its dry but regardless of what form of nitrogen id spread this time of year id like grass up to my ankle bone..any lower id be going with cattle or pig slurry instead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

For fluke dosing ewes at this time of year, would you still need the proper fluke drench or would the fluke old enough along the cycle that a ordinary drench like levafas diamond to do adult fluke do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Leave it in the yard til ground temp is at least 8-9C for a few days in a row. Grass won’t grow below that.

CAN for immediate grass. Nitrogen is essentially a grass accelerator more than a fertiliser. And if grass isn’t growing, there’s nothing to accelerate.

Spread a compound if you’re looking to build P and K levels, but again better to wait for milder weather.

Good read here on Spring grass and spreading nitrogen: https://www.facebook.com/1161444260573591/posts/1332643683453647/?d=n

Also don't freak out if there is a bit of yellowing on grass tips at this time of year - its nothing to do with lack of N but more related to temporary frost or wind damage that quickly goes again once proper spring time temps/conditions arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Noticing a bit of growth now. Going to try get a load of pig slurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Noticing a bit of growth now. Going to try get a load of pig slurry.

Watch the docs after it.

Was just looking at the calf price thread on here.. mad that 3 calves sold for a fiver in some mart over the weekend and you cant buy a pet lamb for less than 30 euro. I wonder will the poor beef prices cause an influx into sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have a tams application in for sheep hurdles and other bits but have yet to get approval. I will be needing the hurdles this week to set up the shed in preparation for lambing. If I buy the hurdles before I get the approval (if I get the approval) can I claim back the grant on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

Have a tams application in for sheep hurdles and other bits but have yet to get approval. I will be needing the hurdles this week to set up the shed in preparation for lambing. If I buy the hurdles before I get the approval (if I get the approval) can I claim back the grant on these?

No sorry you need tams approval before any investments are made

Was just looking at the calf price thread on here.. mad that 3 calves sold for a fiver in some mart over the weekend and you cant buy a pet lamb for less than 30 euro. I wonder will the poor beef prices cause an influx into sheep

I couldn't see many new entrants (those who never had sheep) but those with sheep and sucklers might build ewe numbers a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Well, is it right too in a way (not saying calves should be so low in price)

But, aren't calves a by-product. Milk is primary product, calves are created to get to the milk...

Whereas with lamb - it is the primary product.

Now, I might be biased :rolleyes: :)

As for lads entering sheep - maybe you might see more lads buying some store lambs, I don't see many going lambing.

• Advertisement

As for lads entering sheep - maybe you might see more lads buying some store lambs, I don't see many going lambing.

thats probably the run of it alright.

Well, is it right too in a way (not saying calves should be so low in price)

But, aren't calves a by-product. Milk is primary product, calves are created to get to the milk...

Whereas with lamb - it is the primary product.

Now, I might be biased :rolleyes: :)

Agree they are a by product and maybe i'm soft but still sad all the same to see a life valued at so little.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Agree they are a by product and maybe i'm soft but still sad all the same to see a life valued at so little.

My father always told me stories of the 80's when calves hit rock bottom.. he said lads came out of mart to find calves on their trailers left by people that wanted rid
    Also some of those Jersey bull calves would take longer to get to 45kg than a pet lamb.. unfortunately a share of those calves will be put down on bigger farms as is the norm in new Zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Oh, I agree Kev.

I don't think any animals valued at 'throw away' prices is good for anyone. But nor do I think calves valued at very high money is good either...

My father always told me stories of the 80's when calves hit rock bottom.. he said lads came out of mart to find calves on their trailers left by people that wanted rid

I tried rearing calfs years ago around the year 1999 .Remember going to the mart and buying good quality semential and Belgium blue calves a few weeks old for £18-£20. Bullocks and heifers, no difference in prices. Only did it for a few years to eat abit of grass. Dont know what they'd make these days, but looking back it seemed fair cheap then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Asked to update sheep register for an elderly neighbour,just checking to be sure,was it from 2019 or 2020 that sheep purchased in mart etc just kept their original tag for life and did not need to be retagged when they came into his flock?

Thanks for any replies,he bought in ewes and hoggetts both years.

Asked to update sheep register for an elderly neighbour,just checking to be sure,was it from 2019 or 2020 that sheep purchased in mart etc just kept their original tag for life and did not need to be retagged when they came into his flock?

i just enter the tag of the sheep into my register when i buy it. i didnt think you could/should remove the previous tag to add your own??.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Well before these years..

If he has the copy of the dispatch document just write that in with date etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

my best guess would be about 2013 or 2014 when that changed so no need to retag sheep when bought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

sheep would sicken you at times..out this morning to find a big strong single suffolk x ewe kicking her last kicks at the feeding barrier..was happily eating silage at 8.30 last night and to make it worse had a twin bearing hoggets ewe with bits of a rotten lamb hanging out through the back of her prolapse harness...fair play to anyone with big numbers of sheep

Advertisement