Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

sheep would sicken you at times..out this morning to find a big strong single suffolk x ewe kicking her last kicks at the feeding barrier..was happily eating silage at 8.30 last night and to make it worse had a twin bearing hoggets ewe with bits of a rotten lamb hanging out through the back of her prolapse harness...fair play to anyone with big numbers of sheep

Lost 3 twin-bearing ewes and 2 more prolapsed before there was any live lamb on the ground here this year.

I was only thinking the same about having big numbers of them. You'd want to be very well set up with shed space, individual pens, feeding area, etc. And you'd want to have been breeding your own for years too so that ewes who give trouble could be culled and you'd reduce the chances of trouble by only keeping ewe lambs off the best ewes.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lost 3 twin-bearing ewes and 2 more prolapsed before there was any live lamb on the ground here this year.

I was only thinking the same about having big numbers of them. You'd want to be very well set up with shed space, individual pens, feeding area, etc. And you'd want to have been breeding your own for years too so that ewes who give trouble could be culled and you'd reduce the chances of trouble by only keeping ewe lambs off the best ewes.

People talk about change in systems but I believe it takes five years before you won't be getting surprises in a new system, With sheep in particular it's about taking precautions and a closed flock is nearly only way . Pink eye is rampant this year and is definitely bought in to clean flocks.

In any lambing year it's always the s..tty lambings that comes first I find

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I lost 4 to putting out their guts and 3 more to toxo. That was early on but touch wood no real issues since.
    Well bar these two examples. Had a ewe scanned for 2 and she had two fine lambs. Saw her forcing the next day and took a dead lamb from here. She was well sick and didn’t she lay on one of the healthy lambs. So she’s gone off with one.
    The other only happened yesterday. It was the sheep I asked here about twin lamb disease, I treated her and she pulled trough. Anyhow she was scanned for two also. I took a foetus from here and two big strong healthy lambs and penned them all up. An hour later she had another lamb herself, small but healthy looking but dead if that makes sense. Then she ended up lying on the two alive lambs, at different times. Now it’s not like she was sore or bad feee or anything, she was good and hardy.
    Also had a lot of pink eye early on. Seemed to stop now again thought.
    Wrangler I am thinking of buying in hoggets instead of breeding my own. Had sufflock x mules and mules for the first time this year and rate them way ahead of my own ewes re milk and mothering ability. Dunno if the lambs will sell as well, time will tell. But I found my own sheep were getting very big and mightn’t milk great for a day.
    Will be vaccinating anything bought in anymore enzo and toxo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

roosky wrote: »
    my best guess would be about 2013 or 2014 when that changed so no need to retag sheep when bought

It's mainly checking on ewe lambs he would have bought before electronic tags needed to go in breeding stock iykwim....ewe lambs bought in would have only needed one ordinary tag in them for mart....then it changed that once they went over a year of age they needed to have electronic tag set put in them I thought?....mainly for fellas buying ewe lambs and selling them as hoggetts and he does that so just wondering what year that came in that hoggetts being sold needed two tags,one of them being electronic....I think it was 2018 or 2019?.
    Up to that most farmers selling ewe lambs only put the plain tags in them as didn't want the expense of electronic tags.
    Thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

sheep would sicken you at times..out this morning to find a big strong single suffolk x ewe kicking her last kicks at the feeding barrier..was happily eating silage at 8.30 last night and to make it worse had a twin bearing hoggets ewe with bits of a rotten lamb hanging out through the back of her prolapse harness...fair play to anyone with big numbers of sheep

Feel ur pain - the year before last I had a ewe within 2 weeks of dropping twin lambs manage to drown herself in a glorified puddle:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

It's mainly checking on ewe lambs he would have bought before electronic tags needed to go in breeding stock iykwim....ewe lambs bought in would have only needed one ordinary tag in them for mart....then it changed that once they went over a year of age they needed to have electronic tag set put in them I thought?....mainly for fellas buying ewe lambs and selling them as hoggetts and he does that so just wondering what year that came in that hoggetts being sold needed two tags,one of them being electronic....I think it was 2018 or 2019?.
    Up to that most farmers selling ewe lambs only put the plain tags in them as didn't want the expense of electronic tags.
    Thanks for any replies.

I buy lambs and sell as hoggets - looking at flock register I retagged in 2018, but not 2019
    Not sure that helps you or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Just reading comments there about buying in diseases with sheep and it got me thinking about my own set up here, I had a closed flock for a good few years and had no Enzo or codd etc

Back in 2019 I had to drop ewe numbers as I was working away from home a lot and I didn’t lamb ewes in 2020 or this year ....Instead I bought ewe lambs and ran them to hoggets.

The hoggets are no craic so thinking about putting a bunch of them to the ram this back end and starting lambing again.

My worry now is where so I start with vaccines or a flock health plan because I have over 200 hoggets here from a large number of different farms so god knows what they could potentially have !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

I buy lambs and sell as hoggets - looking at flock register I retagged in 2018, but not 2019
    Not sure that helps you or not?

Yeah thanks that makes sense I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

Just reading comments there about buying in diseases with sheep and it got me thinking about my own set up here, I had a closed flock for a good few years and had no Enzo or codd etc

Back in 2019 I had to drop ewe numbers as I was working away from home a lot and I didn’t lamb ewes in 2020 or this year ....Instead I bought ewe lambs and ran them to hoggets.

The hoggets are no craic so thinking about putting a bunch of them to the ram this back end and starting lambing again.

My worry now is where so I start with vaccines or a flock health plan because I have over 200 hoggets here from a large number of different farms so god knows what they could potentially have !

Once you have the Enzo and the other one can't think of the name of it.. Vaccinated you should be OK IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

anyone bring a cull ewe to the factory lately?. Have one there that repeated a few times. would i be better off going to the factory or the mart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    anyone bring a cull ewe to the factory lately?. Have one there that repeated a few times. would i be better off going to the factory or the mart?

Brought a few to mart today. Worked out what they'd likely make in the factory based on what the weighting scales and they achieved the upper end of my estimation in the mart. So mart seems to be as good as any atm.

kk.man wrote: »
    Once you have the Enzo and the other one can't think of the name of it.. Vaccinated you should be OK IMO.

Ya i would vaccinate for Toxo anyway because that can be in hay/straw or even in the field so that will have to be done....just dont like the idea of doing enzo vaccine for ever more....its a big cost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Ya i would vaccinate for Toxo anyway because that can be in hay/straw or even in the field so that will have to be done....just dont like the idea of doing enzo vaccine for ever more....its a big cost

But as long as you have a closed flock, its just a one time cost isn't it?

Or, if you did buy in a batch of hoggets, you would have to treat the new hoggets once, and that's it?

Or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Cheap insurance

But as long as you have a closed flock, its just a one time cost isn't it?

Or, if you did buy in a batch of hoggets, you would have to treat the new hoggets once, and that's it?

Or am I wrong?

It’s a live vaccine so your introducing Enzo to your flock so all replacements need it to protect them

It’s a live vaccine so your introducing Enzo to your flock so all replacements need it to protect them

we used to let ewe lambs into lambing shed,for stragglers lambing and few weeks post lambing,to pick up any infections/diseases etc

Slight difference from yous,starting effectively with a new flock though

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Having bad start to lambing here. What do you ye lads / ladies do with a lamb with intestines out through the navel at birth? It was a twin and I don’t know did ewe bring it out or what the story was but I couldn’t get any of it back in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have a lamb here being reared on a bottle, when he's breathing he sounds like he has a dry cough or draw but she has been in a warming box since early yesterday so I don't think it's pneumonia or a chill just more like heavy breathing, drinking and in good form, anyone ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jd310

Ewes due a fluke dose, there due to lamb on the 20th or so, would it do the dose do them any harm now? I’ve a feeling it will be alright it’s more the knocks and bangs will do the damage but just asking to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mayoireland

Well I dosed for fluke last week and are due 9th of march I've alway dosed near lambing so I dont need to go near sheep until after lambing and lambs are stronger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

We wouldn't normally blanket dose adult sheep, we'd only dose a few poor ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Anyone got a good spreadsheet for recording data at lambing time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Anyone got a good spreadsheet for recording data at lambing time?

Not exactly what you wanted but I downloaded an app on my phone. It’s a tally counter and you can name as many different counts that you want. So I had ewes lambed, live lambs, lambs born dead, lamb deaths after birth etc etc.
    Found it very useful but you have to input the info there and then as when ewes are lambing all sides you lose your bearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

joe35 wrote: »
    We wouldn't normally blanket dose adult sheep, we'd only dose a few poor ones.

Fluke is very different to worms, all sheep should be treated for fluke if in a susceptible area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lost a quad today with twin lamb. Tried to induce her but I think I was just too late, she had already been down for a couple of days. She was the one ewe I have that won't eat nuts. Just couldnt get the nutrition into her. Typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

anyone know what to give lamb a few days old for a white scour? i gave a bit of a sinulox tablet and spectam, also gave 2 ml alamycin

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Dickie10 wrote: »
    anyone know what to give lamb a few days old for a white scour? i gave a bit of a sinulox tablet and spectam, also gave 2 ml alamycin

Is the lamb off form? You’ve hit him with 3 antibiotics there already so that will kill most things!! If he’s off form I’d concentrate on getting fluids into him, life aid or something like that to keep him hydrated. It’s common practice in calves with scour to give oral rehydration but seldom thought of with lambs. I think it’s more important than what drugs you give in both lambs and calves, they mostly die from dehydration not the bug that they had initially.

Brought a few to mart today. Worked out what they'd likely make in the factory based on what the weighting scales and they achieved the upper end of my estimation in the mart. So mart seems to be as good as any atm.

Have a zwarbtle ram to go too. Mart or factory for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Tileman

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Have a zwarbtle ram to go too. Mart or factory for him?

Mart I’d say with current prices. At least u can bring him home if ure not happy. Factory will only give around 2.20 up to 40 for a ram. Well that’s what they will quite u.

• Advertisement

Tileman wrote: »
    Mart I’d say with current prices. At least u can bring him home if ure not happy. Factory will only give around 2.20 up to 40 for a ram. Well that’s what they will quite u.

Stuck him on adverts there and will bring him to the mart next week if he doesn't go in the mean time

http://www.adverts.ie/23105067

Advertisement