Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have had a number of ewes lamb here with milk in just one side, all were checked at weaning, is there anything to suggest why this may be happening? Also is there anything that can be done to get the milk coming in both sides?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads - I have a hogget (2020) that threw her lamb yesterday. Could she be thrown in with a batch of hoggets at the Mart?

She probably threw a rotten lamb. I wouldn't like to be eating her

DJ98 wrote: »
    Have had a number of ewes lamb here with milk in just one side, all were checked at weaning, is there anything to suggest why this may be happening? Also is there anything that can be done to get the milk coming in both sides?

Unfortunately some won't be detected at mating, and some get affected after. There's nothing you can do only cull. have you had more than usual this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

wrangler wrote: »
    Unfortunately some won't be detected at mating, and some get affected after. There's nothing you can do only cull. have you had more than usual this year

3 out of the 20 lambed so far this year, but only had 1 out of 102 last year

DJ98 wrote: »
    3 out of the 20 lambed so far this year, but only had 1 out of 102 last year

Good years and bad years ......... like prolapses, and no obvious explanation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Have a few hoggets still in the shed here. Noticed one of the little lads ones had a sort of foam on one side of her mouth this morning. They are usually on ad lib ewe & lamb nuts and middling silage available at all times but had run out of nuts yesterday until we got more this morning. Hardly would have bloated without nuts would she?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

She probably threw a rotten lamb. I wouldn't like to be eating her

Think I asked the factory a few years ago about cull ewes like that and was told leave them a few weeks post lambing to recover before slaughtering them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Ewe down here with bad shakes. She has 2 lambs a fortnight old but I took them away to give her a chance. I’m giving her 40ml calcium and 200ml of electrolytes (Chanatol) every day since Tuesday but she’s no better.

Is it worth trying anything else? Or would she be improving now if she was going to come round?

Thought she was better yesterday evening and up eating a bit, but she’s down again today

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Ewe down here with bad shakes. She has 2 lambs a fortnight old but I took them away to give her a chance. I’m giving her 40ml calcium and 200ml of electrolytes (Chanatol) every day since Tuesday but she’s no better.

Is it worth trying anything else? Or would she be improving now if she was going to come round?

Thought she was better yesterday evening and up eating a bit, but she’s down again today

Is there magnesium in the calcium, sounds like grass tetany

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Has anyone ever had a ewe rear her two lambs with only one tit , have one here now with only one spin and lambs are two weeks old and she’s till rearing them .

• Advertisement

Is there magnesium in the calcium, sounds like grass tetany

I’ll check in the morning. If there’s not, I’ll get some at the vets office straight away. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Did you call vet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Have a few hoggets still in the shed here. Noticed one of the little lads ones had a sort of foam on one side of her mouth this morning. They are usually on ad lib ewe & lamb nuts and middling silage available at all times but had run out of nuts yesterday until we got more this morning. Hardly would have bloated without nuts would she?.

Are they ram lambs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

I would be giving a lot more than 40ml if a ewe went down. Id put at least 120ml into her the first time then 40 everyday after

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

razor8 wrote: »
    Are they ram lambs?

No a little ewe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Young95 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever had a ewe rear her two lambs with only one tit , have one here now with only one spin and lambs are two weeks old and she’s till rearing them .

Yes, they can do it but lambs rarely thrive. Definitely cull her.

arctictree wrote: »
    Yes, they can do it but lambs rarely thrive. Definitely cull her.

She's liable to get mastitis too from the lambs oversucking her, that's usually what happens here when we try to get a ewe to rear three

For some reason we've had to pull every charolais here this year, their average weight is 5.25kg so they're not monsters, the ewes just won't settle down to lamb them.
    The charolais lambs did exceptional thrive last year so won't be getting rid of the ram

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

should a ewe lamb away with prolapse harness on her?

Did you call vet?

I checked and there’s magnesium in the calcium product (can’t recall the brand name).

I thought it was 10ml calcium per 20kg weight? She’s still alive this morning anyway so I might give her 100ml and see if it kills or cures her!

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    should a ewe lamb away with prolapse harness on her?

Yes but sometimes the lamb can get caught in part of the strap/harness on the way out.

It’s a sheep - anything could happen!

Try to keep an eye on here. If you see a water blister out, take the harness off maybe and watch her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Should lambs get a drench for Coccidiosis?

For some reason we've had to pull every charolais here this year, their average weight is 5.25kg so they're not monsters, the ewes just won't settle down to lamb them.
    The charolais lambs did exceptional thrive last year so won't be getting rid of the ram

First year trying a char ram here, I'm really hoping this won't be my experience :pac:

First year trying a char ram here, I'm really hoping this won't be my experience :pac:

It won't, I just looked up his stars, he's one star for lamb survivability, which'd be the way but for our intervention,

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JayBally

First year with ewes and I am 2 weeks from lambing went to the shed today and 1 of my ewes dead. I had them out on good grass during the day and in at night I think they are in too good of condition. They are only getting a taste of concentrates to get them in at night. Should I leave them in on hay and licks ir what do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

It won't, I just looked up his stars, he's one star for lamb survivability, which'd be the way but for our intervention,

Had one here last year tall ram. Lambs were getting caught at the elbows once we'd pull the legs a bit it'd pop out no bother. Went with the vendeen this year for ewe lambs hope he throws handy enough lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Tileman

JayBally wrote: »
    First year with ewes and I am 2 weeks from lambing went to the shed today and 1 of my ewes dead. I had them out on good grass during the day and in at night I think they are in too good of condition. They are only getting a taste of concentrates to get them in at night. Should I leave them in on hay and licks ir what do people think?

It’s hard to know what she died from without seeing her. It’s unlikely she was in too good condition. They don’t die from that on its own although it could lead to other complications.
    It’s more likely the opposite. Could be twin lamb disease and u might need to increase the amount of meal you are feeding. Or it could be any of a number of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Last year i lambed hoggets (yearlings) with N.Z. Suffolk blood in them. Some of them were terrible for pucking and rejecting lambs, about 5 out of 20 had to be put in the adoption gates for up to a week. I wasn't impressed!

A first crop N.Z. Suffolk lambed during the night, the first of the season. She was all about the lambs but kept going around in circles when they were trying to suck. She also gave a good 6 hours roaring, very frustrating to listen to and watch.
    A texel first crop lambed after, not a sound out of her and stood like an aged ewe while the lambs sucked!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Some of my lambs have gotten lame with some kinda new thing to me...

It’s a nasty b’stard, whatever it is - it starts usually at the front of the cleat, where the cleat meets the foot... starts as a little sore, and breaks out so the entire shell of the hoof is gone...

Even catching it early, I have failed to stop it progressing...

Anyone know what exactly it is? I think it might be CODD is it?
    Anyone recommend a good treatment?

horrible fecking thing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Some of my lambs have gotten lame with some kinda new thing to me...

It’s a nasty b’stard, whatever it is - it starts usually at the front of the cleat, where the cleat meets the foot... starts as a little sore, and breaks out so the entire shell of the hoof is gone...

Even catching it early, I have failed to stop it progressing...

Anyone know what exactly it is? I think it might be CODD is it?
    Anyone recommend a good treatment?

horrible fecking thing...

Sounds like CODD. Id say talk to the vet but used draxin on ewes that I had trouble and it worked. Dear stuff but killed it.

Advertisement